AI Minor Championship 2021

Started by omagh_gael, August 15, 2021, 01:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

Don't see a thread on this. What's the story then, who would be considered favourites. Can see no sign of bookie odds but Meath's trimming of Dublin bound to have them up there.

Tyrone v Cork
Sligo v Meath

twohands!!!

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 15, 2021, 01:47:09 PM
Don't see a thread on this. What's the story then, who would be considered favourites. Can see no sign of bookie odds but Meath's trimming of Dublin bound to have them up there.

Tyrone v Cork
Sligo v Meath

Based on the games I've seen and the results so far Tyrone would be strong favourites.
Cork squeaked by what was supposed to be the weakest Kerry side in years and were very unimpressive against an ordinary Limerick side.
Sligo in massive bonus territory.
Meath decent without being anything special.
If all goes to form Tyrone will win it out handily enough against Meath in the final.
However they are only young lads and sometimes teams have an off day (especially at U17 level).

Blowitupref

Quote from: twohands!!! on August 16, 2021, 02:36:34 PM
Quote from: omagh_gael on August 15, 2021, 01:47:09 PM

Tyrone v Cork
Sligo v Meath

Based on the games I've seen and the results so far Tyrone would be strong favourites.
Cork squeaked by what was supposed to be the weakest Kerry side in years and were very unimpressive against an ordinary Limerick side.
Sligo in massive bonus territory.
Meath decent without being anything special.
If all goes to form Tyrone will win it out handily enough against Meath in the final.
However they are only young lads and sometimes teams have an off day (especially at U17 level).

Agreed Tyrone look like the stand out team. Could easily have a semi final double header in Croke Park this weekend instead of sticking to the original plan of Breffni Park, O'Connor and crowds of only 2,000.

Update GAA HQ has confirmed Breffni Park for Sligo v Meath and Tullamore for Tyrone v Cork.

12.45pm and  2.30pm throw in times on Saturday and TG4 covering both games.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

saffronandblue

I'd expect Sligo to win it out.  A bit like Offaly and their under 20's, they have put a very strong team together.  Would have won the Connacht Final by a lot more if it had been a decent day.

Blowitupref

Quote from: saffronandblue on August 16, 2021, 03:45:08 PM
I'd expect Sligo to win it out.  A bit like Offaly and their under 20's, they have put a very strong team together.  Would have won the Connacht Final by a lot more if it had been a decent day.

That's a bold prediction. Having watched the Connacht final Sligo made best use of the conditions and I think another wet and windy day could suit them v Meath.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 16, 2021, 04:47:29 PM

That's a bold prediction. Having watched the Connacht final Sligo made best use of the conditions and I think another wet and windy day could suit them v Meath.

Sligo have beaten Tyrone this year in a fairly competitive challenge game. That said there is no form book really so hard to know.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Itchy on August 17, 2021, 01:27:45 PM

Sligo have beaten Tyrone this year in a fairly competitive challenge game. That said there is no form book really so hard to know.

Can't read too much out of challenges. Roscommon U20s beat Offaly by a bit to spare in a June challenge.

It's hard to know as the occasion of All Ireland semi final can get the better of players especially under 17s.

God14

At the time of the challenge game,  how many of the 2021 panel were with the 2020 panel?

Itchy

Quote from: God14 on August 17, 2021, 03:21:55 PM

At the time of the challenge game,  how many of the 2021 panel were with the 2020 panel?

I dont know, do you?

thejuice

12:45 throw in.

Live on TG4

Meath (All-Ireland MFC semi-final v Sligo):

Oisin McDermott;

Conor Ennis, Liam Kelly, Brian O'Halloran;
Shaun Leonard, Tomas Corbett, Killian Smyth;

Paul Wilson, Jack Kinlough;

Andrew Moore, Sean Emmanuel, Conor McWeeney;
Christian Finlay, Oisin O Murchu, Hughie Corcoran

Leonard, Kinlough and Hughie Corcoran have been the stand outs for us so far. Hard to gauge us based on Leinster form as the quality has been falling a bit in the province the last few years but then Offaly bucked that trend so we'll have to see but we're in with a good shot at getting to the final.

It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Blowitupref

Sean Emmanuel stood out in the Leinster final v Dublin.

Sligo line up. Both semi finals Live on TG4 TV channel

nrico2006

Over the years you learn challenge games at minor mean nothing, from non involvement of players due to school, club commitments etc. This year has an additional factor in that you had the 2020 and 2021 championship being played simultaneously which has resulted in more absentees than normal.  I haven't watched any of the minor teams from outside Ulster so can't comment on them, but I haven't seen a more impressive Tyrone minor team in my lifetime. They beat Donegal comfortably in the end, but that result was from a day when they probably had their worst shooting boots on. High hopes for them but I've probably jinxed them now. Cork and Meath final.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Blowitupref

Meath 1-4 Sligo 0-3 at the water break.

Half time Meath 1-11 Sligo 1-4. 

imtommygunn

Sligo are a man up and Meath still have a free man in their own fb line  ???