The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Gs Man

Very good synopsis Iceman.

You seem to be well up on it.  You do any MMA yourself?

Being fairly new to the sport (albeit I got into it only just before the McGregor juggernaut) it sickens my hole when lads who may have been into MMA for a while patronise others who may have only got into it when McGregor came on the scene.  People have to start somewhere, and at the end of the day, the increased viewing figures / participation rates are only gonna benefit the sport.  So fair play to you for posting up some very knowledgeable insight on here, without the patronising tone. (Same for Gallsman) 
Keep 'er lit

Walter Cronc

Quote from: The Gs Man on March 07, 2016, 04:05:27 PM

Being fairly new to the sport (albeit I got into it only just before the McGregor juggernaut) it sickens my hole when lads who may have been into MMA for a while patronise others who may have only got into it when McGregor came on the scene.  People have to start somewhere, and at the end of the day, the increased viewing figures / participation rates are only gonna benefit the sport.  So fair play to you for posting up some very knowledgeable insight on here, without the patronising tone. (Same for Gallsman) 

Agree with the above. Have learnt loads from here and listening to the Joe Rogan podcasts/interviews on youtube.

Can anyone give their thoughts on how McGregor would have faired against RDA, based on the fact RDA took Diaz apart.

gallsman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 07, 2016, 04:18:24 PM

Agree with the above. Have learnt loads from here and listening to the Joe Rogan podcasts/interviews on youtube.

Can anyone give their thoughts on how McGregor would have faired against RDA, based on the fact RDA took Diaz apart.

Take a lot of what Rogan says with a pinch of salt. I find him insufferable and he flip flips depending on who he has on as guests.

Another thing that I thought was very noticeable in the fight was that despite McGregor's postulating about precision after the Aldo fight, in his attempts to close the gap, he threw a lot of wild overhand lefts, and naturally missed with a lot more than he landed.

Tony Baloney

I don't think there is anywhere else on earth with as many MMA/UFC experts as Ireland and in particular the gaaboard  ;)

The Iceman

It's funny Gs man - MMA and promotions like the UFC were like a secret club.  I started training MMA in Uni over 14 years ago. We would train in clubs and peoples garages and wherever we could. I got the shit kicked out of me most weeks but I gave back a fair few beatings too and loved it all. I was never a world beater.  You know what we're all like growing up. Having an edge if you ever get in a scrap is key.  An average man who knows how to take a fight to the ground and beat a man there all of a sudden moves up the street fighting rankings.... I never went looking for fights but enjoyed knowing I could handle it if anything happened. I loved the training, the competition.... the exclusivity. 
I think a lot of early fans feel the same.  As the sport gained momentum more people were trained and more people were fans..... fight club wasn't fight club any more- but it's all good.

I'm happy to see the promotions get popular and the fighters getting paid at long last. Locally (back home) I know a fair amount of older fighters and coaches and hear regularly about the talent coming through.  I'm hoping more and more Irish fighters step up.  I don't have anything against SBG but I think they get more credit as a gym than they might deserve.... the only real talent to come out of there is CMG and he had talent before he joined the gym.  there are a lot of unsung heroes and pioneers of irish mma.  fighters like Davey Patterson who coaches still or Rodney Moore from Ballymena and Tom Lamont who were fighting all over the world for small money and little to no exposure.  Try to youtube those guys for some exciting old school fights...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on March 07, 2016, 04:27:55 PM

Take a lot of what Rogan says with a pinch of salt. I find him insufferable and he flip flips depending on who he has on as guests.

Another thing that I thought was very noticeable in the fight was that despite McGregor's postulating about precision sheet the Aldo fight, in his attempts to close the gap, he threw a lot of wild overhand lefts, and naturally missed with a lot more than he landed.

Cheers GM. Any other blogs/podcasts?

gallsman

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 07, 2016, 04:28:19 PM
I don't think there is anywhere else on earth with as many MMA/UFC experts as Ireland and in particular the gaaboard  ;)

Treat yourself to the boards.ie threats about it. I'll happily admit I'm no expert, just watch a bit of the stuff!

gallsman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 07, 2016, 04:30:11 PM

Another thing that I thought was very noticeable in the fight was that despite McGregor's postulating about precision sheet the Aldo fight, in his attempts to close the gap, he threw a lot of wild overhand lefts, and naturally missed with a lot more than he landed.

Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour is great. Pain the arse as 3 hours long every week but he always has top notch guests who give real insight into things. RDA and Kavanagh will be on it today.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: gallsman on March 07, 2016, 04:33:32 PM
Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 07, 2016, 04:30:11 PM

Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour is great. Pain the arse as 3 hours long every week but he always has top notch guests who give real insight into things. RDA and Kavanagh will be on it today.

