The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

A bit of honesty and a few less cliches wouldn't go astray in GAA interviews. I would listen to a McGregor interview. I wouldn't listen to a GAA player being interviewed before a game as I know he's not going to say anything.

Like a lot of people I'd have no interest in UFC but I'd watch a McGregor fight, because of his personality. The GAA doesn't need trash-talking to make it interesting, but some genuine, open interviews would add to it.

At the same time, I wouldn't like to see the post match (usually) magnanimous interviews disappear. Most losing GAA managers will say that the better team won and not moan about the ref, even if they feel they'd have plenty to moan about, and imo that's admirable and a very positive thing in the sport(though we should always be striving to improve the standard of refereeing, which is sometimes abysmal). One of the many things that makes the Premiership unbearable are the post match spin interviews where every losing manager tries to convince you that they deserved(whatever that means) to win the match, and were only prevented from doing so by the referee.

Bingo

I don't like the sport, its just a bit too raw or brutal for me. The fighters definitely have some sort of killer instinct to inflict as much damage, by any means on their opponent.

But saying that, I get McGregor and would totally admire him. To do what he does, he can't be a normal guy, he's not going to be Ed Sheeren, all nice and touching the world. He needs to be supremely confident, beyond cockiness. He needs to get in peoples faces, he needs to get in his opponents head and he needs to be cold blooded.

He is without doubt dedicated to his pursuit of the prize. He is all mouth and OTT at it but I don't think he could compete at that level without been as he appears. Plenty suggest that away from the cameras and in the gym with his own people, he is relaxed and very much like anyone else going about their business.

It will come to a day when he is defeated and it will be interesting to see how he reacts.

There is plenty of Niall Quinns, Ed Sheerens, Bernard Brogans, Daniel O'Donnells in the world, we need the balance of a McGregor.

He's here to stay because he can certainly back up his mouth.

The Aristocrat

Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 11:15:48 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 10:14:10 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 09:54:27 PM
Whats Ricey got to do with this?

what's the difference between him and Mc Gregor?

What's Ricey got to do with this?

Who were the other Tyrone boys involved with the dogs you mentioned earlier?

The only reason you've a problem with Mc Gregor is that he's a Dub. You referenced his pre fight behaviour as scandalous. I'm asking you why you don't apply the same standards to the footballers that represent your county who engage in far worse behaviour then Mc Gregor.

i've yet to see Mc Gregor bite anyone in the ring yet

More so the club footballers of Tyrone than inter county, Violent animals from minor match's to ladies county finals when chairmen get knocked out, Tyrone is all that is wrong with the GAA, should be kicked out of all competitions for 5 years. See it that helps them turn away from the violence. 

BennyHarp

Quote from: The Aristocrat on December 14, 2015, 10:15:39 AM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 11:15:48 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 10:14:10 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 09:54:27 PM
Whats Ricey got to do with this?

what's the difference between him and Mc Gregor?

What's Ricey got to do with this?

Who were the other Tyrone boys involved with the dogs you mentioned earlier?

The only reason you've a problem with Mc Gregor is that he's a Dub. You referenced his pre fight behaviour as scandalous. I'm asking you why you don't apply the same standards to the footballers that represent your county who engage in far worse behaviour then Mc Gregor.

i've yet to see Mc Gregor bite anyone in the ring yet

More so the club footballers of Tyrone than inter county, Violent animals from minor match's to ladies county finals when chairmen get knocked out, Tyrone is all that is wrong with the GAA, should be kicked out of all competitions for 5 years. See it that helps them turn away from the violence.

The complete obsession with Tyrone by some people on here is very amusing.
That was never a square ball!!

finbar o tool

an irish man has elevated this sport like no man before him. he works hard and deserves to be where he is.
unlike boxing, take mayweather for example who does nothing only run around the ring, these guys actually kick the shit out of each other in the cage, you have to be in the right place mentally for that kind of thing. you have to be confident.
people spouted the same crap about Ali back in the day, "the Louisville Lip". be proud hes achieved what he has already and more luck to him.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

AZOffaly

QuoteThank you for all the kind messages!
I am extremely grateful and proud to be in the position I am in.
To the naked eye it was 13 seconds, but to my team and my family it has been a lifetime of work to get to that 13 seconds.
Congratulations to the staff at the UFC on a historic week in the sports history and an amazing 2015 for the company.
It is an honor to be playing a part in this great companies continued growth and success and an honor to top off a phenomenal week in the sports history.
Thank you to all the fans who travelled and made this week what it was!!
The traveling Irish are untouchable when it comes to creating the atmosphere needed to make a week like this what it was!!
I am forever blown away by the support of my country. We have changed the game forever!!!
Respect to a great champion in Jose Aldo. The true greats will always overcome adversity.
I wish him and his loyal team well on their journey back. Much respect.
Thank you all!!!

It's all an act. The above is posted on his facebook page, and make far more palatable reading. I hate all the nonsense, but I understand what's behind it. Fair play to him, he's making some waves. As I said, I don't like the act, and I don't particularly like the sport, but it's good to see an Irishman doing well for himself, and the fans having a good time.

