Adam Johnson court case

Started by Longshanks, February 12, 2016, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on February 13, 2016, 06:27:36 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on February 13, 2016, 03:14:48 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 13, 2016, 02:15:54 PM
Ray Rice. Adrian Peterson.

Sacked immediately by their teams?! Spoofer of the highest order.

In fairness I wouldn't equate what Peterson did with Johnson. That said I wouldn't think you could sack him as it went through the courts but they could have suspended him.

If you try to claim that American sports will ditch you at the first sign of trouble that could pose problems for the image of the team/club/franchise, it's a valid comparison.

The exceptions prove the rule. But the ones you mention prove my point.

Adam Johnson isn't even the the ballpark of importance that AP is to his team and yet he was suspended for a season for a less serious offence. Ray Rice was fired because of a single incident with his wife, just because it took them a few months to cop how seriously they erred doesn't mean a thing - Rice didn't play another down for Baltimore after the incident. And again he was far more important to his team than Adam Johnson.

If a player was charged with being a paedophile the NFL wouldn't let him play again until he was proven innocent, the team wouldn't even have the option of doing what Sunderland did. The tolerance for this stuff is far less in American sport, and rightfully so.

gallsman

Sticking with Baltimore, Ray Lewis LITERALLY KILLED SOMEONE and played for another decade +

Minder

Quote from: Syferus on February 13, 2016, 08:10:38 PM

In fairness I wouldn't equate what Peterson did with Johnson. That said I wouldn't think you could sack him as it went through the courts but they could have suspended him.

If you try to claim that American sports will ditch you at the first sign of trouble that could pose problems for the image of the team/club/franchise, it's a valid comparison.

Adam Johnson isn't even the the ballpark of importance that AP is to his team and yet he was suspended for a season for a less serious offence. Ray Rice was fired because of a single incident with his wife, just because it took them a few months to cop how seriously they erred doesn't mean a thing - Rice didn't play another down for Baltimore after the incident. And again he was far more important to his team than Adam Johnson.

If a player was charged with being a paedophile the NFL wouldn't let him play again until he was proven innocent, the team wouldn't even have the option of doing what Sunderland did. The tolerance for this stuff is far less in American sport, and rightfully so.

Ray Rices production had fallen off a cliff before that incident, he was pretty much done so it was an easy decision for Baltimore to make.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

gallsman

Also, Rice's contact was terminated in September. It's fairly widely acknowledged that all parties involved had all the videos from day one back in March.

Syferus

Quote from: gallsman on February 13, 2016, 09:22:02 PM
Sticking with Baltimore, Ray Lewis LITERALLY KILLED SOMEONE and played for another decade +

Far, far from being as simple as that but you'd know that well.

clarshack

Doesn't look good for him at all. He's finished in the UK even if he's found not guilty of the other charges. If for argument sake he gets off on those charges, how likely is he able to play again say in a different country?

NAG1

Quote from: clarshack on February 13, 2016, 11:33:13 PM
Doesn't look good for him at all. He's finished in the UK even if he's found not guilty of the other charges. If for argument sake he gets off on those charges, how likely is he able to play again say in a different country?

Can't leave the country? Sex offender?

clarshack

Quote from: NAG1 on February 14, 2016, 12:09:15 AM
Quote from: clarshack on February 13, 2016, 11:33:13 PM

Can't leave the country? Sex offender?

did gary glitter not leave the UK?

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: Syferus on February 13, 2016, 08:10:38 PM

Eh, Floyd Mayweather (on abuse claims)? It is all about the green...
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

heganboy

I assume Syferus is on full wind up merchant mode

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

gallsman

Quote from: Syferus on February 13, 2016, 11:20:02 PM
Quote from: gallsman on February 13, 2016, 09:22:02 PM

Far, far from being as simple as that but you'd know that well.

Of course it's not, but in case you've forgotten, your claim was that anyone even associated or connected to serious crime would be booted out without proof of criminal responsibility.

seafoid

There was another case of a footballer with a sexual offence court case. He was also dropped by the club. There is a bit of a thing going on in UCD with a lad culture. Imagine what it is like in English soccer with virtually limitless money
sloshing around.

AZOffaly

Jamais Winston? Syferus I think you are a bit Naive here. Sport stars in the states are protected as much or more than anywhere Now if something comes out and public opinion begins to shift, and they think ye might lose money, then yes, they are all over it. Hence the Ray Rice debacle last year and the Adrian Peterson over reaction.

gallsman

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2016, 08:45:37 AM
Jamais Winston? Syferus I think you are a bit Naive here. Sport stars in the states are protected as much or more than anywhere Now if something comes out and public opinion begins to shift, and they think ye might lose money, then yes, they are all over it. Hence the Ray Rice debacle last year and the Adrian Peterson over reaction.

Particularly if it's a valuable player. Look at Blake Griffin a few weeks ago ffs, the clippers tried to sweep it under the carpet.

Boycey

Johnson himself in the dock today... Looks like its going to come down to his word against hers on the two charges he's not admitted.