Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nrico2006

Was curious about Setanta too, how to get the fight etc and if I had to pay subscription.

Can't wait and dunno what way it will go - if this fight had been at the turn of the lmillenium RJJ would have wiped the floor with him.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

bridgegael

if you suscribe to setanta ,you get the fight,  no extra payment needed.

anyone know who is on the undercard of the fight??  looking forward to this one.
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

corn02

I see Jason McKay has a British title fight next month. Tough test though.

FermPundit

Did anyone catch the Danny Williams fight on ITV4 tonight? He was defeated by Albert Sosnowski who was only a late substitute for the fight. He knocked Williams out in the 8th round. Big shock. Williams refused to do interviews afterwards. This could be the end of the road for him.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Carmen Stateside

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on November 08, 2008, 11:01:32 PM
Anyone know what time the Calzaghe-Jones fight is at in the morning so I know what time to set the alarm for??

I say it will be around 3 0r 4 in the morning with you! Just offered a ticket there a half hour ago, had to turn it down already plans made :(

TORGAEL

According to bbc website, the calzaghe fight is at 4.15 am our time,

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on November 08, 2008, 11:19:04 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on November 08, 2008, 11:16:19 PM
Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on November 08, 2008, 11:01:32 PM
Anyone know what time the Calzaghe-Jones fight is at in the morning so I know what time to set the alarm for??

I say it will be around 3 0r 4 in the morning with you! Just offered a ticket there a half hour ago, had to turn it down already plans made :(

Take it you live in New York Carmen?  Much buzz about the fight over there?

I hear it hasn't sold out. Calzaghe wouldn't be the draw Hatton is. B-Hop calls it for Jones Jr.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

hitzelsperger

Calzaghe wins by judges decision 118-109. fair play to him! shakey start but came good...thank god hes welsh and not english!

Rav67

I think that will be it for Joe now, if Pavlik had beaten B-Hop there would have been a massive clamour to make that fight happen but he was well-beaten and Pavlik just isn't the same attractive draw any more.  It would take another big-nam draw to tempt Calzaghe into the ring again after the hype of his last 3 fights but there just isn't one there.  After the fight the interviewer was asking Joe about fighting Chad Dawson, has anyone watched him fight?  I know he beat Tarver quite recently but I've never seen him box.

INDIANA

well he is now, some performance from calzaghe, 118-109 on all 3 scorecards.

The Iceman

HBO were blocking every website showing the fight for free last night - was a bit frustrating but I suppose I should have bought it if I really wanted to see it that bad.
I managed to watch it on a chinese TV station and got an english commentary feed from another site.
Calzaghe was rocked early and came back to dominate most of the fight. His work rate was second to none - he is a cardio machine and wore Jones down in the end.  The cut above Jone's eye made a huge difference to the fight and the last 3/4 rounds Jones was visibly defeated.
A great performance from the Welsh man, a great achievement in his career and now is the time to retire Joe - go out on top.

But he can't and I predict he wont.  There is still something missing with Calazaghe.  He has won all of his pro fights - but he has never really looked that good doing it.
The public aren't satisfied and neither will Joe be.  But that satisfaction will never come - Joe does not have and never will get at this stage in his career that X-Factor that Eubank, Benn, Hamed and Hatton possessed.

Retire now big lad -the memories of your performance will fade - but your record will stand the test of time and you will go down as one of the greatest of our generation
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Rav67

Quote from: The Iceman on November 09, 2008, 02:02:59 PM

But he can't and I predict he wont.  There is still something missing with Calazaghe.  He has won all of his pro fights - but he has never really looked that good doing it.

He looked awesome against Lacy I thought, that's the best performance I've seen him give and Lacy was quite a big favourite then from what I recall.  Joe demolished him that night.

milltown row

49 fights undefeated thats no mean feat iceman. full respect and he's beat all comers.

noticed he was wearing rossary beads once he came out of the ring and during his interview

The Iceman

I am not denying he demolished his opponents and I am taking nothing away from his record. 
I am talking about the Joe Calzaghe "Brand"

He will never be as popular as lesser fighters because he doesn't have that X Factor.  Because of that lack of popularity and brand appeal you always feel he has something more to do.  That's why I don't think he will retire.  He wants that popularity, that recognition.

David Beckham
Prince Naseem
Chris Eubank
Coby Bryant

X-Factor

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

nrico2006

Its moreso to with Calzaghe having beaten the big fighters who are way past their best.  Roy Jones and Hopkins are long past their prime, and he struggled to beat Eubank in 1997 when Eubank was long finished after the defeats to Collins.  Be it his or RJJ fault, but a fight back then would have been more interesting.  Its not entirely Calzaghes fault but he didn't fight a Collins, Eubank or Benn who was at the peak of their powers never mind  B Hop or RJJ.  He should retire now as there is nobody there for him.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'