Ulster Club SFC 2021

Started by general_lee, November 14, 2021, 07:32:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildweasel74

Only 1 team will win their local championship. I wonder the amount spend by senior club teams in total within a county. Used to be rumour Dublin club teams would incentive certain players to join.

rodney trotter

Quote from: yellowcard on December 20, 2021, 09:59:49 AM
It's a shame that the provincial competitions at least couldn't be finished before Christmas. There is something a bit anti climatic about having to wait until January now for the provincial finals. It sucks a bit of the momentum out of a competition and I actually think that the club AI series should be finished up within the calendar year. Hopefully the split season will resolve this issue.

I think they do aim to have it finished in the Calendar year , the Provincials were later starting this year due to Covid so was hard to get it all in before Christmas.,

JoG2

Quote from: smort on December 20, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
Absolute madness if true

The ever increasing 'expenses' need looked at

Some of the numbers these days are incredible. Clubs with little to no chance of winning the championship are throwing some amounts at managers. Moran has probably banked in the region of half a mill (£500,000) at this stage

imtommygunn

How much accuracy is there in some of these numbers being floated round? Is there a possibility they are embellished significantly?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on December 20, 2021, 04:51:46 PM
Only 1 team will win their local championship. I wonder the amount spend by senior club teams in total within a county. Used to be rumour Dublin club teams would incentive certain players to join.

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 20, 2021, 06:24:13 PM
How much accuracy is there in some of these numbers being floated round? Is there a possibility they are embellished significantly?

I had a county player tell me about an infamous club in Dublin who offered him €15k to join well over a decade ago.

At some stage the Revenue are going to start targetting club managers given the amounts involved.

What could get seriously messy for the GAA is if the Revenue start tracing the payments the various managers receive and start looking for the sources of this money.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: twohands!!! on December 20, 2021, 06:31:08 PM

I had a county player tell me about an infamous club in Dublin who offered him €15k to join well over a decade ago.

At some stage the Revenue are going to start targetting club managers given the amounts involved.

What could get seriously messy for the GAA is if the Revenue start tracing the payments the various managers receive and start looking for the sources of this money.

Would the sensible ones not be putting their 'income' (if that's what it is, not expenses) through their account?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

GiveItToTheShooters

Surely just a standing order to the managers to pay for their "mileage" and some or most of it paid by brown envelopes?

imtommygunn

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 20, 2021, 06:31:00 PM
You are in complete denial on this issue, for whatever reason.

There are vast sums of money changing hands.

I just don't believe everything I read on the internet.

If the sums are as big as is said why would any of these people have other jobs?

clarshack

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 20, 2021, 07:06:14 PM
Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on December 20, 2021, 06:31:00 PM
You are in complete denial on this issue, for whatever reason.

There are vast sums of money changing hands.

I just don't believe everything I read on the internet.

If the sums are as big as is said why would any of these people have other jobs?

Greed?

twohands!!!

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 20, 2021, 06:40:30 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on December 20, 2021, 06:31:08 PM

Would the sensible ones not be putting their 'income' (if that's what it is, not expenses) through their account?

The sensible ones would be declaring it as income and paying tax on it.
This would probably put the individual in the clear with the Revenue.

However I'd guess there is a good chance that a significant amount probably aren't declaring it to the taxman.

An individual declaring it would potentially cause Revenue to ask where the money is coming from, which could open a nasty box of surprises from a club in question, especially if they aren't putting the full cost through the books.

If a club is paying a manager under the table I'd imagine they are straight away breaking the rules in relation to financial reporting at a minimum.

I don't know exactly what the rules are for officers/trustees of a club doing this but I'd imagine it's not dissimilar rules to directors of a business.

If a club is found to be paying a manager under the table, that pretty much has to be de facto employment which would surely have implications in terms of PRSI/pension/national insurance contributions and a whole host of other employer rules.

Depending on where the money to pay these manager is coming from and how it's transferred to them, there's probably a range of criminal/banking/money laundering laws [especially if it's money going cross border] that are being broken.

If a treasurer of a club for instance was taking money from some legitimate club source e.g. club pub/shop/lotto/fundraiser and secretly transferring it to the manager of the club, how does this look any different to the authorities to an individual stealing from the club?

I'd imagine that the authorities have pretty much turned a blind eye to it for a good while because the amounts were relatively minimal but with the increasing amounts on offer for club managers I can definitely see them start to target individuals.

If the GAA were interested in clamping down on payments to managers in clubs, they should really put together a list of all the laws and punishments clubs and individuals in clubs could be facing by paying managers.

Wildweasel74

I couldn't see any club probably putting it through the books, some under mileage expenses, some under the table to hid the mad costs they paying, and others through sponsors paiding manager directly and not through the club.

Armagh18

Quote from: JoG2 on December 20, 2021, 05:53:32 PM
Quote from: smort on December 20, 2021, 04:15:48 PM
Absolute madness if true

The ever increasing 'expenses' need looked at

Some of the numbers these days are incredible. Clubs with little to no chance of winning the championship are throwing some amounts at managers. Moran has probably banked in the region of half a mill (£500,000) at this stage
Would you not be safer throwing that sort of money at club facilities, all weather pitches, gyms, underage coaches etc etc and build long term?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Lol. We spent 2.5k there over last few months on pitch hire. Nearly busted us

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 20, 2021, 10:01:05 PM

Council pitch?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 20, 2021, 10:03:18 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on December 20, 2021, 10:01:05 PM

Council pitch?

Naw other clubs , we were out 2 nights a week for 10 weeks , plus bit of food and wee bit of help with diesel for young lads. Probably closer to 2k tbh. No councilgaa pitches in city with lights. Pearses only club with lights but they only got pitch through social development fund there and it apparently has issues. Shared with soccer club . Our council are useless , Barry o Hagen from Armagh stealing a living, talking about same pitches strategy 15 years. local parties only interested in soccer