The Official UFC Thread

Started by RONAN, February 05, 2008, 11:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INDIANA

Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 04:18:20 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 03:06:09 PM
Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 02:12:57 PM
Quote from: muppet on December 13, 2015, 12:54:26 PM
I'd say it was to the Irish begrudgers, although he should have done it for a lot longer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LY7r-DwtjD8

We should be proud of this true sportsman alright! ::)

You've had Tyrone players who ran dog fighting clubs. Were you proud of them?

One  player who I knew of !     Who were the others?

Why in under God would I be proud of him or them, as you say?

If Mc gregor was from Tyrone you'd like him. He's a superstar and actually a nice guy outside the ring if you ever actually met him.

Humble and very down to earth. Looks after his family, trains like a monk, doesn't fall out of pubs and nightclubs pissed as a fart absuing everyone around them like a lot of top intercounty players - etc.

Trash talk has been around since Ali. You're going into a ring with another guy who wants to kick the shit out of you. You're unlikely to spend the press conferences beforehand playing Connect 4 with your opponent.

He's a lot nicer then some of the GAA players I know.

SHEEDY

yous do know UFC isnt even a real sport lads, it doesnt even come close to WWE. sheamus for irish sportsman of the year!!
nil satis nisi optimum

omaghjoe

Jesus Christ Indie wud ye calm down the lad won I'm sure he's not too worried about what the general public thinks of him, next thing you'll be doing is blaming this on one of Mickey Harte's conspiracies

His promotional antics are probably just that but its the image he projects to the world, and it aint the nice family guy image you're talking about. Are you really surprised some/alot of people dont like it? Im sure McGregor was well aware that it would divide opinion and get people talking,which is also a big part of the reason that he puts on the persona.

annapr

Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 06:22:21 PM
I'd say it was to the Irish begrudgers, although he should have done it for a lot longer.

If Mc gregor was from Tyrone you'd like him. He's a superstar and actually a nice guy outside the ring if you ever actually met him.

Humble and very down to earth. Looks after his family, trains like a monk, doesn't fall out of pubs and nightclubs pissed as a fart absuing everyone around them like a lot of top intercounty players - etc.

Trash talk has been around since Ali. You're going into a ring with another guy who wants to kick the shit out of you. You're unlikely to spend the press conferences beforehand playing Connect 4 with your opponent.

And if he wasn't from Dublin you wouldn't be defending him ;D
You're both as bad as each other.

JoG2

Fights have to be sold,  a bit of slagging and goading is grand,  but mcgregor goes way beyond,  and certain people think he's a c**k because of it. Don't think begrudery comes into it, they just don't like McGregor,  much like alot of my English friends at uni thought Eubank was a tool. 

I'd say the same boys giving mcgregor a hard time were nearly jumping into the ring / TV when Collins was fighting Eubank for example.  'it's not where your from,  it's where your at'

Gaffer

Quote from: annapr on December 13, 2015, 06:53:25 PM

Hope you are not referring to me there.

I never said I would support him if he was from Tyrone. In fact I would not. I would be ashamed!

The video which I pasted above contains inexcusable behaviour from McGregor. Who in their right mind would attempt yo justify such behaviour. Does he need to do it? Can he not just depend on his skills inside the cage to do his talking for him.

Barry McGuigan didn't resort to such and he became World Champion!

"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

JimStynes

I like the wind up merchants and trash talkers in all sports so I love watching McGregor. If you're the sort of person who can't listen to the likes of Mayweather and McGregor then you are obviously not going to like him.  Not a big fan of UFC, I can take it or leave it but I will always watch his interviews and press conferences as they're hilarious. He is playing the pantomime villain role to perfection, look at how much attention he gets! He is one of the main men in sport at the moment and is even on the front of the UFC computer game now ffs.  One thing that can't be denied is of how proud he is to be Irish. I say fair play to the fella. Started with very little and a few years later he is a multi millionaire superstar.

Asal Mor

Quote from: laoislad on December 13, 2015, 10:30:15 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on December 13, 2015, 07:56:56 AM
Quote from: gawa316 on December 13, 2015, 07:09:58 AM
I don't know the Irish usually play the plucky underdog shit the whole time. Yes he has a mouth, mostly before the fights ( he's usually a bit more gracious after) buts it's part of the act. I love it but can see why others don't.

Another sporting triumph from our wee Isle, something to be celebrated in my eyes
+1. In the GAA especially, players live in terror of saying anything to the media that sounds remotely confident.

I know he couldn't give a toss and probably wouldn't show up to collect his award, but he is surely the Irish Sportstar of the Year.
Really? I think he would absolutely want to show up and collect such an award. I'd say it would actually mean an awful lot to him. Even if he couldn't be there I'd say he would still be happy to receive it.
I don't know very much about him(or the sport)but he seems a very proud Irishman, to be honoured as Irish sports star of the year would surely be something he'd love no?
Maybe he would, but he'll be a busy man and my guess is that we'd get  a "Unfortunately Conor can't be here..........but he did send us this video........". You're right though, it probably would mean something to him.

screenexile

Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 07:42:46 PM
Quote from: annapr on December 13, 2015, 06:53:25 PM

Hope you are not referring to me there.

I never said I would support him if he was from Tyrone. In fact I would not. I would be ashamed!

The video which I pasted above contains inexcusable behaviour from McGregor. Who in their right mind would attempt yo justify such behaviour. Does he need to do it? Can he not just depend on his skills inside the cage to do his talking for him.

Barry McGuigan didn't resort to such and he became World Champion!

**Cough cough ** What about Ricey??

Gaffer

Whats Ricey got to do with this?

INDIANA

Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 09:54:27 PM

what's the difference between him and Mc Gregor?

gallsman

Quote from: Hound on December 13, 2015, 02:05:14 PM
For me that egdes him marginally ahead of Rory as Top Irish Sportsman at the moment and undoubtedly should be Sportsperson of the Year.

Workrate, dedication and talent.

Really gets into his opponent's head too. At the weigh-in I thought the balance had tipped in Aldo's favour. He looked confident, and I thought McGregor looked a little nervous, maybe down to looking more gaunt than usual.

But fight night was the opposite. Aldo wouldnt even look at him and Conor was super relaxed. He has some power in that left hand.

In this game, his time will come when he will lose, and undoubtedly be hurt when it happens. But for now, he's nothing short of awesome

That was nothing to do with McGregor being in his head or anything, that's what he's always done in all his fights. Just a different style.

redzone

Is there any word of a rematch. Intrestling Aldo actually opened mcgregor with that first punch so it would have been interesting if it had of continued.id say he would nearly sell out croke park.

Gaffer

Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 10:14:10 PM

What's Ricey got to do with this?

Who were the other Tyrone boys involved with the dogs you mentioned earlier?

screenexile

Quote from: Gaffer on December 13, 2015, 11:04:35 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 13, 2015, 10:14:10 PM

What's Ricey got to do with this?

Who were the other Tyrone boys involved with the dogs you mentioned earlier?

Well you said we shouldn't support McGregor because of his disgusting behaviour ... Blah blah blah which is just a bit of hypocritical given Tyrone and particularly Riceys antics over the years!