Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

nrico2006

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 25, 2021, 08:22:02 PM
Have Tyrone improved? I think they've went back a good bit.

Tyrone in 03 were a top team whereas I think they're maybe not quite at that level here. That said I don't think Kerry are as good as 03 either.

Going by championship performance you could argue Kerry haven't improved either.  Humbled last year and just played the usual Munster fodder this year.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

nrico2006

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 25, 2021, 09:08:09 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 25, 2021, 03:37:55 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 25, 2021, 05:17:47 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 24, 2021, 09:35:45 PM
I always loved the Football ranking table that Laoiseman does on Boards.ie I dunno did he ever post it here too...

Anyway, here's the current top 10 with the 4 provincials and the other semi final making up the movement you see.

1|▲2|Mayo|109.70|6.14
2|▼-1|Dublin|107.58|-4.30
3|▼-1|Kerry|104.48|0.00
4|=|Tyrone|103.25|1.43
5|▲2|Donegal|93.40|0.00
6|▼-1|Galway|92.84|-1.84
7|▼-1|Monaghan|92.56|-1.43
8|=|Kildare|91.10|0.00
9|=|Meath|90.84|0.00
10|=|Cork|89.48|0.00

he hasn't done his predictions based on the model for this weekend which tend to be a lot more detailed than just "team a is above team b so they will win", I think it takes past results between the teams, current form etc also into account so it could be interested.

I was actually really shocked at how close Tyrone and Kerry are and how far Donegal are off the top 4.
Hmm Armagh should be on that list... Monaghan above Galway and close or ahead of Donegal. Armagh similar level to those 2. Kerry a whole pile further ahead of Tyrone... verry little between the big 3. Imo of course.

How/why should Armagh be on that list?
Because they were a brain fart away from beating Monaghan in the championship, they're definitely clear of Cork, Galway, Kildare and Meath. Drew with Donegal in the league and gave Tyrone a game after being crippled with injuries. For me there is the top 3 who are well clear with not an awful pile between any of them, then the 4 Ulster teams with not a whole pile between them (Armagh probably admittedly the weakest but not by much.) Then the rest.

Theres a top 3 in Ulster and then the rest.  Wouldn't say Armagh are clear of Cork, Galway, Kildare or Meath as I would fancy any of those teams to take Armagh in the championship.  You are also putting alot of credit on the league performances/results.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

trueblue1234

Quote from: In hiding on August 26, 2021, 02:41:38 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 26, 2021, 02:15:37 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 26, 2021, 01:51:57 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 26, 2021, 12:50:38 PM
I think it's a case of let whoever wants to flail about on the hows and whyfore's of the Covid do so. But it's Thursday now so you'd like to hope a discussion on the teams and match ups might break out.
Any word on naming the teams?

I can't see Tyrone naming a team until Saturday morning and even then I'd take it with a pinch of salt.
Any word from the animals?
Will Mc Shane start ?
Will Bradley?
I'd expect McShane to start but not finish. There's people who are suited to coming on and others who try and do too much. I think McShanes a better option starting. I don't think Bradley will start.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Cobra

Be interesting to see re: McShane. Was sketchy at best the last day. More training / games under his belt it'll be interesting to see how he goes.

Armagh18

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 26, 2021, 03:03:38 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 25, 2021, 09:08:09 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 25, 2021, 03:37:55 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on August 25, 2021, 05:17:47 AM
Quote from: Jayop on August 24, 2021, 09:35:45 PM
I always loved the Football ranking table that Laoiseman does on Boards.ie I dunno did he ever post it here too...

Anyway, here's the current top 10 with the 4 provincials and the other semi final making up the movement you see.

1|▲2|Mayo|109.70|6.14
2|▼-1|Dublin|107.58|-4.30
3|▼-1|Kerry|104.48|0.00
4|=|Tyrone|103.25|1.43
5|▲2|Donegal|93.40|0.00
6|▼-1|Galway|92.84|-1.84
7|▼-1|Monaghan|92.56|-1.43
8|=|Kildare|91.10|0.00
9|=|Meath|90.84|0.00
10|=|Cork|89.48|0.00

he hasn't done his predictions based on the model for this weekend which tend to be a lot more detailed than just "team a is above team b so they will win", I think it takes past results between the teams, current form etc also into account so it could be interested.