Good man cheers!

INDIANA

Quote from: The Iceman on March 07, 2016, 03:40:22 PM
I take absolutely no delight in McGregor losing. He's a champion and I trust he will be back better than ever. McGregor came to SBG with well touted hands. He was a prospect most people heard about 10 years ago on the MMA scene before his first fight.  In ten years though working under a BJJ black belt (John Kavanaugh) he hasn't shown the same growth on the mat.  I'm not saying he isn't good - he just isn't elite and Diaz exposed that at UFC 196.  Mendes nearly had the better of him and Frankie Edgar will beat him at 145 by keeping it on the ground.  I expect to see McGregor take a standup fight at UFC 200 or the matchup with RDA (which I doubt they give to him).
In the Diaz fight he was vintage McGregor. His strikes were unorthodox, he attacked from multiple angles and he had Diaz confused.  But as he landed his trademark left over and over again and Diaz took them there had to be a sense of dread there. I've thrown everything I have at you and you're still coming forward.....
He got caught with some crisp jabs - I think 3 or 4 in the 2nd round before eating Diaz's combo and getting wobbled.  CMG did great to hand in there on the feet as long as he did - even connecitng again with his left.  The take down was to buy time. Diaz welcomed it and had 3 different submission attempts in 10 seconds. He's a whiz on the ground and even if McGregor had been thinking clearly he was going to get submitted.
Comments on here that Diaz is an average fighter are ridiculous. Diaz like McGregor takes the fight when called upon. He hasn't been the most dedicated trainer and is certainly not a company man. He's taken fights injured and lost but he's always showed up to fight.

The UFC is on the back foot now following this loss.  GSP was in the crowd. The 170lb king. How much interest would a GSP McGregor fight at 170 generate? George never made the millions CMG has made. He would be tempted to come back for that and I think that's why he was there (despite Dana's comments). The UFC lost a big money super fight there.....

I completely stand over the comment that Diaz is world class nowhere except on the deck. 10 Defeats speaks for itself.

Lets' call a spade a spade here.

The UFC got Diaz to fight Mc Gregor because they couldn't believe on any level Diaz would win. He had no camp and hadn't sparred in weeks.

Mc Gregor unfortunately had nothing beyond his stand up game. I think RDA would take him and I'd fancy Pettis too. Mc Gregor would beat Cerrone and the rest of the lightweights I think.

I don't see Aldo on any level beating Conor because stylistically Mc Gregor is a nightmare match-up for Aldo. Edgar is the nightmare match-up for Mc Gregor and that's why he won't get the fight- because he might actually beat him. Aldo definitely won't in my view.

Dana White can't afford Mc Gregor to lose his next fight. He'll be matched up against Aldo in a contest he shouldn't lose. Vacate the belt and move up.

the two belt dream is over and the Welter-weight dream is also over. He'd have to be an idiot to fight at that weight again. But he could get the job done at light-weight...............maybe

The Iceman

Quote from: INDIANA on March 07, 2016, 10:50:26 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on March 07, 2016, 03:40:22 PM
I take absolutely no delight in McGregor losing. He's a champion and I trust he will be back better than ever. McGregor came to SBG with well touted hands. He was a prospect most people heard about 10 years ago on the MMA scene before his first fight.  In ten years though working under a BJJ black belt (John Kavanaugh) he hasn't shown the same growth on the mat.  I'm not saying he isn't good - he just isn't elite and Diaz exposed that at UFC 196.  Mendes nearly had the better of him and Frankie Edgar will beat him at 145 by keeping it on the ground.  I expect to see McGregor take a standup fight at UFC 200 or the matchup with RDA (which I doubt they give to him).
In the Diaz fight he was vintage McGregor. His strikes were unorthodox, he attacked from multiple angles and he had Diaz confused.  But as he landed his trademark left over and over again and Diaz took them there had to be a sense of dread there. I've thrown everything I have at you and you're still coming forward.....
He got caught with some crisp jabs - I think 3 or 4 in the 2nd round before eating Diaz's combo and getting wobbled.  CMG did great to hand in there on the feet as long as he did - even connecitng again with his left.  The take down was to buy time. Diaz welcomed it and had 3 different submission attempts in 10 seconds. He's a whiz on the ground and even if McGregor had been thinking clearly he was going to get submitted.
Comments on here that Diaz is an average fighter are ridiculous. Diaz like McGregor takes the fight when called upon. He hasn't been the most dedicated trainer and is certainly not a company man. He's taken fights injured and lost but he's always showed up to fight.

