Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: the green man on March 29, 2008, 10:36:44 PM
Good result for Doody, but jeez the on Mexican didnt seem interested at all

The Mexican has had a long career, a lot of fights, has fought some high profile boxers as well as being a world champion so we can assume he was a very good boxer in his prime.  At 33 though he looks like a guy who wants to make it through a fight without getting knocked out or too badly beaten and simply collect his cheque at the end of the night!!

McCloskey though does look a very good techical boxer.  After the fight the presenters and guests on RTE where saying that Ricky Hatton was asking a lot of questions about McCloskey as they think a match could develop between the two further down the line.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

TacadoirArdMhacha

Thought McCloskey looked very impressive - great at avoiding at the punches.

Also caught the end of the Andy Lee fight on Five US last week. Fair enough he took a lot of shots but he had started to throw a couple back and didn't seem in danger of being badly hurt. Tough call I suppose and I can understand why refs err on the side of caution but I think Lee has a right to be aggrieved.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

AZOffaly

McCloskey was impressive alright, albeit against a fairly negative opponent. I actually scored it 100-92, as I thought the mexican got a draw in the 7th and 10th. However, McCloskey was throwing all the good shots, but he still looks a bit wild when he throws that big left hook. It comes from somewhere around his left buttock and if he misses, he ends up with his back to the opponent.

There was talk about Ricky Hatton asking about him, but I don't think McCloskey has the power to knock Hatton out, and he would have to, because Hatton would just keep coming forward, taking the odd one-two in a bid to get inside. And if he got inside, he would hurt McCloskey.

illdecide

Sorry to burst you're bubble lads (and i hope i'm wrong) but McCloskey is just above average. I watched a fight in Las Vegas on Sat night when Casamayor (36 year old) beat the Austrailian with a knockout in one of the best fights you'll see this year, the 2 of them stood toe to toe for 10 rounds (i think) before Casamayor knocked him out with a punch that would have floored Tyson. Now these guys are the same weight as McCloskey and he'd have been killed fighting them guys. McCloskey was good on the night but we have to be honest that the Mexican was pathetic on the night and hardly thru a punch all he done all night was fix his belt under his shorts (even when McCloskey was throwing punches at him) I hope McCloskey can make a few pound out ot the game but he'll not be no world champion.

P.S. Duddy and Andy Lee are in the same boat (above average fighters who are taking easy fights)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

heganboy

Saw that Casamayor fight at the weekend, it was a belter- I see there is talk of amir khan fighting him next. Brave fella. Thats one tough cuban...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

AZOffaly

That was a great fight alright. the Australian is no mug either. He has time on his side too.

cville

Quote from: illdecide on March 31, 2008, 11:29:18 AM
Sorry to burst you're bubble lads (and i hope i'm wrong) but McCloskey is just above average. I watched a fight in Las Vegas on Sat night when Casamayor (36 year old) beat the Austrailian with a knockout in one of the best fights you'll see this year, the 2 of them stood toe to toe for 10 rounds (i think) before Casamayor knocked him out with a punch that would have floored Tyson. Now these guys are the same weight as McCloskey and he'd have been killed fighting them guys. McCloskey was good on the night but we have to be honest that the Mexican was pathetic on the night and hardly thru a punch all he done all night was fix his belt under his shorts (even when McCloskey was throwing punches at him) I hope McCloskey can make a few pound out ot the game but he'll not be no world champion.

P.S. Duddy and Andy Lee are in the same boat (above average fighters who are taking easy fights)

Did Wayne fight Casamayor in the 1992 Olympic final?

heganboy

wee wayne was beat on points by our left handed friend
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: full back on March 31, 2008, 06:26:57 PM
Is this the fight?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Zk1MFIFqo

That is the fight Full Back, brilliant stuff so it was.  Boxing is really coming back after a few barron years.  I would rather watch the likes of these guys than the heavy weights though, far technically better.
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

longball

Last man to beat mccloskey and john duddy was Greencastles star forward Terry McDermott! both in amateur fights
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

illdecide

The heavyweight division is the only weight letting boxing down at the minute. There's no doubt Irish boxing is on the up
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Davitt Man

Irish boxing is on the up at the minute but have we any real contender for a world title shot, i dont think we have. Theres too much hype in our own media about some of the irish boxers and this could affect them and they start to believe the hype, look at Bernard Dunne. He believed all the hype about himself and he was brought down to earth quickly.

Also the commentating by Jimmy Magee is a joke, i have never heard such biased commentating in my life, it ruins the fight for me.

AZOffaly

I agree with that last point re jimmy. I know he's trying to be everyone's favourite uncle, but some of his commentary is just wrong. He was saying that McCloskey was never missing with the left, when it was obvious to a blind man that he was spinning like the Tasmanian Devil at least once or twice every round as a big roundhouse left missed the target.

Davitt Man

Jimmy twice refered to McCloskey as McCauley (his co-comentator Dave Boy Mc Cauley) and once he refered to McCloskey as McGuigan!!

But listening to Jimmy commentate is annoying to say the least, his constant "this boy is pure class" and "he hasnt been hit once all night" just does my head in, how can he pure class, he is only starting out in pro boxing and i thought he was very wild at times with wild swinging but he does have a good defense and his head speed was impressive.