BennyHarp

Quote from: finbar o tool on December 14, 2015, 11:22:14 AM
an irish man has elevated this sport like no man before him. he works hard and deserves to be where he is.
unlike boxing, take mayweather for example who does nothing only run around the ring, these guys actually kick the shit out of each other in the cage, you have to be in the right place mentally for that kind of thing. you have to be confident.
people spouted the same crap about Ali back in the day, "the Louisville Lip". be proud hes achieved what he has already and more luck to him.

I assume you don't follow boxing much then?
That was never a square ball!!

finbar o tool

Quote from: BennyHarp on December 14, 2015, 11:27:41 AM

Mayweather is a defensive fighter, tries to avoid getting into an actual fight and hit his opponents with quick punches between running around and hugging. and its worked for him, but its BORING as f**k. the Joshua/Whyte fight Saturday night was good.
im comparing the physicality of MMA to boxing and the mentality needed, hence the trash talk, and it works!

stew

Quote from: omaghjoe on December 14, 2015, 04:59:11 AM
Quote from: trileacman on December 14, 2015, 12:38:37 AM
I really dislike the trash-talk and to be honest I'm looking forward to his inevitable defeat down the line. He mightn't be so fond of seeing a microphone shoved in his face after that.

I don't see his attitude as new or refreshing, Ali started it years ago and now it seems to be the done thing for combat sports. It doesn't entertain me either, if it did I probably wouldn't even watch UFC I'd watch videos of tinkers calling each other out on Youtube. Winding people up/Being a w@nk shouldn't be part and parcel of being a respected sportsman, inevitably some gowl takes it too far like Tyson Fury and everyone just shrugs their shoulders because top boxers are expected to be controversial. The views guys like Fury espouse aren't okay.

Muppet I don't think it's something you want to see in GAA, we already have a mouthy WUM up on centre stage and he's far from a national treasure in the county of Mayo. Next time you Mayo boys take offence to Brolly calling you chokers or cheats I'll remind you of love for the braggadocio.

George Hook was right, pre-match interview are a waste of everyone's time. Supporters, interviewers, interviewees. Unless you know you're gonna get something different from the norm don't bother your hole. Journalists have column inches to fill though and pre-match interviews make acceptable manure filler.

Spot on, I don't understand why people think they need to hear trash talk to make a sport interesting. Whats the difference between using slabbering as a promotional tool and sledging? This is actually worse than sledging in IMO. Sledging is used to gain a competitive advantage, this carry on is used to generate money, which IMO is as vulgar and as distasteful as it gets.

Boxing has allowed it to be used as a promotional tool for a long time now in an attempt to try and stem the tide of its gradual 80 year demise. And while it gives small boosts to some fighters it has not stopped the overall decline in interest. I think because team sports have a legacy and tradition it is more adept at fulfilling the tribalism wants that many sports fan are yearning for. Anyway the result  for boxing has been to turn its image into a crude corrupt pantomime, even tho inside the ropes is still overall, more or less, as good as it has always has.

Do you lot really think that he does it for any other reasons than money and getting inside the head of his opponent? It is not personal, acting the arse wipe make him more marketable, expecially when he backs up everything he say's, and as for the second part, Aldo's wife was saying he is crazy and he agreed, tell me Aldo wasnt shitting himself the other night!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

gallsman

Quote from: finbar o tool on December 14, 2015, 12:39:01 PM

Mayweather is a defensive fighter, tries to avoid getting into an actual fight and hit his opponents with quick punches between running around and hugging. and its worked for him, but its BORING as f**k. the Joshua/Whyte fight Saturday night was good.
im comparing the physicality of MMA to boxing and the mentality needed, hence the trash talk, and it works!

You realise McGregor's KO on Saturday came from a counter punch, yes?

Mayweather carried the nickname Pretty Boy for years because of his ability not to get hit. He is a master. The fact you find it boring is irrelevant and the fact you imply you enjoy it because MMA lads "kick the shit out of each other" gives weight to the suggestion that many "fans" of mma are more interested in seeing a spectacle than a sport.

finbar o tool

Quote from: gallsman on December 14, 2015, 01:13:54 PM

Mayweather carried the nickname Pretty Boy for years because of his ability not to get hit. He is a master. The fact you find it boring is irrelevant and the fact you imply you enjoy it because MMA lads "kick the shit out of each other" gives weight to the suggestion that many "fans" of mma are more interested in seeing a spectacle than a sport.

i know its irrelevant, and i agree with you, hes a master of not getting hit, but it doesn't make it any less boring! the point is MMA is more entertaining because there is more action! the sport IS a spectacle!! what else do you want from sport other than entertainment!!? and it gives weight to nothing except people would prefer action to someone running around the ring like i said initially!!
are you another one that has followed MMA for years now and anyone new to the sport are "fans", and not just fans?!  ::)

nrico2006

Quote from: finbar o tool on December 14, 2015, 01:25:35 PM

i know its irrelevant, and i agree with you, hes a master of not getting hit, but it doesn't make it any less boring! the point is MMA is more entertaining because there is more action! the sport IS a spectacle!! what else do you want from sport other than entertainment!!? and it gives weight to nothing except people would prefer action to someone running around the ring like i said initially!!
are you another one that has followed MMA for years now and anyone new to the sport are "fans", and not just fans?!  ::)

