Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

I would agree with Main Street, Dunne was brilliant from the 6th on.  The 5th was crazy, Dunne came out and caught Cordoba who went down although it was given as a slip and then Dunne looked like he was going to be knocked out, reminded me of a fight he was in 2005 when he dominated a fight against a man (Voronin) and got caught in the last round and was like Tony Baloney outside the Armagh City Hotel at 2am on a Saturday night.
As for Lee, he needs to get a few more fights in and start fighting for titles (i.e. Irish, European etc).  Why has Lee/Duddy/Macklin or even Jim Rock not fought each other to even determine Irelands order insetad of pussy footing around the globe to satisfy their little American friends.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

glens73

Quote from: nrico2006 on March 22, 2009, 02:59:36 PM
I would agree with Main Street, Dunne was brilliant from the 6th on.  The 5th was crazy, Dunne came out and caught Cordoba who went down although it was given as a slip and then Dunne looked like he was going to be knocked out, reminded me of a fight he was in 2005 when he dominated a fight against a man (Voronin) and got caught in the last round and was like Tony Baloney outside the Armagh City Hotel at 2am on a Saturday night.
As for Lee, he needs to get a few more fights in and start fighting for titles (i.e. Irish, European etc).  Why has Lee/Duddy/Macklin or even Jim Rock not fought each other to even determine Irelands order insetad of pussy footing around the globe to satisfy their little American friends.

The plain and simple reason for this is cash!, if one of them gets a version of a world title, then potential fights are worth a lot more.

As Steve Bunce often says fights are only made when they make cash common sense!

nrico2006

It seems obvious in Duddy's case that the irish-american card is being played but surely Lee is making big bucks and as individuals they are bound to be a bit more motivated by glory instead of money.  Well, you would like to think so
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

glens73

I know what you mean but promoters won't be rushing to make the fights until one of them gets a world title, then it becomes so much bigger. It's all about money, boxing.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Delighted for Bernard, that was some titanic effort. Great fight.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

leenie

pure class of a fight....

bernard was in the right the place ...... fair play! so delighted for him...

to be honest enjoy the fight ever so slightly more than the rugby....
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: Rav67 on March 22, 2009, 11:19:19 AM
That's a hell of a division that Dunne is in, it or welterweight would probably be the strongest of the lot- Vasquez, Marquez, Caballero, de Leon all super-bantam.  Any chat about who he'll fight next?  I suppose he'll be looking to go to America to fight one of those if he could.

Seen on ceefax there that Munroe feels he's run out of options with his European belt and wants to fight for a Commonwealth title then take on the winner of last night's fight. Whether his promoter (is it Warren or Moloney?) will be willing to let Brian Peters promote that fight in Dublin is another thing. There was certainly no meeting of minds over a European title clash. Kiko Martinez would be an interesting proposition for a voluntary defence. Would certainly be a big draw and given Dunne's improvement since July 2007 added to Martinez's stagnation, you'd expect Dunne to win comfortably. How much longer will Peters be able to keep these fights in Dublin?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

TacadoirArdMhacha

Watched the fight again - still great viewing!

In hindsight Dunne was slightly fortunate at the end of the 5th. He took a lot of shots and another referee might have stepped in, particularly if it hadn't been so close to the end of the round. Whoever said Cordoba won every round from 6 to 10 is being very harsh. Thought on the replay there that Dunne took the 7th, 8th and 9th.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2009, 10:57:40 PM

In hindsight Dunne was slightly fortunate at the end of the 5th. He took a lot of shots and another referee might have stepped in, particularly if it hadn't been so close to the end of the round. Whoever said Cordoba won every round from 6 to 10 is being very harsh. Thought on the replay there that Dunne took the 7th, 8th and 9th.

