Football All stars 2021

Started by hoynevalley, August 17, 2021, 07:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: phpearse on September 17, 2021, 10:25:30 AM
I would have that as my team as well and with Meyler as POTY

David Moran, no chance.

shawshank

Four Kerry players in comparison to two from Mayo. Mayo beat a couple of good teams. Kerry beat no one, period. Moran ffs we're having a laugh. That's nonsense

nrico2006

Some turnaround for Meyler, from someone who people didn't want on the Tyrone team (and someone who wouldn't have been a starter) to a regular and POTY candidate.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Estimator on September 17, 2021, 10:20:31 AM
Cahair O'Kane has picked his selection:
1. Niall Morgan
2. Tom O'Sullivan
3. Ronan McNamee
4. Padraig Hampsey
5. Lee Keegan
6. Peter Harte
7. Kieran McGeary
8. Matthew Ruane
9. David Moran
10. Conor Meyler FOTY
11. Paudie Clifford
12. Niall Sludden
13. Darren McCurry
14. David Clifford
15. Ciaran Kilkenny

Thats the worst team I've seen so far from anyone, 4 Kerry players and 2 from Mayo is comical.

Armagh18

1. Niall Morgan
2. Tom O'Sullivan
3. Ronan McNamee
4. Padraig Hampsey
5. Lee Keegan
6. Peter Harte
7. Kieran McGeary
8. Matthew Ruane
9. David Moran
10. Conor Meyler FOTY
11. Paudie Clifford
12. Niall Sludden
13. Darren McCurry
14. David Clifford
15. Ciaran Kilkenny
McKernan over O'Sullivan for starters. Moran no chance, Kilpatrick is a cert. Conror, Flynn and O'Donoughue all more deserving than Kilkenny. Wouldn't be giving Paudie Clifford one either, alright looking good against bad teams. If he's getting one Rian O'Neill deserves one too because he put in a class performance against a very good Monaghan team.

BennyCake

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 17, 2021, 12:30:02 PM
1. Niall Morgan
2. Tom O'Sullivan
3. Ronan McNamee
4. Padraig Hampsey
5. Lee Keegan
6. Peter Harte
7. Kieran McGeary
8. Matthew Ruane
9. David Moran
10. Conor Meyler FOTY
11. Paudie Clifford
12. Niall Sludden
13. Darren McCurry
14. David Clifford
15. Ciaran Kilkenny
McKernan over O'Sullivan for starters. Moran no chance, Kilpatrick is a cert. Conror, Flynn and O'Donoughue all more deserving than Kilkenny. Wouldn't be giving Paudie Clifford one either, alright looking good against bad teams. If he's getting one O'Neill deserves one too because he put in a class performance against a very good Monaghan team.

He'll get a token nomination.

So that the big journalists can say "of course we watch the earlier rounds of the championship "

tonto1888

Quote from: BennyCake on September 17, 2021, 01:09:28 PM
1. Niall Morgan
2. Tom O'Sullivan
3. Ronan McNamee
4. Padraig Hampsey
5. Lee Keegan
6. Peter Harte
7. Kieran McGeary
8. Matthew Ruane
9. David Moran
10. Conor Meyler FOTY
11. Paudie Clifford
12. Niall Sludden
13. Darren McCurry
14. David Clifford
15. Ciaran Kilkenny
McKernan over O'Sullivan for starters. Moran no chance, Kilpatrick is a cert. Conror, Flynn and O'Donoughue all more deserving than Kilkenny. Wouldn't be giving Paudie Clifford one either, alright looking good against bad teams. If he's getting one O'Neill deserves one too because he put in a class performance against a very good Monaghan team.

He'll get a token nomination.

So that the big journalists can say "of course we watch the earlier rounds of the championship "

It would be a deserved nomination but he has no chance of getting an actual all star

JoG2

1. Niall Morgan
2. Tom O'Sullivan
3. Ronan McNamee
4. Padraig Hampsey
5. Lee Keegan
6. Peter Harte
7. Kieran McGeary
8. Matthew Ruane
9. David Moran
10. Conor Meyler FOTY
11. Paudie Clifford
12. Niall Sludden
13. Darren McCurry
14. David Clifford
15. Ciaran Kilkenny
[/quote]McKernan over O'Sullivan for starters. Moran no chance, Kilpatrick is a cert. Conror, Flynn and O'Donoughue all more deserving than Kilkenny. Wouldn't be giving Paudie Clifford one either, alright looking good against bad teams. If he's getting one Rian O'Neill deserves one too because he put in a class performance against a very good Monaghan team.

