Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigpackiechestout

I was disappointed to see Mugsy in the papers trying to stir up controversy in return for a few quid from Paddy power. I think he was particularly harsh on Morgan and don't think that a fellow Tyrone man, and former team mate of Nialls, should be sticking the knife in like this. He said that Brennan would kick the longer range frees blindfolded, if Mugsy was watching Tyrone in the league this year at all he would know this is not the case. Lee racked up a big tally from frees throughout the league but it has to be said that a number of these were handy ones from close in and that he was guilty of missing a few longer range ones. It's also very easy to say that Lee should hit, and would score, all of our frees but the fact remains that he hasn't been tested in the white heat of a championship match that is in the balance so the jury should remain out until this happens.

Mugsy also claimed that our style is too defensive and that he would like to see Lee, Bradley, Skeet and Harte all playing closer to goal. Again, has he not been watching Tyrone this year? This was exactly the forward line v Donegal and Mayo in our good run towards the end of the League and Niall Sludden was also playing further up the pitch.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 03, 2018, 10:35:50 AM
I was disappointed to see Mugsy in the papers trying to stir up controversy in return for a few quid from Paddy power. I think he was particularly harsh on Morgan and don't think that a fellow Tyrone man, and former team mate of Nialls, should be sticking the knife in like this. He said that Brennan would kick the longer range frees blindfolded, if Mugsy was watching Tyrone in the league this year at all he would know this is not the case. Lee racked up a big tally from frees throughout the league but it has to be said that a number of these were handy ones from close in and that he was guilty of missing a few longer range ones. It's also very easy to say that Lee should hit, and would score, all of our frees but the fact remains that he hasn't been tested in the white heat of a championship match that is in the balance so the jury should remain out until this happens.

Mugsy also claimed that our style is too defensive and that he would like to see Lee, Bradley, Skeet and Harte all playing closer to goal. Again, has he not been watching Tyrone this year? This was exactly the forward line v Donegal and Mayo in our good run towards the end of the League and Niall Sludden was also playing further up the pitch.

I didnt get reading it but did Mugsy state that none of the Tyrone forwards would have got on any of the Tyrone teams that won All Ireland.
Agree of Disagree? IMO its hard to disagree, Certainly not in the first 2 all Ireland wins anyway!!
Maybe Sludden would be the only one who would come close to it and even at that you'd have to throw him in at wing forward cause B.McGuigan certainly wouldnt be replaced

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 03, 2018, 11:38:13 AM

I didnt get reading it but did Mugsy state that none of the Tyrone forwards would have got on any of the Tyrone teams that won All Ireland.
Agree of Disagree? IMO its hard to disagree, Certainly not in the first 2 all Ireland wins anyway!!
Maybe Sludden would be the only one who would come close to it and even at that you'd have to throw him in at wing forward cause B.McGuigan certainly wouldnt be replaced

He's absolutely correct. None of them would have got onto the teams of the 00s. That in itself is no insult, just reality.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 03, 2018, 11:42:22 AM

He's absolutely correct. None of them would have got onto the teams of the 00s. That in itself is no insult, just reality.

Are we not classing Matty Donnelly or Petey Harte as forwards? Because either of them would have made those teams. In case you have all forgotten, Ryan Mellon, Marty Penrose and Tommy McGuigan all started in All Ireland finals in the 00s.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 03, 2018, 11:53:36 AM

Are we not classing Matty Donnelly or Petey Harte as forwards? Because either of them would have made those teams. In case you have all forgotten, Ryan Mellon, Marty Penrose and Tommy McGuigan all started in All Ireland finals in the 00s.

Did Penrose start All Ireland Final? I cant rememenber

Mellon was outstanding, that performance against the Dubs in the rain where he scored the goal, Man off the match in All Ireland final? He certainly would never have been droppped from that team!

Tommy McGuigan-  Goal in the All ireland final!!

Even at this, where would you put Matty and Harte then Corner forward? Because both Matty and Harte have shown they arent  half the player they are on the full forward line..
Dont get me wrong great players but as forwards on the 00's team, I dont think so.
Ill use an example..

Dooher McGuigan Mellon
Mugsey Canavan Oneil

Who do you drop?

chieftain

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on May 03, 2018, 12:34:58 PM

Did Penrose start All Ireland Final? I cant rememenber

Mellon was outstanding, that performance against the Dubs in the rain where he scored the goal, Man off the match in All Ireland final? He certainly would never have been droppped from that team!

Tommy McGuigan-  Goal in the All ireland final!!

Even at this, where would you put Matty and Harte then Corner forward? Because both Matty and Harte have shown they arent  half the player they are on the full forward line..
Dont get me wrong great players but as forwards on the 00's team, I dont think so.
Ill use an example..

Dooher McGuigan Mellon
Mugsey Canavan Oneil

Who do you drop?

Did that forward line ever start together?

southtyronegael

I wouldn't be too worried about if our current forwards would have been good enough to win all Irelands in the past. I wanna see if they are good enough to win one THIS year!

southtyronegael

Christmas Lights

Incredible article from Mugsy, loved it.  Top top slating. Had all the subtly of a car wreck.  Refreshing to see rather than the same boring nonsense you see people pedal in interviews week in and week out.

Also, is there a method to Mugsy's madness, it will surely spur on the slated ones to perform better.  Possibly the boot in the hole they needed?

trailer

Going back a bit, but Niall Morgan shouldn't be on the field never mind taking the frees. A complete liability.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: Christmas Lights on May 03, 2018, 12:59:12 PM
Incredible article from Mugsy, loved it.  Top top slating. Had all the subtly of a car wreck.  Refreshing to see rather than the same boring nonsense you see people pedal in interviews week in and week out.

Also, is there a method to Mugsy's madness, it will surely spur on the slated ones to perform better.  Possibly the boot in the hole they needed?

I'd have less of a problem with Mugsy sticking the boot in if it was based on facts. Enda McGinley and Philly Jordan are two that give reasoned analysis, often criticising Tyrone and pointing out their flaws but doing it in an informed manner.

longballin

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 03, 2018, 02:01:42 PM

I'd have less of a problem with Mugsy sticking the boot in if it was based on facts. Enda McGinley and Philly Jordan are two that give reasoned analysis, often criticising Tyrone and pointing out their flaws but doing it in an informed manner.

Philly does, Enda certainly doesn't.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: longballin on May 03, 2018, 02:17:07 PM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on May 03, 2018, 02:01:42 PM

Philly does, Enda certainly doesn't.

Doesn't what? In my opinion Enda is one of the best pundits around and definitely don't think he is a Tyrone 'cheerleader' in any way.

GetOverTheBar

Neither are forwards, but if you want to class as a forward - Peter Harte, maybe would be knocking the door. Donnelly doesn't get a snff.

For me Harte is a wonderful player, but a Dooher/Cavlin/McGuigan/O'Neill/Mulligan/Canavan/Penrose he is not.

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 03, 2018, 03:51:41 PM

Neither are forwards, but if you want to class as a forward - Peter Harte, maybe would be knocking the door. Donnelly doesn't get a snff.

For me Harte is a wonderful player, but a Dooher/Cavlin/McGuigan/O'Neill/Mulligan/Canavan/Penrose he is not.

In my opinion Penrose isn't fit to lace Peter Harte's boots and Matty Donnelly is a better half forward than Ryan Mellon ever was