Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Really enjoyed the boxing last night. Rogan fully deserved the win but Harrison is a disgrace. For a guy with the talent he has to be so shit is incredible. No guts and no brains.

De La Hoya never looked right and took a bit of a beating. Agree with assertions here that Hatton won't live with Pacman's speed, few would.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: glens73 on December 06, 2008, 06:56:51 PM
I've done a double on Pascal to stop Froch and Rogan to do the same to Harrison - combined odds of 76/1 with Ladbrokes, worth a flutter at those odds

Froch is widely tipped to beat Pascal but I'm not so sure about him, his hands are too low and Pascal is a dangerous fighter

As for Rogan if he puts plenty of pressure on Harrison he may well cave in.

I reckon Pacman could beat DLH with his speed being the decisive factor

Stuck a 10er on that double myself glens and though it didnt work out thought the performances of pascal and rogie made a mockery of those odds. When Froch stood toe to toe with pascal he def looked vulnerable and a stoppage for either fighter was on the cards until Froch started working from behind his jab and reach advantage in the later rounds. Thought Froch pulled away for that reason and also because Pascal ran out of steam and threw wild punches. Pascal also had an annoying habit of ducking down into low hooks and uppercuts

Don't think Frochs cut out for the very highest level and he would be stopped easily by the likes of Calzaghe/Kessler.

Missed Rogie v. Harrison but by the sounds of things it wasn't much of a fight - but I hear Rogan wasn't far away from the knockout at one time either
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

billy the kid

Quote from: billy the kid on December 02, 2008, 04:22:03 PM
Quote from: full back on December 02, 2008, 11:42:52 AM
With Ladbrokes

Audley Harrison  1 - 6 
Draw  25 - 1 
Martin Rogan  7 - 2 

Will have to seriously consider a wee flutter on Rogan.

Stuck 20 squid on Rogie - nice little earner coming up to shopping season ;D ;D ;D.

Glad to see Rogie and Dudey do the business at the weekend I used to work with rogie and used to play Hurling and Football with Dudey and both are really nice fellas. Really fancy Dudey to push on and make big waves at European and World level tbh. Rogie is well capable of taking a shot at a European belt also.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

corn02

Jason McKay next up, feast or a famine for us Irish fans. 13/2, Barker looks good, but at that price im throwinbg 20 on.

mattockranger

i'd save your money corn!.....mckay aint up to it
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

full back

Former undisputed world heavyweight champion Lennox Lewis will have his legacy confirmed in the sport after being named as an inductee to the 2009 International Boxing Hall of Fame.

Three-time heavyweight champion of the world Lewis headlines the class of 2009 that will be inducted at the 20th Annual Hall of Fame Weekend on June 11-14 in Canastota, New York.

43-year-old Lewis has been handed the honour in the first year of his eligibility and seals his position as one of the sport's greats.

Lewis retired in 2003 with a record of 41-2-1, with 32 knockouts and some landmark victories over the likes of Evander Holyfield and Mike Tyson.

Defeats
His only two professional defeats, surprising losses against Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman, were both avenged, and Lewis was thrilled to hear the news.

"Everybody, when they start something, always wants to leave some kind of legacy behind," said Lewis.

"I've been able to accomplish that. To be put in the Hall of Fame is an accomplishment that seals my legacy.

"It will always be there in history. People can read about it. It gives me great pride."

An Olympic gold medallist for Canada, Lewis announced himself with a stunning knockout of Donovan "Razor" Ruddock in 1992.

Lewis then had two memorable bouts with Holyfield, one a controversial draw and the second a unanimous decision to unify the heavyweight division.

Top six
"He definitely belongs in the top six heavyweights of all-time and would have been a threat to any heavyweight champion in history because of his size, his balance and his all-around skill," said Hall of Fame trainer Emanuel Steward.

"Lennox Lewis could do whatever he had to do to win a fight. He was a very diversified heavyweight champion."

Joining Lewis are American bantamweight champion Orlando Canizales and South African junior lightweight champion Brian Mitchell.

Posthumous honourees are middleweight champion William "Gorilla" Jones, welterweight champion "Mysterious" Billy Smith and middleweight champion Billy Soose in the Old-Timer Category.

"We're extremely excited about the class of 2009 and very much looking forward to honouring the 20th class of inductees," executive director Edward Brophy said.

"All living inductees are anticipated to attend and participate in 2009 Hall of Fame Weekend festivities."

Very good fighter
A great honour for any boxer to get

nrico2006

Nowhere near the top 6 of all time though. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

behind the wire

Quote from: corn02 on December 08, 2008, 08:42:47 PM
Jason McKay next up, feast or a famine for us Irish fans. 13/2, Barker looks good, but at that price im throwinbg 20 on.

is mckay fight still live on tv?

13/2 looks like a good prie to me. if hes well enough prepared he will definitely be in with a shout.
He who laughs last thinks the slowest

bridgegael

have seen mckay fight a good few times,  i can't see him winning on saturday night,  i just don't think he is up to that standard.  hopefully i'm wrong,  nice fella and would love to see him win.

just collected my winnings for my rogan-pacquaio double.  got £131 pound for me tenner. :)
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

bridgegael

i see enzo maccarinelli might be making the move to UFC,  he reckons he would do well in it.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

corn02

Quote from: behind the wire on December 10, 2008, 04:28:17 PM
Quote from: corn02 on December 08, 2008, 08:42:47 PM

is mckay fight still live on tv?

13/2 looks like a good prie to me. if hes well enough prepared he will definitely be in with a shout.

He has a lot of training behind him - nine full weeks.. Price is based on the Lee dfeat were he came in at two weeks notice.

The Iceman

Quote from: bridgegael on December 10, 2008, 07:11:04 PM
i see enzo maccarinelli might be making the move to UFC,  he reckons he would do well in it.

usual hype
he would be destroyed by plenty of fighter 3 or 4 stone lighter than him - I'd give him a good fight myself if I got him onto the ground

mayweather tried it once and it was enough - the skill needed in all disciplines now is too much - marcus davis was a top ten boxer - it took him about 3-4 years to adjust and he still isn't a top contender in his division
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mattockranger

[/quote]
mayweather tried it once and it was enough [/quote]

did he?? tell me more when and who did he fight?
will to win is important the will to prepare to win is vital

nrico2006

Davis was a top ten boxer where?  In his state or the world?  I would say he was a decent boxer in Boston but that was about it. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

its me again

would any where in newry be offering odds on the McKay fight???

does he have a chance?