Whatever about the rest, the bit in bold is more nonsense than Moran in for POTY

Hound

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 17, 2021, 11:09:33 AM
1. Niall Morgan
2. Tom O'Sullivan
3. Ronan McNamee
4. Padraig Hampsey
5. Lee Keegan
6. Peter Harte
7. Kieran McGeary
8. Matthew Ruane
9. David Moran
10. Conor Meyler FOTY
11. Paudie Clifford
12. Niall Sludden
13. Darren McCurry
14. David Clifford
15. Ciaran Kilkenny

Thats the worst team I've seen so far from anyone, 4 Kerry players and 2 from Mayo is comical.
But All Stars are individual and not team.

Kerry drew with Tyrone and Mayo were well beaten by them. Tyrone won the midfield battle v Mayo and Kerry won the midfield battle v Tyrone. Definitely a case for a Kerry midfielder.

Tom O'Sullivan had an excellent semi final. The Sunday Game picked Paddy Durcan as their corner back. If I was picking an Ireland GAA team to play tomorrow, Paddy Durcan would absolutely be in my team, but he's had a quiet year. Played okay in both semi and final, but no big impact. Stephen Coen deserves an All Star more for 2021 performances, so I think a tight call between himself and O'Sullivan. Albeit wouldn't be surprised if Durcan gets it purely on reputation.

The league does count too. Especially in a year with knockout championship. So Paudie Clifford is deserving. Certainly moreso than any Mayo or Dublin forward.

sid waddell

Paudie Clifford had a fine game in the semi-final. So did his marker Conor Meyler.

It is far from unheard of for this to happen - it's called a great individual battle - see Keith Higgins/James O'Donoghue in the 2014 replay in Limerick and Seamus Moynihan/Oisin McConville in the 2000 semi-final replay.

P. Clifford is very deserving of an All-Star.

Wildweasel74

Who on the past got player of the year for man marking players, 2 of which are defenders, yip, nobody. Kieran McGeary should be player of the year as he was consistently Tyrone best player along with Darren McCurry. McCurry will lose out due to limited impact in the Kerry game.

Armagh18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on September 23, 2021, 10:05:21 AM
Who on the past got player of the year for man marking players, 2 of which are defenders, yip, nobody. Kieran McGeary should be player of the year as he was consistently Tyrone best player along with Darren McCurry. McCurry will lose out due to limited impact in the Kerry game.
Meyler has a great shout as well, so does Morgan. I'm hoping Keegan gets nominated and wins it though.

Tres Bien

Morgan

O'Sullivan
McNamee
Hampsey

Keegan
McGeary
Harte

Ruane
Kilpatrick

Sludden
Rian O'Neill
Meyler

McCurry
Clifford
O'Donoghue

Kerry and Dublin are hamstrung by the fact that they failed to beat any Div 1 team in the Championship. Mayo beat 2, Tyrone beat 3 (and Mayo).

O'Sullivan and Clifford get theirs on the basis of their performances against Tyrone. P Clifford and S O'Shea struggled against Tyrone and were dominated by Meyler and Hampsey.

R O'Neill gave the best individual display this Championship against Monaghan.

It's easy to give them out to Tyrone this year as they had to beat numerous good teams - reigning Ulster champs, 3 division 1 teams and last years AI runners up.

I've a feeling McNamee will be done out of another all star, he deserved one in 2015 too but was overlooked there.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Tres Bien on October 01, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
Morgan

O'Sullivan
McNamee
Hampsey

Keegan
McGeary
Harte

Ruane
Kilpatrick

Sludden
Rian O'Neill
Meyler

McCurry
Clifford
O'Donoghue

Kerry and Dublin are hamstrung by the fact that they failed to beat any Div 1 team in the Championship. Mayo beat 2, Tyrone beat 3 (and Mayo).

O'Sullivan and Clifford get theirs on the basis of their performances against Tyrone. P Clifford and S O'Shea struggled against Tyrone and were dominated by Meyler and Hampsey.

It's easy to give them out to Tyrone this year as they had to beat numerous good teams - reigning Ulster champs, 3 division 1 teams and last years AI runners up.

I've a feeling McNamee will be done out of another all star, he deserved one in 2015 too but was overlooked there.

Angelo would agree with all of that.

Tres Bien

Quote from: Captain Obvious on October 01, 2021, 12:26:09 PM
Quote from: Tres Bien on October 01, 2021, 12:18:32 PM
Morgan

O'Sullivan
McNamee
Hampsey

Keegan
McGeary
Harte

Ruane
Kilpatrick

Sludden
Rian O'Neill
Meyler

McCurry
Clifford
O'Donoghue

Angelo would agree with all of that.

I would not doubt it. He was a very reasonable and pragmatic poster.