Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

yellowcard

Quote from: sensethetone on August 29, 2021, 10:30:53 AM
Quote from: The Subbie on August 29, 2021, 09:46:24 AM
Quote from: RedHand88 on August 29, 2021, 09:11:29 AM
One thing I noticed on the sky coverage just as the players were coming off after 70mins was the difference in body language between the teams. They showed close ups of the two Clifford's and Brian Ó Beaglaoich, all looked shell-shocked and exhausted. By comparison Hampsey and McCann looked like they were at the start of a match, not the end.
I noticed that
I put it down to the Kerry lads thought that it was theirs to loose and the papers said so
Extra time wasn't in their plans for the day at all at all
Turn up, play the game, run the scoreboard up and the trickiest thing to manage was
making it back to Hueston station for the 17:30 to Tralee
Just turning up mentality cost Kerry a goal when they tried to show boat the ball into the net..

That was a shocking piece of positional awareness by O'Brien. All he had to do was step half a metre back, schoolboy error.

RedHand88

One thing I noticed on the sky coverage just as the players were coming off after 70mins was the difference in body language between the teams. They showed close ups of the two Clifford's and Brian Ó Beaglaoich, all looked shell-shocked and exhausted. By comparison Hampsey and McCann looked like they were at the start of a match, not the end.
I noticed that
I put it down to the Kerry lads thought that it was theirs to loose and the papers said so
Turn up, play the game, run the scoreboard up and the trickiest thing to manage was

Maybe they saw the Kerry v Mayo AIF thread on here  ;D ;D ;D

Everyone had them as title favourites after they beat Clare and Tipperary. It was hilarious, none of us up here believed it. It was absolute madness to write Tyrone off this summer after some of the performances throughout the championship. We would have beaten Dublin as well had the draw went that way.

Hugely proud of the team yesterday. Dooher/Logan proving to be a formidable force and they've instilled some lovely football. With a few years left in McShane, McKenna, McGeary and of course Canavan we'll be there or thereabouts for a while.

Peter Keane complaining of his teams preparation being disrupted is really galling and shows a complete lack of awareness of the Tyrone situation these last few weeks. Tyrone only had 20 at training less than two weeks ago.

If Tyrone do go on to win Sam we will have beaten Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo along the way. What an achievement that would be!

Cobra

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 29, 2021, 10:51:53 AM
I noticed that

Maybe they saw the Kerry v Mayo AIF thread on here  ;D ;D ;D

Everyone had them as title favourites after they beat Clare and Tipperary. It was hilarious, none of us up here believed it. It was absolute madness to write Tyrone off this summer after some of the performances throughout the championship. We would have beaten Dublin as well had the draw went that way.

Hugely proud of the team yesterday. Dooher/Logan proving to be a formidable force and they've instilled some lovely football. With a few years left in McShane, McKenna, McGeary and of course Canavan we'll be there or thereabouts for a while.

Peter Keane complaining of his teams preparation being disrupted is really galling and shows a complete lack of awareness of the Tyrone situation these last few weeks. Tyrone only had 20 at training less than two weeks ago.

If Tyrone do go on to win Sam we will have beaten Donegal, Monaghan, Kerry and Mayo along the way. What an achievement that would be!

More proof if it ever were needed that Kerry won lots of easy All Irelands.

imtommygunn

I don't see how that's proof of anything. Strolling through your province doesn't prepare you for tough games. If you stroll through the province and then the other games after your province then you are too good. That doesn't tell you it was a easy all Ireland. It tells you you're better than anyone else. If other teams are near your level and have tougher games getting there then you get a shock in these games. Dublin 2012 and Kerry in a few instances have got this. If anything Munster being easy has probably cost Kerry all Irelands.

Nanderson

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2021, 10:35:14 AM
Quote from: sensethetone on August 29, 2021, 10:30:53 AM
I noticed that
Just turning up mentality cost Kerry a goal when they tried to show boat the ball into the net..

That was a shocking piece of positional awareness by O'Brien. All he had to do was step half a metre back, schoolboy error.
As bad as the positioning for O'Brien was, why o'shea didn't just roll it in with the left i'll never know. i'd imagine most club forwards would have backed themselves in that position 

BennyHarp

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2021, 09:59:16 AM
There will be questions as to why they granted the extra week to Tyrone now. There was much talk in the media of them needing the game in preparation for the final. By inference that was being totally dismissive of Tyrone and perhaps they weren't ready for the war of attrition attitude that Tyrone brought.

Whatever the reason they looked both physically and mentally shot and devoid of any real leadership on the pitch.

Winning 5 minor titles in a row and looking good in the League guarantees nothing and it certainly doesn't prepare you for what Tyrone brought to the table yesterday. It was down in the trenches stuff at times and Kerry were found wanting. Once Kerry didn't take advantage of the Sludden black card and push on, I always feared for them in a tight finish. They have been mentally weak in the Dublin drawn final of 2019 and the Cork match last year. Yesterday was just another scar.