The UFC is on the back foot now following this loss.  GSP was in the crowd. The 170lb king. How much interest would a GSP McGregor fight at 170 generate? George never made the millions CMG has made. He would be tempted to come back for that and I think that's why he was there (despite Dana's comments). The UFC lost a big money super fight there.....

I completely stand over the comment that Diaz is world class nowhere except on the deck. 10 Defeats speaks for itself.

Lets' call a spade a spade here.

The UFC got Diaz to fight Mc Gregor because they couldn't believe on any level Diaz would win. He had no camp and hadn't sparred in weeks.

Mc Gregor unfortunately had nothing beyond his stand up game. I think RDA would take him and I'd fancy Pettis too. Mc Gregor would beat Cerrone and the rest of the lightweights I think.

I don't see Aldo on any level beating Conor because stylistically Mc Gregor is a nightmare match-up for Aldo. Edgar is the nightmare match-up for Mc Gregor and that's why he won't get the fight- because he might actually beat him. Aldo definitely won't in my view.

Dana White can't afford Mc Gregor to lose his next fight. He'll be matched up against Aldo in a contest he shouldn't lose. Vacate the belt and move up.

the two belt dream is over and the Welter-weight dream is also over. He'd have to be an idiot to fight at that weight again. But he could get the job done at light-weight...............maybe
or
Can a fighter evolve? Can a fighter grow and get better? Does a loss on your record taint your career? Does it halt your progress as a fighter or as a martial artist?
Diaz lost in 2006 by submission when he was 20 years old to Hermes Franca a decorated BJJ black belt
In the next 4 years he won 6 times and lost 3 times. 2 by split decision and 1 unanimous decision and it was close
He dabbled with a move to 170lbs at this point in his career to secure bigger money fights. He didn't fair well against the bigger fighters (back then IV re-hydration was allowed) and was overpowered by Dong Hyun Kim and Rory Mcdonald - both big men for the welterweight division but he went to the decision against both.
He returned to 155lbs and walked through Takanori Gomi, Donald Cerrone and jim Miller.
He lost two fights back to back against Benson Henderson (former champion) and Josh Thompson (only TKO of his career).  Arguably he came in to both of those fights injured and his attitude towards fighting and the UFC at that point in his career were at an all time low. He didn't give a shit to say the least and the UFC was screwing over his brother Nick.
He fought RDA the 155lb champ when he was injured again.  This is all documented.

Watch the Mcgregor fight again and tell me his boxing wasn't good... watch his fight against Michael Johnson and tell me his boxing wasn't good... or against Cerrone....
The reason the UFC and Conor picked this fight is two-fold: they thought McGregor could win and the KNEW adding Diaz to the fight would bring in the most $$$$$$
McGregor had all the tools to beat Nate - he gassed out and made the crazy mistake of taking Nate down. Nate doesn't have takedowns... he has a few trips and a decent throw but he rarely takes people down.

Cerrone has great takedowns and great wrestling (watch Cerrone's last fight when he is getting outmatched in the standup he immediately shoots, out grapples and submits) - same with Pettis - both would beat McGregor. Aldo doesn't have takedowns but if it gets to the ground he has the BJJ skills to stop Conor. If they meet again (and I think they will) that fight is a coin toss - just like the first one.

MMA isn't soccer or any other sport - it's fighting with some regulations.  There is no guaranteed script.  It's why Matt Serra beat GSP, Randy Couture came out of retirement and beat Tim Sylvia - it's why we watch - anything can happen...
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Walter Cronc

Super post Iceman - learnt plenty there!!!

Longshanks

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 08, 2016, 03:50:55 PM
Super post Iceman - learnt plenty there!!!

Totally agree, I'm somewhat of a late comer to the sport but defo enjoying all the fights these days so interesting what you said regarding Diazs previous fights

Carmen Stateside

Went to vegas for this and was not disappointed with the show that was put on. I think i will go again.
That night after the fight, the bold Diaz and his posse landed into the bar we were at and planted themselves at the table beside us.  Some poor lad tried taking a selfie with him, which didn't go down well with some of his crew, which in-turn led to the lad taking a clipping for no real reason. 
Think the highlight of the weekend was meeting Com Parkinson  :P

The Iceman

I agree he should have pushed the cut. even 5lbs or 15lbs down to the 155 lb limit may have helped,  But cutting weight doesn't change the chin and Diaz can take a punch....his only TKO stoppage came from a shin to the chin and he wasn't even out....
You're spot on about McGregor not wanting to disappoint the fans but he's also getting paid extortionate amounts of money he doesn't want to walk away from...

When someone drops out of a fight historically it hurts them financially for a while.... RDA won't get the same negotiating power...or Jose Aldo - Uncle Dana has said as much....