I was actually really shocked at how close Tyrone and Kerry are and how far Donegal are off the top 4.
Hmm Armagh should be on that list... Monaghan above Galway and close or ahead of Donegal. Armagh similar level to those 2. Kerry a whole pile further ahead of Tyrone... verry little between the big 3. Imo of course.

How/why should Armagh be on that list?
Because they were a brain fart away from beating Monaghan in the championship, they're definitely clear of Cork, Galway, Kildare and Meath. Drew with Donegal in the league and gave Tyrone a game after being crippled with injuries. For me there is the top 3 who are well clear with not an awful pile between any of them, then the 4 Ulster teams with not a whole pile between them (Armagh probably admittedly the weakest but not by much.) Then the rest.

Theres a top 3 in Ulster and then the rest.  Wouldn't say Armagh are clear of Cork, Galway, Kildare or Meath as I would fancy any of those teams to take Armagh in the championship.  You are also putting alot of credit on the league performances/results.
Armagh a kick of a ball away from Monaghan in a freak game. Donegal squeezed past Derry. Very little between the best teams in Ulster.

thewobbler

Armagh haven't reached a provincial final since 2008.

Oddly, every other county in the province has managed to worm their way through to an Ulster final since then.

You might in your heart of heart want Armagh to be considered a top team. But until they start making championship progress I've no idea why anyone would definitively try to make a case that they're above the other "fits and starts" championship sides like Meath, Cork and Kildare.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: thewobbler on August 26, 2021, 04:37:13 PM
Armagh haven't reached a provincial final since 2008.

Oddly, every other county in the province has managed to worm their way through to an Ulster final since then.

You might in your heart of heart want Armagh to be considered a top team. But until they start making championship progress I've no idea why anyone would definitively try to make a case that they're above the other "fits and starts" championship sides like Meath, Cork and Kildare.
Cork for one aren't a top 10 team. Nearly a decade since they won a Munster senior title, the only All Ireland quarter final/super 8 they reached in recent years was by beating Div 3 Laois.

They were in Div 3 in 2020 and were lucky to avoid relegation back to Div 3 in the play off v Westmeath in June. The boards.ie Modeling system basically has them 10th for that fluky win last winter v Kerry.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jayop

Quote from: Rossfan on August 26, 2021, 04:41:53 PM
Quote from: Jayop on August 26, 2021, 04:29:21 PM
https://www.ticketmaster.ie/gaa-all-ireland-football-semi-final-kerry-v-tyrone-dublin-28-08-2021/event/18005B0D82F51E1E

Some tickets available now
As long as you're not afraid of heights.....

From a pure watching the game perspective the nose bleeds in Croke Park are great, you're not as far away as you'd think from the pitch and you really do have a great view of everything. That said the atmosphere up there is severely lacking.

thewobbler

Why are you looking at this inside out?

Cork may or may not be a top 10 side. But let's apply your criteria to Armagh:

- Armagh haven't won (or played in the decider of) a provincial title since 2008.

- Armagh have only made one AIQF in forever, back in 2017.

- Armagh were playing d3 football as recently as 2018.

- Unlike Armagh, Cork have beaten a top 3 side in the  championship in the past 2 seasons.

And on top of that, Cork won the most recent competitive fixture between the sides, in D2 2019.

I know as well as you do that Armagh have unearthed a couple of players since then. But surely you can understand that until those players deliver a big result or two, then expecting Armagh to be ranked higher than teams like Cork is more than a tad subjective.

Blowitupref

Quote from: thewobbler on August 26, 2021, 05:31:39 PM
Why are you looking at this inside out?

Cork may or may not be a top 10 side. But let's apply your criteria to Armagh:

- Armagh haven't won (or played in the decider of) a provincial title since 2008.

- Armagh have only made one AIQF in forever, back in 2017.

- Armagh were playing d3 football as recently as 2018.

- Unlike Armagh, Cork have beaten a top 3 side in the  championship in the past 2 seasons.

And on top of that, Cork won the most recent competitive fixture between the sides, in D2 2019.

I know as well as you do that Armagh have unearthed a couple of players since then. But surely you can understand that until those players deliver a big result or two, then expecting Armagh to be ranked higher than teams like Cork is more than a tad subjective.

My point is on Cork ranked as a top 10 team and the flaws on the ranking system that has them there with one result.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Crete Boom

Lads/ladies is the hill open for this semi final like the Dubs v Mayo match?

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Mayo4Sam14

Tickets still on sale???

Every fkcer from Kerry be sorted for a ticket if they make the final though 🙄
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!