The NI Legacy Bill

Started by seafoid, September 07, 2023, 08:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

There are people who don't know what happened to their families. While it didn't happen in my family I would be pretty sure if it happened in mine I would want to at the very minimum know what happened to them. You look at the likes of Lisa Dorrian and some of the disappeared etc sure they barely even know where their family end up. People need some form of closure. It doesn't need to be convictions or money.

The head of the police resigned mainly due to incompetence.

restorepride

Quote from: seafoid on September 10, 2023, 11:11:26 AM
When the head of the police has to resign because of something related to the troubles, how can the North move on anyway ?
And the Wolfe tones. #Jaysus
Seafóid seafóideach ach ní ionadh ar bith sin.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: restorepride on September 10, 2023, 11:07:15 AM
Awful comment in the context.
Awful because it's true?

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 10, 2023, 11:21:48 AM
There are people who don't know what happened to their families. While it didn't happen in my family I would be pretty sure if it happened in mine I would want to at the very minimum know what happened to them. You look at the likes of Lisa Dorrian and some of the disappeared etc sure they barely even know where their family end up. People need some form of closure. It doesn't need to be convictions or money.

Agree 100% that nobody should have to live carrying that with them. The perpetrators of these types of crimes, where there is no body and no closure, are no better than Brady and Hindley.

LC

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 10, 2023, 12:49:12 PM
Awful because it's true?

Agree 100% that nobody should have to live carrying that with them. The perpetrators of these types of crimes, where there is no body and no closure, are no better than Brady and Hindley.

Agree fully with you TB but there are a lot of people who would not want to see their dirty linen washed in public, the Shinners as much as anyone, despite them disagreeing with the legacy bill and all that. 

seafoid

The Troubles saw a society descend into savagery. Everything could be justified. The folder has to be addressed.
But South Africa was probably worse and they did it.

There is no time limit on trauma.
The families of the Ballyseedy massacre a century ago recently got an apology.
It's cheaper to fix it now rather than leave it and do nothing.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

restorepride

Awful because it's true?

Awful because it was awful and shows a total lack of respect for victims. Says more about your skewed perception of justice. Quite British really.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: restorepride on September 10, 2023, 06:51:24 PM
Awful because it's true?

Awful because it was awful and shows a total lack of respect for victims. Says more about your skewed perception of justice. Quite British really.
I asked a question earlier about the scope of inquiries but there was no answer. I 100% support inquiries into acts of collusion or cases like Aidan McAnespie's where people have been killed by security forces who apparently were operating at a "higher standard" than terrorists, but having a carte blanche approach just isn't sustainable.

trailer

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 12, 2023, 07:33:36 AM
Awful because it's true?

I asked a question earlier about the scope of inquiries but there was no answer. I 100% support inquiries into acts of collusion or cases like Aidan McAnespie's where people have been killed by security forces who apparently were operating at a "higher standard" than terrorists, but having a carte blanche approach just isn't sustainable.

So some victims are worth an investigation but others aren't? That isn't really a credible approach.

johnnycool

Quote from: trailer on September 12, 2023, 08:47:47 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 12, 2023, 07:33:36 AM
Awful because it's true?

So some victims are worth an investigation but others aren't? That isn't really a credible approach.

Well, due to collusion/ineptitude or whatever some murders were never really investigated properly. Others received the full force of the RUC which is the way all should have been investigated.