The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: DuffleKing on April 23, 2016, 01:07:50 PM

Indy I struggle to understand why you pontificate on something like this, ie a subject matter you patently know nothing about. I've been competing at decent level BJJ for nearly 20 years but I wouldn't presume to have any fundamental understanding of the UFC or these fighters. I wouldn't really be a McGregor fan either but I can respect his achievements and qualities.

I've been involved in the S&C of martial arts for about 10 years .

I respect Mc Gregor but I do shake my head at those who think he's great .... yet. He may achieve greatness but he's not there and pulling out of fights when he's guaranteed 15m is silly really. Just for a few press conferences?

What about the lads on the 20/20 deals. Don't give me this he's trying to serve a higher purpose  ;D- he doesn't care about the other fighters- this is professional sport. He knows he can do this and get away with it- it's poor form on the fans who have already booked that trip. So I do shake my head at the Irish public who continue to support him in their droves.

the truth is his striking coach Owen Roddy was ten times more talented just in the wrong era. Good luck to him he's milking it and he'll never have to work again but greatness..... c'mon he's a natural lightweight beating up a lot of featherweights- let's see him go to lightweight and achieve the greatness he talks about. . It's the best division in the UFC in my view

BennyHarp

Quote from: INDIANA on April 23, 2016, 05:17:44 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on April 23, 2016, 01:07:50 PM

Indy I struggle to understand why you pontificate on something like this, ie a subject matter you patently know nothing about. I've been competing at decent level BJJ for nearly 20 years but I wouldn't presume to have any fundamental understanding of the UFC or these fighters. I wouldn't really be a McGregor fan either but I can respect his achievements and qualities.

I've been involved in the S&C of martial arts for about 10 years .

I respect Mc Gregor but I do shake my head at those who think he's great .... yet. He may achieve greatness but he's not there and pulling out of fights when he's guaranteed 15m is silly really. Just for a few press conferences?

What about the lads on the 20/20 deals. Don't give me this he's trying to serve a higher purpose  ;D- he doesn't care about the other fighters- this is professional sport. He knows he can do this and get away with it- it's poor form on the fans who have already booked that trip. So I do shake my head at the Irish public who continue to support him in their droves.

the truth is his striking coach Owen Roddy was ten times more talented just in the wrong era. Good luck to him he's milking it and he'll never have to work again but greatness..... c'mon he's a natural lightweight beating up a lot of featherweights- let's see him go to lightweight and achieve the greatness he talks about. . It's the best division in the UFC in my view

In between winning All Ireland medals?
That was never a square ball!!

gallsman

Rusty enough looking return for Jon Jones last night. Poor enough fight. Fair play to OSP going five rounds on three weeks notice.

Demetrious Johnson was utterly sensational though. Most complete fighter in the promotion by a mile.

Hound

Quote from: gallsman on April 24, 2016, 02:03:14 PM
Rusty enough looking return for Jon Jones last night. Poor enough fight. Fair play to OSP going five rounds on three weeks notice.

Demetrious Johnson was utterly sensational though. Most complete fighter in the promotion by a mile.
Yeah not what Dana White wanted. A 5 round mediocre enough performance from Jones, lessens the chances of Jones v Cormier II beign UFC200. Rumours that McGregor might get back on the card yet.

Johnson was spectacular alright. 

Corner Forward

Quote from: Hound on April 25, 2016, 08:22:27 AM
Quote from: gallsman on April 24, 2016, 02:03:14 PM

Yeah not what Dana White wanted. A 5 round mediocre enough performance from Jones, lessens the chances of Jones v Cormier II beign UFC200. Rumours that McGregor might get back on the card yet.

Johnson was spectacular alright.

