Started by RedHand88, July 31, 2021, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

Rossfan

Could you quote that rule from the TO or wherever it's written  please?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 17, 2021, 10:32:37 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2021, 10:04:27 AM
The precedent has now been set and it will be interesting to see if/when there are Covid outbreaks during the upcoming club championships and individual teams seek postponement, how it is dealt with by county boards. The response of the Tyrone supporters has shown the tribal nature of the GAA and in many ways that is understandable. But lets not pretend that it is anything other than looking after their own interests. The Tyrone management have played a blinder from a strategic point of view, they forced the GAA's hand and got the outcome they wanted.

A precedent has not been set. The gaa rules said that once teams got to the all ireland semi finals they would be accommodated if there was a covid outbreak. In earlier championship games or the league teams would have to concede a walkover if couldn't field. What happened with Tyrone was in line with this. It's much easier to postpone a few games later in the championship than at the beginning.

What happens in the club championships will come down to the individual county board rules and time available to play the competitions.

I'm not doubting you but was this confirmed by the GAA? If so then of course that changes things.

You can imagine a situation where club teams up and down the country will be celebrating county final victories in the months ahead giving rise to Covid outbreaks. Where does that then leave the provincial club competitions if clubs seek postponements? The GAA would need to try and regularise the rules in advance otherwise there will be all sorts of administrative headaches when it comes to fixtures.

Armagh18

Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2021, 10:46:06 AM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on August 17, 2021, 10:32:37 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 17, 2021, 10:04:27 AM
The precedent has now been set and it will be interesting to see if/when there are Covid outbreaks during the upcoming club championships and individual teams seek postponement, how it is dealt with by county boards. The response of the Tyrone supporters has shown the tribal nature of the GAA and in many ways that is understandable. But lets not pretend that it is anything other than looking after their own interests. The Tyrone management have played a blinder from a strategic point of view, they forced the GAA's hand and got the outcome they wanted.

A precedent has not been set. The gaa rules said that once teams got to the all ireland semi finals they would be accommodated if there was a covid outbreak. In earlier championship games or the league teams would have to concede a walkover if couldn't field. What happened with Tyrone was in line with this. It's much easier to postpone a few games later in the championship than at the beginning.

What happens in the club championships will come down to the individual county board rules and time available to play the competitions.

I'm not doubting you but was this confirmed by the GAA? If so then of course that changes things.

You can imagine a situation where club teams up and down the country will be celebrating county final victories in the months ahead giving rise to Covid outbreaks. Where does that then leave the provincial club competitions if clubs seek postponements? The GAA would need to try and regularise the rules in advance otherwise there will be all sorts of administrative headaches when it comes to fixtures.
And there will be ones on here crying that they shouldn't be allowed to.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Louther on August 17, 2021, 08:12:04 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 17, 2021, 12:27:36 AM
Quote from: Louther on August 16, 2021, 08:53:35 PM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 16, 2021, 08:41:45 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 16, 2021, 05:28:52 PM
Seems people are forgetting covid was in the camp before the final. About 5 people had it before the final and any celebrations. Its possible more ones had it during the final without knowing it. Lateral flow tests are not 100% accurate

My point exactly too.  This virus has risen its head in the squad before the so called 'celebrations'.

Then why in the holy mother of god would they go to the pub collectively and Logan has said in his interview that mid ulster had some of the highest numbers in UK and Ireland at the time.

Yes. They've won Ulster, celebrate surely. But in a pandemic, with covid on the rise, knowing it already in the squad and you've an all Ireland semi in two weeks.

Absolute stupidity of the highest level. Did they think heading to the pub would help wash it away.

It's mad how worked up people get about something that they don't even know actually happened. Who told you they all went to the pub "collectively"? You do realise pubs aren't the only places where the virus can spread?

Are you green? Blindingly obvious some form of celebrations took place. Logan's response to twice been asked the question was the best form of deflection you see.

If there was none, it was very easy to say so at that time and since the game it's been well know that there was a gathering, Tyrone people have even said it.

"Some form of celebrations" is very different from going to the "pub collectively". I'm sure you have more info than me to be so sure to be ranting about it.
That was never a square ball!!

Louther

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 17, 2021, 10:47:55 AM
Seems people are forgetting covid was in the camp before the final. About 5 people had it before the final and any celebrations. Its possible more ones had it during the final without knowing it. Lateral flow tests are not 100% accurate

My point exactly too.  This virus has risen its head in the squad before the so called 'celebrations'.

Then why in the holy mother of god would they go to the pub collectively and Logan has said in his interview that mid ulster had some of the highest numbers in UK and Ireland at the time.

Yes. They've won Ulster, celebrate surely. But in a pandemic, with covid on the rise, knowing it already in the squad and you've an all Ireland semi in two weeks.

Absolute stupidity of the highest level. Did they think heading to the pub would help wash it away.