Watched it myself again,without the distraction of rugger buggers in my way..
Christ it was a great fight,real Rocky stuff!
Do you think he would have won on points if the fight had gone the 12 rounds?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on March 22, 2009, 11:01:48 PM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on March 22, 2009, 10:57:40 PM

Watched it myself again,without the distraction of rugger buggers in my way..
Christ it was a great fight,real Rocky stuff!
Do you think he would have won on points if the fight had gone the 12 rounds?

I don't think he was as far ahead on points as Jimmy Magee and Dave boy seemed to think. Last night at the start of the 11th, I said to Da that I thought he'd need at least 1 of the last 2 rounds to take it.

I think I gave Cordoba the 1st, 5th (is it 10-7 or 10-8 for 2 knockdowns), 6th, 10th and Dunne the 3rd (10-8), 4th, 7th, 8th and 9th. 2nd was very tight from what I remember. Would have been tight but I think Dunne had just about done enough.

Louth Exile

It was an amazing fight, great stuff, Dunne has improved himself no end in the last couple of years, but as a boxer and a person.
He had a cocky attitude a couple of years ago that would make plenty of people happy to see him lose. I was happy when he was dumped on this hole in the first round a couple of years ago, yet I roared him on from start to finish last night.
Great fight, great achievement, Great finish to a massive day in Irish sport
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Galwaybhoy

What a fight!  As a boxing fan I must say I took more delight in Dunne's win than in the Rugby!  An amazing night, I was shouting at the TV, I have never been so nervous over a sporting event in years.  I have said for the last four or so years, even before Dunne lost to Kiko when the bandwagon was in full swing that he would never win a world title, but I'm delighted he proved me wrong.  I thought he would never survive that fifth round, but fair play to both men, they put on a great fight.

As for the ref, he was great, handled everything very well, don't know why people were complaining about him not stopping the fight earlier, Cordoba got straight up the first two times he was knocked in the 11th and he did not look hurt, so the ref was right to give him the chance to fight on.  If the ref felt the same as some of the people who thought he didn't stop the fight on time well then we would never have got past the fifth round, it would have been over the second time Dunne went down.  The ref wasn't at fault for what happened to Cordoba and thankfully he is fully OK.

Great night for Dunne and for Irish sport.

BerfArmagh

Was at the fight, absolutely Brilliant (Have lost my voice  :-[ :-\) Dunne is a credit, he really came back after the 5th, which truth be told if it had of gone on another 20-30 seconds would have been all over. THe atmosphere was electric & I must say I was very very impressed with the O2. A brilliant venue, roll on the next boxing night out...

Andy Lee was very disappointing I thought, Katie Taylor was excellent, it was nice to see her getting a high billing.

Only downsight of the day/night were the rip off prices in Dublin... 25 yoyo for 4 plastic pints, 8 euro on the meter for taxis to pick us up... & they wonder why the economy in the south is in a jocker!!

lynchbhoy

thought Dunne was 4-2 ahead in rounds going into the 11th.

Am I correct in saying that he has dropped back down a weight division to his former naturalweight?
If so then his own professing of his punching being better when going back down to his natural weight was correct. He looked to have the punch that he prev didnt when fighting a couple of fights ago.

Andy Lee good boxer but defence a bit lacking at times, then again he was in the ring with a bit of a 'terminator' kind of guy - he kept coming and took a lot of punishment. Lee could have picked him off a bit more imo.
Easy said though !

great nights boxing.

Croí na hÉireann

Wouldn't be a boxing fan by any stretch but thoroughly enjoyed the fight on Sat. Dunne did well to see out the 5th round and couldn't believe the way he came back in the sixth. Would have preferred if they had the points up on screen like in the Olympics but we had Cordoba slightly ahead going into the 11th. What a round, some atmosphere in the boozer, was delighted to see him winning it on a knockout and that Cordoba didn't suffer any ill effects (ending slightly tainted the match, not a nice sight). I thought Dunne was playing to the crowd too much rather than concentrating on his own game but it all came good for him in the end. Well done Mr. Pintsize...
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...