Author Topic: Brawl at Wicklow U15 match  (Read 4971 times)

City Dweller

• View Profile
Re: Brawl at Wicklow U15 match
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2021, 01:33:25 PM »
Code of of conducts are all good.

Question is what should be the punishment be here (or for something similar)?  How is it administered ?

tyroneman

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2021, 01:36:55 PM »
Would certainly help if parents, mentors and players were all taken through the actual rules of the game at the start of each season.

The amount of noise from people shouting nonsense is unreal, on and off the pitch and is often the catalyst for things to start getting heated.
Yeah the rules half the time seem to cause issue. Players, refs, coaches and supporters alike arenít helped by the uncertainty around most of the them and the fact they seem to change every week depending on the ref or with certain refs with every play

And the fact that many of the 'experts' on TV don't know them either

Louther

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2021, 01:42:14 PM »
This will go the usual way.

Shock and outrage at the clip for days on end.
Wicklow GAA announce an investigation.
HQ GAA will say nothing - itís a matter for local county board. 
Investigation will be done quietly over few months.
Clubs circle the wagons - no names given, looked worse than it was, we seen nothing. 
Few suspensions handed out.
Outrage at suspensions.
Appealed and cut in half.
Carry on same as normal.

People will shout and call for heavy punishment but no one will be willing to hand it out or make the decision on it.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2021, 01:59:01 PM »
A fine only punishes the clubs who struggle financially.

I agree with wobbler. The only way to have these people ostracised from their clubs is to piss the rest of the club off. A fine is unlikely to do that. A whole club championship ban will.

Ban the kids from playing cos their parents went fighting? All I saw in that video was kids in shock wandering around as adults thumped each other. Totally disagree with banning club from competing.

Duine Inteacht Eile

• View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2021, 02:04:03 PM »
Quite simply, yes. There will be outrage in the club and rightly so. Those responsible will be hounded from the door.

It is harsh but it is the only effective method of dealing with this shite. The problem is people arenít really serious about wanting to deal with it and itíll play out as Louther says above. Time and time again.
So, there is little point on us pretending to be outraged at it. We donít have the balls to do anything about it.

By the way, I donít just mean the kids, I mean seniors and all.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2021, 02:08:03 PM by Duine Inteacht Eile »

thewobbler

• View Profile
    • Balllyholland Harps GAC
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »

I agree with wobbler. The only way to have these people ostracised from their clubs is to piss the rest of the club off. A fine is unlikely to do that. A whole club championship ban will.

Ban the kids from playing cos their parents went fighting? All I saw in that video was kids in shock wandering around as adults thumped each other. Totally disagree with banning club from competing.

Itís not banning kids from playing. Itís banning clubs from competing.

They may mean the same thing to you. But theyíre not.

Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2021, 02:23:29 PM »
Carnew V Kilcoole, Carnew is a village described as a Protestant enclave. Carnew lost, after the final whistle a Carnew player was sent off. Possible sledging.

whitey

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2021, 02:44:33 PM »
I was talking to someone over the weekend who has kids playing at u6 and u10 level

They told me that they were at a challenge match and one of the mothers was ďencouraging really rough playĒ.

If a parent is encouraging either 6 or 10 year olds to start flaking all around them at at challenge match they should seek psychiatric help never mind getting banned from attending matches

RedHand88

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2021, 03:26:40 PM »
Carnew V Kilcoole, Carnew is a village described as a Protestant enclave. Carnew lost, after the final whistle a Carnew player was sent off. Possible sledging.

Rudi

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2021, 03:28:15 PM »

;D ;)

Farrandeelin

• Hey buckaroo! How are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2021, 03:32:22 PM »

Was it Carnew that bundled the ref in the boot of the car too? Some history of 'taking it a bit too far' if it was!
The woman in red has the car parked on the slope.

Itchy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2021, 03:46:38 PM »

So explain it to me. How does a kid play football during a season when their club is banned from competition.

bigarsedkeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2021, 03:50:30 PM »

It never sticks though. Through appeals or whatever it ends up not being enforced.

And you're right on the club trying to deal with it themselves - even if you do it by the book it just causes a split. Your dealing with families you've grew up with etc. Impossible to get right from the inside.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2021, 03:57:06 PM »

So explain it to me. How does a kid play football during a season when their club is banned from competition.

They donít.

But itís not the kids that are getting punished. Itís the club as a whole. Not the u15s. The real punishment is not to the kids, who can transfer, okay other sports, etc, but instead itís what happens to a club when all this is going on. Itís a proper punishment.

Whereas if any club-wide sanction is going to be met with ďwonít someone think of the children?Ē winning out the day, then there can be no such thing as a club-wide sanction.

Fines are not just a waste of time, but extraordinarily inegalitarian. Rich clubs will sign the cheques. Financial basket cases will refuse to pay, and eventually will win out with a sob story. The clubs in the middle get it rough, but never quite rough enough to start handing out internal sanctions.

thewobbler

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2021, 03:58:53 PM »

It never sticks though. Through appeals or whatever it ends up not being enforced.

And you're right on the club trying to deal with it themselves - even if you do it by the book it just causes a split. Your dealing with families you've grew up with etc. Impossible to get right from the inside.

Eventually thereíll be an incident so vile that the punishment will stick.