One thing that was baffling was the amount of Kerry players going down with cramp. Physically they look to have bulked up this year yet many of their players blew up before the game was finished.

Ffs let it go. A fit Kerry team played a fit Tyrone team. There was no advantage to either team on the day and Kerry lost. This bollocks about their preparations being disrupted is ridiculous in comparison to Tyrone's preparation. If anything yesterday proved the GAA absolutely correct to give Tyrone the extra week and the creditably of the championship is intact. You'd think some people wanted Kerry to have the advantage of playing a team who had severe health issues and didn't fancy the challenge of a fully fit, raring to go Tyrone team. 
That was never a square ball!!

Jim Bob

Has it been medically proven you can't be fully fit 2 weeks after you have suffered the virus?
Players were playing yesterday who had the virus but luckily got over it and were able to take a full part. Why do people think they should have struggled yesterday even when they had got over it ?

Nanderson

Quote from: Jim Bob on August 29, 2021, 12:51:47 PM
Has it been medically proven you can't be fully fit 2 weeks after you have suffered the virus?
Players were playing yesterday who had the virus but luckily got over it and were able to take a full part. Why do people think they should have struggled yesterday even when they had got over it ?
Tyrone posters were posting articles on here showing how athletes took months to regain pre covid fitness levels. Probably all been deleted by now  :-X

RedHand88

Quote from: Nanderson on August 29, 2021, 01:16:07 PM
Quote from: Jim Bob on August 29, 2021, 12:51:47 PM
Tyrone posters were posting articles on here showing how athletes took months to regain pre covid fitness levels. Probably all been deleted by now  :-X

Nothing has been deleted. There is ample evidence that it can take months, do you deny this?
Imagine if Tyrone had been able to train properly as a team this last few weeks, we'd have won comfortably.

Armagh18

Whatever about covid issues if Kerry cant beat that Tyrone team thats on them. Too arrogant and thought they just had to show up. Hopefully Mayo wont make the same mistake.

whitey

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 29, 2021, 12:15:49 PM
I don't see how that's proof of anything. Strolling through your province doesn't prepare you for tough games. If you stroll through the province and then the other games after your province then you are too good. That doesn't tell you it was a easy all Ireland. It tells you you're better than anyone else. If other teams are near your level and have tougher games getting there then you get a shock in these games. Dublin 2012 and Kerry in a few instances have got this. If anything Munster being easy has probably cost Kerry all Irelands.

Strolling through your province usually means you have a full squad for the final-ie no one gets injured in tough games leading in to the penultimate stage

imtommygunn

It also means no proper competitive games and you are not as sharp. There have been various examples of being caught short here when the team having it easy didn't know what had hit them.

HokeyPokey

There's plenty of the sour grapes from some Kerry supporters and former players etc. It's crazy how it all started. An intense performance by a great and young team in 2003 dominated and beat a complacent Kerry team. We had been close to All-Irelands and it was our first, but they wanted to diminish that. Kerry have 37 All-Irelands, they should be more magnanimous. Don't get me wrong, there's plenty of eejit Tyrone supporters too, but I don't think there was the same level of sour grapes from any Tyrone media or commentator after the many times Kerry have beaten us in the championship since 2008. I think some of Tyrone's reaction to Kerry comes from being treated very condescendingly and expected to koktow to the 'aristocratcs'. I think Spillane in the 80s said Tyrone had loads of good looking women and maybe if we sent some down to Kerry to distract them we would have a better chance of winning the AI. Aswell, every time Tyrone have beaten Kerry they have been wrote off by the media and expected to be beaten by Kerry's individual brilliance. In my opinion the Tyrone team that lined out in 2005 had better individual forwards than Kerry.

I think this could be the start of another great rivalry between the teams and it was definitely one of the sweetest wins and the most sweet since 2008!

imtommygunn

For me Tyrone were just better in 2005. In 2008 it took a massive performance to win and I don't think ten out of ten times they would have won but in 2005 they were just better all over. 2003 I would say they probably were too but it gets overlooked when videos of the manic tackling are rolled out.

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Still hard to believe Tyrone won that game. I posted yesterday that Tyrone were very much in transition under new management and that new management having a very challenging first year in charge due to Covid. Very hard to build a new side and get your ideas across when you couldn't train together even for months, then have a very short league campaign. On top of that, injury has meant they haven't been able to get McShane and Canavan starting and as integral to the team as they surely planned. Still working out how best to employ McKenna too. I couldn't see how they could win.

Then we played 20 minutes with 14. We struggled to win our own kick outs. Morgan did his usual mix of sublime and ridiculous. And yet we won. The tackling was fantastic. We kept going when things weren't going our way. We handled the spells with 14 superbly. When the goal chances came we were clinical. The team did play without fear, something that I feel wasn't the case for Mickey's team in recent seasons.

Tyrone are still in transition and it should be possible to get more from that team as time goes on, but that victory is huge after so many years of losing big games. A final I just didn't expect to be in and one to savour.

Kerry can have no reasonable complaints, for the reasons listed above they simply should not have been losing to Tyrone at the moment.