Brawl at Wicklow U15 match

Started by The Wedger, October 11, 2021, 05:18:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

whitey

There's a certain high profile GAA player who had made more than one appearance on the Late Late Show. Completely whitewashed the fact he's bitten, eye gouged and head butted opponents

Win at all costs

Rudi

Quote from: whitey on October 12, 2021, 06:09:37 PM
There's a certain high profile GAA player who had made more than one appearance on the Late Late Show. Completely whitewashed the fact he's bitten, eye gouged and head butted opponents

Win at all costs

Meath man or possibly half the Meath team from the nineties.

Eire90

bunch of idiots that think some local village rivalry is important no one cares in the bigger world but in their eyes they are the center of the universe.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Rudi on October 12, 2021, 07:30:59 PM
Quote from: whitey on October 12, 2021, 06:09:37 PM

Win at all costs

Meath man or possibly half the Meath team from the nineties.

Definitely must of been them. And a so called " legend " from that team you can include spitting.

Itchy

Quote from: J70 on October 12, 2021, 04:54:31 PM
What about setting a lesson for kids that the GAA will not indulge or tolerate thuggery? That there are consequences, that the members are representing their club and the clubs are responsible for the conduct of their members?

The lesson would be that they are being punished for other peoples thuggery, siege mentality and all that. The proposal by Wobbler I think was that there would be no football for U13s, U15s, U17s, U20s and seniors in both clubs for 12 months. I think that is grossly unfair and counter productive as it will drive kids away from the game. They cant simply transfer elsewhere (who would want to take the entire contents of one clubs underage team into their own for 1 year anyway!)

Fining maybe means nothing to some clubs, fair enough. But there has to be a different way than taking it out on the kids. Life bans for all those identified on the field fighting would be a good start.

Rudi

The blue & yellow supporters & mentors come out of this looking far worse than the Kilcoole supporters & mentors. A big fat ape dressed in all black clearly assaults a mentor with shorts dressed in green & yellow. The same mentor is assaulted by a big ape of a woman, who also calls him a pri"k. One of the mentors dressed in blue also assaults a supporter dressed in grey, pulls the top over his head & hits him a few slaps. Those 3 should be done for assault for starters. It was also a "D" Final for ffs.

whitey

Americans ask you all the time do Irish people hate the British

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

I've heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

Rudi

Quote from: whitey on October 13, 2021, 02:09:25 PM

I tell them that the Irish probably hate the people living in the next village over way more than they hate the British

Ireland is a very tribal society and the GAA is a perfect outlet for some of the aggressions that would formerly have been settled via faction fighting

I've heard stuff drug up at matches that happened decades ago and had nothing to do with football

78km from Carnew to Kilcoole so local rivals doesn't hold much water.

iorras

Spot on
And the one eyedness of it, I've seen mentors from our club verbally abuse under age players, free takers for example. One Regularly gets sent off, bawling at the ref all the time, same man would start a fight in a phone box. Our gang tut tut and shake their heads as "hes one of ours" but nobody does nothing. A mentor from an opposition team ever does half of what our lad does and theirs outrage "disgrace, should be ashamed etc etc" The hypocrisy at times is unreal. I'm also involved with underage rugby and its generally not tolerated, two mothers abused a ref after an underage match recently, followed him to the dressing room shouting abuse at him. Club was fined 500 euro and the sanction was going to be increased if we didnt show that we had dealt with the parents, the mothers weren't club members so there wasn't much that could be done but the club had to send them letters telling them they werent welcome at games if they couldn't behave themselves and if it happened again their children would unfortunately be asked to play somewhere else. I know rugby is not GAA but if there's consequences to your actions people can generally find a way to  control themselves.

J70

Quote from: iorras on October 13, 2021, 05:14:36 PM

Spot on
And the one eyedness of it, I've seen mentors from our club verbally abuse under age players, free takers for example. One Regularly gets sent off, bawling at the ref all the time, same man would start a fight in a phone box. Our gang tut tut and shake their heads as "hes one of ours" but nobody does nothing. A mentor from an opposition team ever does half of what our lad does and theirs outrage "disgrace, should be ashamed etc etc" The hypocrisy at times is unreal. I'm also involved with underage rugby and its generally not tolerated, two mothers abused a ref after an underage match recently, followed him to the dressing room shouting abuse at him. Club was fined 500 euro and the sanction was going to be increased if we didnt show that we had dealt with the parents, the mothers weren't club members so there wasn't much that could be done but the club had to send them letters telling them they werent welcome at games if they couldn't behave themselves and if it happened again their children would unfortunately be asked to play somewhere else. I know rugby is not GAA but if there's consequences to your actions people can generally find a way to  control themselves.

There's no "I know rugby is not GAA" about this.

An expectation for basic decency and self-control should be the minimum standard anywhere, in any situation.

Unfortunately people are reluctant to confront such behaviour, especially in a situation such as a local parish club where everyone knows each other, as you outline. Therefore, the leadership of the GAA at county level needs to step in and start dishing out suitable punishments to the clubs involved. There'd be a lot less indulgence of these wankers then, including within the clubs themselves once it was evident that everyone will suffer as a result of their bullshit.

Itchy

J70, that approach from the rugby club would be quite fair to apply to this instance with a bigger fine and proof of clubs banning people involved.

quit yo jibbajabba

"Alright lads the clubs been fined £500 yis all know who was at the match yis know who the gobshites were so ye can sort this fine out amongst yourselves"

Silver hill

IMO, there should never be a monetary fine used as a sanction in the GAA. Completely counterproductive in an amateur sport.
Close a pitch for 12 months, life bans if applicable, dock league points by all means.
The most effective one I've seen is if a club is thrown out of championship for a year. That tends to put manners on people.

whitey

https://m.independent.ie/regionals/wicklow/sport/gaa/gaa-clubs-attempt-to-heal-rift-following-weekend-brawl-40943795.html

LOL-both teams were scheduled to meet this coming weekend in a minor final, but that has wisely been postponed

Silks the clown calling for a 5 year ban and fines for those involved

Probably the best sanction would be to ban their supporters from attending games for a year. With the advent of required ticketing for club games, it would be very easy to implememt

Eire90

and why would you hate someone because they come from another village are the gaa creating conflict where it should not