He is according to his twitter

seafoid

2 interesting views on MM whatever it is

Keith Duggan
http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/conor-mcgregor-doing-a-greta-garbo-would-have-been-truly-audacious-1.2621338

And McGregor's fans, those who were in from the start are understandably cynical when it comes to this sudden rush of appreciation for their man. But MMA fans also exhibit an element of protectiveness and insecurity about their sport and McGregor in particular; stung by those who reduce it to barbarism and irritated by breezy opinion which they see as ill-equipped to convey the level of skill and bravery required to fight at McGregor's level. That irritation is well founded.
McGregor is probably the most famous Irish sports star on planet earth just now. He achieved that with zero recognition or interest from establishment Ireland. And so his actual fans don't bother to hide their disdain for the mainstream.
In McGregor, MMA's movers and shapers were blessed with a once-in-a-lifetime gem: an outsider with an instantly recognisable image and charisma who had the chops to substantiate the hyperbole when it came to fighting. He was like a gift from the heavens to MMA. Like golf and Tiger Woods at a certain time, there is McGregor and then there is the rest.

Joe Brolly

http://www.independent.ie/sport/mma/joe-brolly-on-the-vicious-backlash-he-received-for-his-mma-column-last-weekend-34654331.html
When McGregor posts a photo of himself wearing a jewelled crown, perched on a gold-plated urinal, they become dizzy with excitement. They tweet each other in near ecstasy about the money McGregor has made and his gangsta turn of phrase. They glory in the ­conspicuous spending. A "nice tiger"; a fleet of ­supercars; next up, a Waterford Crystal Bentley with a miniature grand piano in the rear, played by Mr Scaramanga's butler from The Man with the Golden Gun.

He is encouraged by an awe-stricken media. On Friday morning, a breathless piece in the normally sane Irish Times started with the line: "Breathe out. The champion has not retired." Breathe out? Like we were holding it in? The piece went on: "Sometimes we can forget there is more to McGregor than how he spends his money." That same day, McGregor begged to differ, tweeting: "I've got my bills paid, my money made. And the entire game slayed." He makes Ali's doggerel sound like Shakespeare. And he likes to talk about killing people. "I would kill him in less than 30 seconds," he said recently of Floyd Mayweather.

What a bore.

It says something very depressing about Irish society that this is our most celebrated sportsman
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

lurganblue

Hound

Quote from: lurganblue on April 25, 2016, 10:10:04 AM

Yeah i see from twitter that McGregor is back.  Will be interested to see how it has all been resolved.
He may be back.

McGregor's twitter is not the most reliable information source in the world. I don't think there has been any official confirmation (or denial) yet.

johnneycool

Quick question;

Is the Bellator like a Div2 for UFC fighters?

Captain Obvious

It's seems the whole McGregor fight off and back on again was Dana White taking a leaf out of Vince McMahons book. In wrestling I think they call it a work.

nrico2006

Quote from: johnneycool on April 25, 2016, 02:07:25 PM
Quick question;

Is the Bellator like a Div2 for UFC fighters?

Was wondering that myself.  James Gallagher was signed by them recently and I thought he was waiting on the UFC call to be honest.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

lurganblue

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on April 25, 2016, 02:58:33 PM
Paddy Holohan has had to retire due to a rare blood disorder

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1420772631281528&set=a.158072054218265.31180.100000464136581&type=3&theater

Sad that. Seems he's hinting that he doesnt want to retire but he is being forced too.  I know nothing of the dangers of this blood disorder though

The Iceman

seems like a right fella now in fairness - just opened up his own SBG gym so he'll be ok.  It will be hard for him not to compete.

McGregor is playing some game on Twitter with the UFC. I suspect at this point that they have sanctioned it otherwise his behaviour would warrant some punishment.... definitely "a work" as someone pointed out.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

gallsman

Bellator would be considered a promotion with an inferior roster. However, former UFC Lightweight Champion Benson Henderson (hasn't been in best form for a while) got absolutely walloped on Friday night on his Bellator debut. It was admittedly a title fight at welterweight but he was annihilated for 5 rounds.