It's mad how worked up people get about something that they don't even know actually happened. Who told you they all went to the pub "collectively"? You do realise pubs aren't the only places where the virus can spread?

Are you green? Blindingly obvious some form of celebrations took place. Logan's response to twice been asked the question was the best form of deflection you see.

If there was none, it was very easy to say so at that time and since the game it's been well know that there was a gathering, Tyrone people have even said it.

"Some form of celebrations" is very different from going to the "pub collectively". I'm sure you have more info than me to be so sure to be ranting about it.

Who to say they not the same thing. You keep digging and making excuses. Some of the deflection here is shocking.

If i posted some of the other stories doing the rounds it be worse but I wouldn't post ideal speculation.

tyrone08

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 17, 2021, 10:25:18 AM
Quote from: Corkscrew on August 16, 2021, 01:33:41 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 15, 2021, 08:50:38 PM
I don't get the backslapping over this Kerry statement at all.

To do anything else would be heartless and a spectacular own-goal. Also, the statement is loaded with digs. The lowest one is that...'what are Tyrone at? We have been angels and it's not our fault'. God forbid there's an outbreak in the Kerry camp. They also don't say what they asked Croke. We'll never know.

Only for Kerry's intervention Tyrone would be out of the championship so you would need to rethink your opinion.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/arid-40360100.html
Fair play to Kerry and especially Mayo. No one wants to see the match not played. Hopefully Kerry tank them off the field fair and square.

bennydorano

I'd say the GAA have covered themselves OK rules wise, from reading the Irish News today it seems the GAA were 100% prepared to give Kerry a bye, seems only for Kerry & Mayo being accommodating Tyrone would be gone. Sounds like a straw they can clutch at if needs be.

trueblue1234

Quote from: Louther on August 17, 2021, 10:58:48 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 17, 2021, 10:47:55 AM

Who to say they not the same thing. You keep digging and making excuses. Some of the deflection here is shocking.

If i posted some of the other stories doing the rounds it be worse but I wouldn't post ideal speculation.
So spill the beans on what you know for a fact? How many were collectively out?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

The Black Mamba

Quote from Fergal Logan. Link https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40360751.html?type=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

"There are a series of players in the panel who are vaccinated. Obviously, vaccination is a personal choice. They were kept updated by us consistently, as to the timings of vaccinations at the different age groups. That didn't come about until late May, June, until it got in around the age group of this cohort. In fairness, part of the consideration this year was because it was a compressed league and Championship, we were anxious that if guys were vaccinated they might go under for two weeks. And that might inhibit their performance. Vaccination has been a conundrum. We didn't make it mandatory across the board" — Logan, August 16

Players chosing not to get vaccinated is so damn irresponsible.

armaghniac

Quote from: The Black Mamba on August 17, 2021, 11:24:19 AM
Quote from Fergal Logan. Link https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40360751.html?type=amp&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

"There are a series of players in the panel who are vaccinated. Obviously, vaccination is a personal choice. They were kept updated by us consistently, as to the timings of vaccinations at the different age groups. That didn't come about until late May, June, until it got in around the age group of this cohort. In fairness, part of the consideration this year was because it was a compressed league and Championship, we were anxious that if guys were vaccinated they might go under for two weeks. And that might inhibit their performance. Vaccination has been a conundrum. We didn't make it mandatory across the board" — Logan, August 16

Team management implying that they should not encourage vaccination because "they might go under for two weeks" is far worse. We have all had vaccines and it would be extremely unusual to have any significant after effect last more than 48 hours.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

Quote from: bennydorano on August 17, 2021, 11:19:38 AM
I'd say the GAA have covered themselves OK rules wise, from reading the Irish News today it seems the GAA were 100% prepared to give Kerry a bye, seems only for Kerry & Mayo being accommodating Tyrone would be gone. Sounds like a straw they can clutch at if needs be.

I didn't read that article yet but that might get them off the hook. Very accomodating of Kerry and Mayo although from reading Mike Quirke's comments I think his greater concern was simply that Kerry would be going into the AI final without a match which would not be ideal preparation for them.

I still think some communication on what the rules are should be communicated to clubs to save another furore.     

Armagh18

Quote from: armaghniac on August 17, 2021, 11:31:38 AM

Team management implying that they should not encourage vaccination because "they might go under for two weeks" is far worse. We have all had vaccines and it would be extremely unusual to have any significant after effect last more than 48 hours.
I wouldn't be getting it the day or two before a big game for sure, but any other time and there's no real excuse not to.

yellowcard

Yes, that's precisely the bit I don't understand the most. I doubt very much if this advice came from the Tyrone medical team because it is not generally accepted medical practice. It wasn't for the Tyrone management to make vaccination compulsory (it's down to personal choice) but neither should they be relaying ill founded concerns about taking ill for 2 weeks following the vaccine. 

The Black Mamba

Agreed. Actively discouraging it because, what, they might miss a training session? Even worse is that nonsense misinformation re side effects. Shameful from management.

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea