Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

Boxing is slowly dying and needs a major clean up - consolidate the belts and promotions to a maximum of 3 and clean up the divisions.
MMA and boxing can definitely co exist. But boxing does need better promotion and less bullshit to survive.

Harrison is way out of his league
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DennistheMenace

They will never consolidate the belts, too much money at stake.

BennyHarp

Quote from: ross4life on September 07, 2010, 05:25:18 PM
Sky are desperately trying to hype up this Harrison v Haye fight but in truth boxing is at all time low it's only saving grace will be Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight of course the rise of UFC/MMA hasn't helped

Who would want to watch this fight? Harrison simply dies not deserve a shot at a world title! He had been taking the boxing public for ride for years, claiming to a potential world champion, even after getting beaten by no hopers - I can't believe anyone would buy tickets to watch this tripe or pay for it on pay per view!!
That was never a square ball!!

Schkite

Quote from: BennyHarp on September 07, 2010, 07:37:45 PM
Quote from: ross4life on September 07, 2010, 05:25:18 PM
Sky are desperately trying to hype up this Harrison v Haye fight but in truth boxing is at all time low it's only saving grace will be Mayweather vs Pacquiao fight of course the rise of UFC/MMA hasn't helped

Who would want to watch this fight? Harrison simply dies not deserve a shot at a world title! He had been taking the boxing public for ride for years, claiming to a potential world champion, even after getting beaten by no hopers - I can't believe anyone would buy tickets to watch this tripe or pay for it on pay per view!!

I bet the British public will lap it up regardless. Sky will have it hyped up unreal, first all-British heavyweight title fight in years and all that, in reality it's a poor event but some people will buy into whatever Sky tell them. Doesn't say much for Haye either, ducking the Klitschkos again.

Atticus_Finch

Yeah British public will lap it up.  Always find it funny how just because a British fighter is involved means that it's on Sky Box Office while the true big fights over the past while e.g. Mayweather vs Mosley, Cotto vs Pacquiao are not on Sky Box Office.  While i'd rather not have any fights on SBO at all, i'm happy with the fact that the fights that are put on SBO i wouldn't pay to see them anyway  :D  I thought that Amir Khan's horiffic pay per view debut may have seen the end of the pay per view for the British fighter but apparently not !

I find it pretty hard to get excited about the heavyweight division full stop these days but i'm going to try and pretend to be looking forward to it and make a prediction.

I think it will be a lot closer than the bookies are suggesting.  Reckon it will go the distance with Haye out pointing Fraudley.  Don't think there will be that much in it.  While i wouldn't go so far as to say i was impressed by Fraudley against Sprott, no one can deny that he showed a bit of heart which is a bit of a rarity for him.  Fraudley will do his best to keep Haye at bay with his jab but ultimately haye should be too quick but for him without troubling him enough to stop him.

It does make you wonder about the state of the heavyweight division when they are talking about matching the winner of this fight with the winner of the Sexton vs Chisora fight.  The only heavyweight pairing that would interest me is if the Kitschko brothers renounce their brotherly love and fight each other.  Would also like to see how Haye would fare against Vitali.  But guess we're going to have to wait until these heavyweight battles of britain have come to an end !
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Hound

While there's no way Audley deserves his title shot, he does have a dynamite left hook which always gives him a chance.

nrico2006

Quote from: Hound on September 08, 2010, 10:24:40 AM
While there's no way Audley deserves his title shot, he does have a dynamite left hook which always gives him a chance.

Plus Haye is a bit suspect when it comes to taking a decent punch.

Hopefully Haye challenges one of the Klitschko brothers after this, as he is still looking to retire for next Octoberish which will give him realistically 2 fights at max after this farce.  He talked the talk after winning the belt, saying that he would fight who the public wanted him to fight, then he goes and fights a man recently beaten by a taxi man and a few other journeymen.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

beer baron

Haye's lost a lot of peoples respect im sure after taking this fight!Harrison is average at best and this is just a payday for sparring partners(i'd say the whole slagging each other things an act) and as usual haye is sure to get plenty of media attention after his "this will be as one sided as gang-rape" comment.Heavyweight has been going downhill for the past decade and looks like it will continue!

tyroneboi

Talk about Sky and their hype machine for Box Office events, just seen an advert there for a box office event on September 18th which will have 7 fights featuring all British boxers. To tell you the truth, if they were fighting in the front garden I would close the curtains. It would be interesting to see the sales for that event. They would be bound to be making a loss on it.

As for the Haye-Harrison fight, Haye will probably want to put on a show and I can see an early knockout. Its a poor division overall which is demonstrated by the fact Harrison is getting a shot in the first place.

tyroneboi

This Klitschko fight on now would be a good cure for insomnia. Terrible fight so far.

BennyHarp

Should just end it now! Yer mans done! I find the Klitschkos very boring to watch though!

tyroneboi

He is far too good for this fella who has been out on his feet for the past 4 rounds. The amount of holding onto each other is ridiculous.

BennyHarp

Ref should have stopped that much earlier!!

tyroneboi

No doubt poor call from the referee there. Peter's eyes were more or less closed for the last few rounds.

Redhand Santa

You's would have been safer watching the local man Brian Magee on RTE. Impressive and has a decent chance of getting a shot at the WBA titile now.