Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 24, 2009, 01:36:45 PM
The packet racket wants his chance now - he is some craic!

Quotehttp://www.skysports.com/opinion/story/0,25212,12533_5094320,00.html

Shouldn't he have retired years ago?  Dunne could get some big money fights now that he is World Champion, nothing to gain by fighting Wayne, and for Wayne's own sake he should retire.  There is too much to lose and nothing to gain by fighting McCullough.

heganboy

feel sorry for wee wayne. Have done since I saw his wife interviewed, she was wearing wee picture frame earrings with pictures of wayne winning his belt (i had typed "wayne in the ring" there but decided it would be for the best if I removed that reference).

His power is gone, what little he had, and this leaves him in the position where his chin is all that keeps him in fights. His scoring punches are not doing any damage to fighters at all and he will only win if he has a very scoring punch oriented scorers and his opponent is not strong enough to do him damage over the duration of the fight...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

The Iceman

I am both saddened and sickened by Wayne.  Wayne was a good enough ambassador for Irish boxing in his time but he should stick to writing articles, commentating and some D-list appearances at boxing matches.
Trying to jump on Dunne's success is sickening.  Let Bernard have his glory.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Jimmy

Taken from www.bbc.co.uk/sport

Amir Khan will get his first chance at a world title on 27 June when he fights WBA light-welterweight champion Andreas Kotelnik in Britain.

The 22-year-old from Bolton defeated Mexican legend Marco Antonio Barrera in their lightweight contest in Manchester last month.

But he will move up a division to take on Germany-based Ukrainian Kotelnik at an as-yet undecided venue.

"To fight for the world title in only my 22nd fight is fantastic," said Khan.

"This is the best news that I could have received. Frank (Warren, promoter) has done a great job getting the world title fight for me in Britain and now I have to go out and win it.

"I've seen Kotelnik a few times and I've always been impressed by him but once my trainer Freddie Roach works out the game plan to beat him it's my job to execute it on the night, as I did effectively against Barrera."

Following his knockout defeat by Breidis Prescott last September, Khan's hopes of a world title fight seemed a distant hope.

However, the performance against Barrera, which saw him win courtesy of a fifth-round technical stoppage, has put him back on track.

Most of his campaigning until now has been in the lightweight division where he won the Commonwealth, WBO and WBA intercontinental titles but he beat Rachid Drilzane for the IBF intercontinental light-welterweight title in December 2006 in London.

Kotelnik, who won Olympic lightweight silver at the 2000 Games in Sydney, four years before Khan did the same in Athens, has fought in Britain three times previously.

His first fight, in 2005, saw him beaten by Junior Witter in a European light-welterweight title fight.

In 2007 he held then WBA World Champion Souleymane M'Baye to a draw and last year he beat Gavin Rees to win the WBA crown.

Promoter Warren said: "This is the moment that Amir has been waiting for and I'm delighted to deliver him the opportunity.

"Amir put in a sensational performance against a three-time world champion and future Hall of Famer in Barrera in only his 21st fight and now he has to produce the same form against Kotelnik, who is a good hard fighter."

Interesting that he goes up to light-welterweight for a world title fight as he is ranked in the top 10 for the various light-weight belts. Being only a casual fan of boxing I was wondering is he moving up because this guy would seem to be easier to beat than any of the light-weight champions or do you think the oppertunity presented itself and he had to take it. If he wins it could set up a big pay day with Hatton.

YogiBear

Steve Bunce ran a competition on his boxing hour last month when people had to decide who they thought was the worst world champion past or present.  Khan was on the show and Buncey asked him who he thought was the worst current world champion of any weight and he said Kotelnik, I wonder will he regret saying that when they meet in June.  Suppose it does tell you why he has moved up.  Just for the record Hatton would destroy Khan and I couldn't see Warren let that happen for a while yet. He has a bit more money to make out of Khan against mediocre or washed up opponents before he lets him face a great fighter like Hatton.

