Stand Up 2 Cancer

Started by RealSpiritof98, October 17, 2014, 09:31:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RealSpiritof98

Just got ate by herself for saying this gig is a load of corporate/commercial nonsense. I read an article about Cancer research a few years ago and really blew my mind, cant quite put my finger on it atm but ill try and get it up but from it i've refused to donate to to Cancer Research from it. I donate to the people the care for patients. ''Donate to the carers not careers'' is the essence of my point. I will gladly be corrected and admittedly im not and expert on the issue. Anyone watching this tonight, lots of quality entertainment.

RealSpiritof98

Lloyd what an inspiration, i was won over by that.

Mike Sheehy

One of the most dispiriting things about gaaboard is the way these nonsense opinions go unchallenged.

Back in the 90's my cousin was diagnosed with cancer and died 3 weeks later. 20 years later the same strain of cancer is treatable. This is what western civilization/capitalism  has given us and yet people come on here and talk about "corporate/commercial nonsense".This is the kind of shit that truly makes my blood boil.

ONeill

£10m will go a long way towards care for cancer patients. If that's where it's going, great.

If it's going towards "research"..... I sceptical about its effectiveness.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: ONeill on October 17, 2014, 11:26:01 PM
£10m will go a long way towards care for cancer patients. If that's where it's going, great.

If it's going towards "research"..... I sceptical about its effectiveness.

How do you define "effectiveness" in relation to research ? The majority of research does not result in "miracle" cures but cures, miracle or otherwise, are built off the back of many years of research. The "effectiveness" can take years to materialize.

dec

The reason why many cancers are treatable now is because of money spent on research.

ONeill

How much does the government commit to cancer research? I know the British gov commit £4.5 billion to science research, or they did. How much of that goes to cancer research is unknown.

That's why these shows are a bit.....star vehicle.

ONeill

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: ONeill on October 17, 2014, 11:56:20 PM
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/thousands-of-patients-to-benefit-from-400-million-cancer-package

400 million sounds pretty reasonable.

Just to put things in perspective a company like Intel will spend 500 million to develop a chip to read barcodes. ...and that's not a dig at Intel...to mass produce such a product with such generic functionality with bells and whistles added  is not trivial.

So if a government is putting 400 million aside for "research" as described in that article I'd say they are making a wise choice.

ONeill

Agree, but do you see what RealSpirit means now?

Channel 4 and these celebs are manipulating people for their own selfish reasons (not all I'd imagine) to contribute insignificant amounts towards an insignificant target. All for ratings and profile. Are they defiling charity? What will their 5er be used for? Does it benefit the state more than those in need?

The alternative argument is what harm is it doing.

muppet

Quote from: ONeill on October 18, 2014, 12:28:39 AM

Channel 4 and these celebs are manipulating people for their own selfish reasons (not all I'd imagine) to contribute insignificant amounts towards an insignificant target. All for ratings and profile. Are they defiling charity? What will their 5er be used for? Does it benefit the state more than those in need?

F*ck it, research is a lottery but it comes up trumps every now and then. It has to be worth it in the long run.

I didn't see this show so can only guess at how cheesy it might have been. But it still has to be worth it.

A mate of mine took it upon himself to organise a big fund raiser for the Irish Cancer Society a few years ago. He got great assistance from a few often maligned organisations, e.g. An Gárda Síochana. To say it was a success would be an understatement. It raised a lot more than a high profile, very well publicised event, that ran at the same time. No disrespect to them, they gave their free time and expertise, but he had far less resources.

The ICS couldn't believe it when the money came in. In fact they couldn't believe it before the money came in and were quite disinterested. But surely the screening and research they do must save lives? So was it worth it?
MWWSI 2017

ONeill

What was the money used for?

muppet

MWWSI 2017

Mike Sheehy

On second reading I am not sure if he was railing against channel 4 or cancer research. If it was the former, fine, I agree with you/him.

There is too much cynicism. What I have seen over the years is that "healthy" anti-establishment has morphed into this complete , nihilistic worldview that twists anything that is good (medical breakthroughs, spread of democracy) into something sinister  (pharma profiteering, imperialistic intent). 

RealSpiritof98

when i see today that my broke country donates 600million to aid and these back slappers are enhancing their profile for a total over 4 weekends of £14million, Kate moss Noel Gallagher and Naomi whats her face 'london property portfolio' would dwarf this figure.

I too watch these shows and i get sucked in by the bravery of the victims because you know that they are real, their stories are heart wrenching and thats watch helps curb the dissent.  Obviously research into the cure of this decease is important but i cant help but think the cure for this decease has been found long ago. I now can have a full blown computer on my wrist!!!!!!!

Really when you think about it the most powerful nation in the world like america lets an Ebola health worker fly within days of treating a patient. Was that  an accident? Who really knows but i know my feelings. Pearl Harbor, twin towers they all lead to offensives. Cancers cure leads to hundreds of thousands losing their jobs in America alone. Politicians can take a hit of 700 jobs going but not a whole scale industry in one go. Im sorry for my pessimism but its hardly a coincidence that Israels saviour Mikesheedy is on  the blower pronto.