Football All stars 2021

Started by hoynevalley, August 17, 2021, 07:02:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: sid waddell on September 14, 2021, 01:29:55 PM
The six forward slots seem fairly obvious to me.

Two each from Tyrone, Mayo and Kerry.

Meyler, McCurry, Conroy, O'Donoghue, Clifford, Clifford.

Beyond that you're looking at McManus, McCarron, Flynn, Kilkenny, Sludden, Donnelly, Sean O'Shea, even Conor McKenna on "moments".

Is D. Clifford definitely deserving of one? I know he was v good in the semi, and he WILL get one.
I didn't see the Munster final, but all the talk leading up to the Dublin game was about how quiet he had been all year and how he only scored one pointed free against Cork.
Hasta la victoria siempre

JoG2

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 15, 2021, 10:31:13 AM

Beyond that you're looking at McManus, McCarron, Flynn, Kilkenny, Sludden, Donnelly, Sean O'Shea, even Conor McKenna on "moments".

Is D. Clifford definitely deserving of one? I know he was v good in the semi, and he WILL get one.
I didn't see the Munster final, but all the talk leading up to the Dublin game was about how quiet he had been all year and how he only scored one pointed free against Cork.

;D

yellowcard

I think McGeary deserves it in front of Meyler. It will be interesting though if one Mayo and two Tyrone get nominated. Mayo benefited from this before when 2 Dubs and 1 Mayo were nominated and the Mayo players (Keegan & Moran) won since I think it was decided by player votes.   

blanketattack

It was a knockout championship, so in knockout championships a great semi-final performance normally warrants an All-Star, especially a great losing semi-final display as it can't get undone by a poor performance in the final.
Besides that was v good v Tipp and Clare and didn't play badly v Cork, got on a lot of ball and set up other players rather than score himself.
Had a brilliant league campaign with Kerry (joint) champions. Kerry probably had their highest ever scoring average, scoring 13-70 in 4 games and Clifford played a part in a lot of those scores.

sid waddell

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 15, 2021, 09:33:21 AM
Keegan was back to his best this year. He had a few injuries which were affecting his performance for a while.
In line for his 5th All Star.
Lee Keegan is not just the greatest footballer never to win an All-Ireland, he's one of the greatest footballers ever to play the game.

If the GAA were doing an update of their Teams of the Century/Millennium, he'd walk into the number 5 jersey. A decade ago I'd have said the same about Tomás O'Se, but Keegan has surpassed him, and his contemporary James McCarthy, who is also not a bad footballer at all at all.

LeoMc

Quote from: Cobra on September 15, 2021, 09:34:35 AM
It is hard to overlook McGeary as POTY. However when Tyrone do win an AI they do there best not to select Tyrone players for this award.
Apart from ONeill and Cavanagh!

Armagh18

Quote from: blanketattack on September 15, 2021, 11:16:49 AM

It was a knockout championship, so in knockout championships a great semi-final performance normally warrants an All-Star, especially a great losing semi-final display as it can't get undone by a poor performance in the final.
Besides that was v good v Tipp and Clare and didn't play badly v Cork, got on a lot of ball and set up other players rather than score himself.
Had a brilliant league campaign with Kerry (joint) champions. Kerry probably had their highest ever scoring average, scoring 13-70 in 4 games and Clifford played a part in a lot of those scores.
Yeah he probably does deserve one. All semi finalists will most likely get at least one and he is the most deserving of the Kerrymen. Honestly cant pick someone from Dublin where you couldnt very easily pick a brave few players in front of him. 

RedHand88

Quote from: Armagh18 on September 15, 2021, 12:59:17 PM

Yeah he probably does deserve one. All semi finalists will most likely get at least one and he is the most deserving of the Kerrymen. Honestly cant pick someone from Dublin where you couldnt very easily pick a brave few players in front of him.

I thought P Clifford was very good until the Tyrone game.

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 15, 2021, 01:01:23 PM

Yeah he was class up until he met a decent team...

Maroon Manc

Quote from: RedHand88 on September 15, 2021, 01:01:23 PM

Can you really give someone an All Star based on performances against Tipp & Cork.

imtommygunn

I know Kerry tanked cork and cork are not the power they were but they'd have put it up to a good few teams. They played Clare too.

Armagh18

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 15, 2021, 02:22:24 PM
I know Kerry tanked cork and cork are not the power they were but they'd have put it up to a good few teams. They played Clare too.
Munster this year was like Leinster most years-decent teams shite the bed against the big boys.

Estimator

Cahair O'Kane has picked his selection:
1. Niall Morgan
2. Tom O'Sullivan
3. Ronan McNamee
4. Padraig Hampsey
5. Lee Keegan
6. Peter Harte
7. Kieran McGeary
8. Matthew Ruane
9. David Moran
10. Conor Meyler FOTY
11. Paudie Clifford
12. Niall Sludden
13. Darren McCurry
14. David Clifford
15. Ciaran Kilkenny
Ulster League Champions 2009

phpearse

I would have that as my team as well and with Meyler as POTY

square_ball

Same. I think that team is pretty spot on. And Meyler as well would be my player of the year.