Katchit

I despise Warren with a passion, obviously milking Khan for all he is worth, which in boxing terms isn't alot. He'll be found out  (again) soon enough.

Hatton will never fight Khan, why would he when he can contest with the best pound for pound fighters in the world and making a packet at the same time.

I've alot of respect for Roach but I'd love to see Khan fall on his ass in his next few fights, wouldn't be much comeback from another KO.

Rav67

Any thoughts on the Winky Wright v Paul Williams fight tonight?  Winky hasn't fought in 2 years since getting beat by Hopkins at light-heavyweight, he's back down at a more natural weight for him tonight but 2 years is a long time to be out of the ring and he's 37 now... I fancy Williams to beat him on points

Katchit

Quote from: Rav67 on April 11, 2009, 07:24:39 PM
Any thoughts on the Winky Wright v Paul Williams fight tonight?  Winky hasn't fought in 2 years since getting beat by Hopkins at light-heavyweight, he's back down at a more natural weight for him tonight but 2 years is a long time to be out of the ring and he's 37 now... I fancy Williams to beat him on points

Good shout and correct decision by the judges, Williams boxed much better.

Archie Mitchell

Golden Boy Retires

QuoteBoxing legend Oscar de la Hoya has announced his retirement from the sport at the age of 36.

De la Hoya, nicknamed 'the Golden Boy', held world titles at six different weights and ends with a win loss record of 39-6 with 30 knockouts.

"When I cannot compete at this level, I have come to the conclusion that it is over," said the Mexican-American.

"Knowing you are never going to fight again is a tough decision but I am looking forward to the future."

De la Hoya won a gold medal at the Barcelona Olympics in 1992 and won 10 world titles, first at super-featherweight, before moving eventually through to middleweight.

He beat Julio Cesar Chavez for the light welterweight championship twice and claimed the unofficial crown of the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world when he beat Pernell Whitaker for the WBC welterweight crown in 1997.

In 2007, he lost to Floyd Mayweather Jr but it was defeat by Manny Pacquiao last December, his last fight, that pushed him towards retirement.

De la Hoya added: "This was a decision I was going back and forth with, thinking I can do it one more time.

"But it's not fair to me, it's not fair to the fans, it's not fair to nobody. I've come to the conclusion that's over, it's over inside the ring for me."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/7999178.stm

Onion Bag

Lads, im heading over to Vegas end of July, anyone know of any fights that may be taking place around that time, Ive always wanted to go to a fight in Vegas
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

The Iceman

Quote from: Onion Bag on April 15, 2009, 09:07:33 AM
Lads, im heading over to Vegas end of July, anyone know of any fights that may be taking place around that time, Ive always wanted to go to a fight in Vegas

I'm sure the UFC will be in town at the end of July.  I've only made it to one live event and the atmosphere is amazing lad.  Its not Croke Park but it is a great event.

Hatton should be in town too
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

bridgegael

is there anyone showing the taylor/froch fight on sat night??   setanta or sky??   should be a good fight i would think,  very hard to know what way it would go.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

guy crouchback

frogh's last fight was on itv

Rav67

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on April 23, 2009, 05:21:03 PM
Quote from: bridgegael on April 23, 2009, 05:05:24 PM
is there anyone showing the taylor/froch fight on sat night??   setanta or sky??   should be a good fight i would think,  very hard to know what way it would go.

I read somewhere I think that no British television organisations signed up to televise this fight.  I think froch even had a pop at them saying it was their loss if they didnt show it.  If this is true, then its a disgrace as Frochs last night was a clinker.

Yeah would have thought ITV would have stumped up for it after the last fight but they didn't.  It's being televised in US though so should be available online if you're keen to see it.

glens73

The Froch v Taylor fight is on ITV4 on Sunday at 8.30pm and ITV1 at 11.15pm on Sunday. It is on live on a website (FrochvTaylor.com) but for £9.95

http://www.boxingnewsonline.net/BN08/detail.asp?id=1116