Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

trueblue1234

Quote from: David McKeown on August 15, 2021, 10:57:43 AM
Quote from: Main Street on August 15, 2021, 12:23:39 AM
It's well within the GAA's prerogative to deal with a crisis affecting an AI semi final differently than other situations. Afaic it's a no brainer (if Kerry are agreeable) to postpone the game another week, the first semi final drama has whetted the appetite even more for this game to happen.
Without Tyrone in the last 4 there's the prospect of the dreaded stain of the asterix being permanently affixed to the winner's credentials.

It's a very dangerous precedent to set though. As noted other teams have lost players to Covid over the last year or so and didn't get their games put back some could argue they were knocked out as a result. Similarly going forward teams will no doubt lose players to Covid. Do you allow two weeks for them as well. Will there be a minimum of players have to be effected, if so what's the number. Is there a level the game has to be at? If so what level?  What if Covid continues to next year? This is far from an easy decision. If it were me I'd give Tyrone more time but then I don't have to worry about these other issues.

I don't like the idea of a county board issuing an ultimatum to HQ either. This should have been resolved behind closed doors. If Tyrone issued the statement yesterday as a tactic (and I stress if) then I don't like it as I could see an avalanche of similar tactics over the next coming years from other teams to get what they want many of which may not be as meritorious as what Tyrone are trying to achieve. It reminds me of the injunction tactic before the formation of the DRA. I feel it's very unedifying.

Tyrone has lost players to Covid too, and played, they had 4 out for the UF and played on. It's the level of Covid that makes it impossible.
Talk of tactics is just nonsense. It's just stating facts, Tyrone didn't plan or wish for this scenario. So the GAA can decide if they have the ability to offer the extra week or not. If not so be it, move ahead with Kerry.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

David McKeown

That's effectively what I'm saying. Tyrone are missing a lot of players and it wouldn't be fair to expect them to field as a result but the association if they grant a postponement will have to consider what numbers are required for them to consider similar applications moving forward. No one would expect a team missing 3/4 or less to get a postponement but what about 6/7 or 11/12.  Where do you draw the line?  That's the dilemma that faces the association. That and having to explain to those other counties who have already forfeited why they weren't given postponements.

On the statement if it was simply a statement of fact I've no issue with it but given the comments of management since there may have been an element of releasing it as a tactic to have the association revisit their decision on the date for the match. It's hard to know which.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

yellowcard

Quote from: David McKeown on August 15, 2021, 11:14:05 AM
That's effectively what I'm saying. Tyrone are missing a lot of players and it wouldn't be fair to expect them to field as a result but the association if they grant a postponement will have to consider what numbers are required for them to consider similar applications moving forward. No one would expect a team missing 3/4 or less to get a postponement but what about 6/7 or 11/12.  Where do you draw the line?  That's the dilemma that faces the association. That and having to explain to those other counties who have already forfeited why they weren't given postponements.

On the statement if it was simply a statement of fact I've no issue with it but given the comments of management since there may have been an element of releasing it as a tactic to have the association revisit their decision on the date for the match. It's hard to know which.

It is very clearly a tactic. Dooher in an interview yesterday even admitted as much when he openly said that he hoped that the GAA would revisit it and grant them the extra time. If it wasn't a tactic then they will have ceased training plans for the season. I'd nearly guarantee that this is not the case just based on what Dooher said yesterday.

trueblue1234

Quote from: yellowcard on August 15, 2021, 11:18:38 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 15, 2021, 11:14:05 AM

It is very clearly a tactic. Dooher in an interview yesterday even admitted as much when he openly said that he hoped that the GAA would revisit it and grant them the extra time. If it wasn't a tactic then they will have ceased training plans for the season. I'd nearly guarantee that this is not the case just based on what Dooher said yesterday.
It's stating fact. Very simple. Of course Tyrone want to play the game, no one wants to forfeit a AI Semi final. They're not that easy got to. But they've been straight about it and said they are unable to field next wkend. I It would be silly to stop training when the gaa have said they are reviewing it. No one loses more out of this than Tyrone by not playing.  They don't have a choice.

yellowcard

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 15, 2021, 11:22:14 AM
They have just said that they can't play on that date. I'd say they will stand by that. Of course they hope the GAA will move it. That doesn't make it a tactic, just a statement of fact - they can't field on that day.

It would be daft to stop training. There's always a chance it will be moved.

Are you saying that they shouldn't have released a statement to say they can't field but rather just not turn up on the day?

Of course but some posters yesterday claimed that they had pulled out which they clearly haven't done. It is a tactic designed to buy additional time from the GAA but how can they evaluate the medical status of their players 7 days away from the game. By next Saturday some of the players who are currently ill may have made a recovery. I don't believe that they will not be in a position to field a team come next Saturday just that they want some extra preparation time on top of the recovery. No matter what happens, the GAA will not please everybody here.

imtommygunn

Were there not news articles  that specifically said they'd pulled out ?

Milltown Row2

They'll hardly be training considering the self isolation required for starters, add in the illness and fatigue. Could be weeks or even up to a month before anyone is back to match fitness.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Estimator

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 15, 2021, 12:03:52 PM
Were there not news articles  that specifically said they'd pulled out ?
Some betting companies seemed to have removed Tyrone from the equation already. Boylesports have the AI Final listed as Kerry v Mayo. PP have nothing on the final yet, but the odds to win the AI title are set only for Kerry and Mayo. Tyrone not an option.
Ulster League Champions 2009

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 15, 2021, 12:04:38 PM
They'll hardly be training considering the self isolation required for starters, add in the illness and fatigue. Could be weeks or even up to a month before anyone is back to match fitness.
Think most are through the self isolation periods or close to it now. Will depend on how players are effected. I'd imagine not everyone will be in a position to play even with the extra week but hopefully enough would have recovered to have a match day squad.

hoynevalley

The GAA will change date. Too much revenue to be lost if game not played.

Sportacus

Quote from: hoynevalley on August 15, 2021, 12:47:47 PM
The GAA will change date. Too much revenue to be lost if game not played.
I'd say you're right, but I genuinely can't see Tyrone having much chance.  When you look at the pitch Mayo got to yesterday, it's impossible for Tyrone to rise to that level without preparation, never mind a hangover from Covid for some of their players.

omagh_gael

If the GAA extend until the weekend of 28th/29th that will be after the hurling final with 40,000 in attendance. An increased attendance at Tyr v Ker at 40,000 will pull in circa 1.5-2 million euro. Bound to be very, very tempting from a financial perspective.

StPatsAbu

Newsflash!
The GAA have just announced that Dublin will take Tyrone's place in their semi final v Kerry

RedHand88

Quote from: omagh_gael on August 15, 2021, 01:29:48 PM
If the GAA extend until the weekend of 28th/29th that will be after the hurling final with 40,000 in attendance. An increased attendance at Tyr v Ker at 40,000 will pull in circa 1.5-2 million euro. Bound to be very, very tempting from a financial perspective.

That's a very good point and something they will surely be thinking about.