Not all MMA fights are exciting.  Alot of them are pretty boring, two fellas laying on the ground cuddling for a few rounds with no entertainable action on the go.  But I would imagine that most bandwagon fans think that all fights are explosive and end in knock-out wins.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

finbar o tool

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 14, 2015, 01:32:05 PM

Not all MMA fights are exciting.  Alot of them are pretty boring, two fellas laying on the ground cuddling for a few rounds with no entertainable action on the go.  But I would imagine that most bandwagon fans think that all fights are explosive and end in knock-out wins.

ah here, another one on to bash  "fans" and "bandwagon fans".
ive been following for about 2 years now, new enough, ive seen enough to understand the all dont finish with knock outs etc.
try not to be so patronizing!

anyway, well done Conor, what next? probably Frankie Edgar? Croker??

gallsman

i know its irrelevant, and i agree with you, hes a master of not getting hit, 1) but it doesn't make it any less boring! the point is 2) MMA is more entertaining because there is more action! the sport IS a spectacle!! 3) what else do you want from sport other than entertainment!!? and it gives weight to nothing except people would prefer action to someone running around the ring like i said initially!!

1) In your opinion. I find his defensive skills and movement and ability to make fighters miss absolutely mesmerising.
2) Did you enjoy the Nelson-Maia fight? There wasn't much action in it.
3) It's what you define as entertainment that matters. If you get your kicks from the blood and guts going everywhere rather than the skill, technique and craftsmanship that leads to it, then there's something wrong with you and I would suggest you're more interested than the spectacle than the sport.

No, I'm not a fan. I have had a passing interest in it for years but don't really enjoy the wrestling and grappling side of things all that much. Also, I despise the pricks who in one breath talk about the explosion of MMA and how great McGregor and Rousey are for it and then in the next criticise "bandwagon fans" who are driving all the new hype. What I can't abide however is people who profess to be fans of the sport and could barely name you anyone beyond McGregor and whatever opponent he's facing at the time, many of whom appear to exist here in Ireland these days. For example, the absolute gang of walts who turned up at the Convention Centre press conference to abuse Aldo (a p4p king and ten year undefeated, undisputed champion) as a pussy etc. Or the "the new UFC featherweight of the championship" lad from the same event.

gallsman

Quote from: stew on December 14, 2015, 01:08:31 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on December 14, 2015, 04:59:11 AM
Quote from: trileacman on December 14, 2015, 12:38:37 AM
I really dislike the trash-talk and to be honest I'm looking forward to his inevitable defeat down the line. He mightn't be so fond of seeing a microphone shoved in his face after that.

I don't see his attitude as new or refreshing, Ali started it years ago and now it seems to be the done thing for combat sports. It doesn't entertain me either, if it did I probably wouldn't even watch UFC I'd watch videos of tinkers calling each other out on Youtube. Winding people up/Being a w@nk shouldn't be part and parcel of being a respected sportsman, inevitably some gowl takes it too far like Tyson Fury and everyone just shrugs their shoulders because top boxers are expected to be controversial. The views guys like Fury espouse aren't okay.

Muppet I don't think it's something you want to see in GAA, we already have a mouthy WUM up on centre stage and he's far from a national treasure in the county of Mayo. Next time you Mayo boys take offence to Brolly calling you chokers or cheats I'll remind you of love for the braggadocio.

George Hook was right, pre-match interview are a waste of everyone's time. Supporters, interviewers, interviewees. Unless you know you're gonna get something different from the norm don't bother your hole. Journalists have column inches to fill though and pre-match interviews make acceptable manure filler.

Spot on, I don't understand why people think they need to hear trash talk to make a sport interesting. Whats the difference between using slabbering as a promotional tool and sledging? This is actually worse than sledging in IMO. Sledging is used to gain a competitive advantage, this carry on is used to generate money, which IMO is as vulgar and as distasteful as it gets.

Boxing has allowed it to be used as a promotional tool for a long time now in an attempt to try and stem the tide of its gradual 80 year demise. And while it gives small boosts to some fighters it has not stopped the overall decline in interest. I think because team sports have a legacy and tradition it is more adept at fulfilling the tribalism wants that many sports fan are yearning for. Anyway the result  for boxing has been to turn its image into a crude corrupt pantomime, even tho inside the ropes is still overall, more or less, as good as it has always has.

Do you lot really think that he does it for any other reasons than money and getting inside the head of his opponent? It is not personal, acting the arse wipe make him more marketable, expecially when he backs up everything he say's, and as for the second part, Aldo's wife was saying he is crazy and he agreed, tell me Aldo wasnt shitting himself the other night!

Aldo wasn't shitting himself the other night.