LCohen

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 12, 2021, 08:26:21 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 11, 2021, 10:48:24 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 11, 2021, 10:41:38 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2021, 10:30:05 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2021, 11:02:50 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 11, 2021, 10:40:51 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2021, 10:36:32 AM
If Tyrone are forced to field on Sept 21st with players who are still feeling the effects of COVID, i just hope that no players suffer complications or God forbid collapses on the pitch as a result of the exertions placed on their bodies too soon after the virus. Even if a player thinks that they have recovered, and the desire to play in an AI semi final can make players take the risk, they may not be ready. I had Covid last October and three weeks later thought I was over it. I went for a light jog and couldn't catch my breath after a short distance and could barely walk home. I was absolutely shattered. Granted these players are infinitely fitter than i am but i wasn't playing an elite level sport at the business end of the season. I hope the GAA and all those suggesting Tyrone should "just get on with it" are happy to risk a worst possible scenario for the sake of a week or so delay to the championship. The repercussions could be huge. 

How long should it be delayed if there continues to be cases in the squad, or if players are still suffering the effects even though they're no longer positive?

I have no idea - but on this issue i would suggest that you have to take what the county are saying at face value. If they are saying there is a risk in asking them to field next Saturday then that has to be taken very, very seriously. Any fall out from a health complication due to this would be absolutely massive. From my own point of view, if Tyrone are still not in a position to field the following week then they should withdraw from the championship.

without being funny, there are ore than 30 players in Tyrone, right?

Sure you could say that about any team. Your starting 15 and 5 of your best subs have covid but sure go out and get a few lads from the clubs to fufil a fixture soely for the gaa. Be pointless really as they could fmget hammered and sure they would sell no where near the full amount of tickets as no one is going to pay 50 euro to watch a make shift team.

And is it Tyrone's starting 15 and 5 best subs that have Covid?

Also is it clear that the positive cases are ill or have been unable to maintain fitness or participate in tactical/video sessions?

There are alot of first team players affected yes. A few MOTM winners this year are positive.

So you are confirming that your original supposition (first 20 picks) isn't relevant here.

Good.

We can go back to discussing what is relevant here.

I posted earlier what info Tyrone and GAA should make public in a clear statement. Maybe they should get on with that

LCohen

Quote from: thewobbler on August 12, 2021, 11:27:01 AM
Ah f**k the pub bashing has started again.

That solitary night in the pub must look at those dozens of meetings in changing rooms, video rooms and gyms, and think "there is none so blind as those who will not see".

To be clear I'm not bashing the pub per se. But I'm sure you can agree that we should be looking at what different has happened in the Tyrone camp that other camps that have not had the same issue (or to the same agree). If Tyrone have been doing something else that is different then that will come to the fore

RedHand88

Quote from: LCohen on August 12, 2021, 11:29:42 AM

That solitary night in the pub must look at those dozens of meetings in changing rooms, video rooms and gyms, and think "there is none so blind as those who will not see".

To be clear I'm not bashing the pub per se. But I'm sure you can agree that we should be looking at what different has happened in the Tyrone camp that other camps that have not had the same issue (or to the same agree). If Tyrone have been doing something else that is different then that will come to the fore

The bitterness is hanging out of you. Tyrone ones did nothing outside of the guidance.

Take the blinkers off.

yellowcard

I would imagine that teams at that level and at this stage of the championship with the stakes being so high would be receiving medical advice to first of all ensure that all their players are fully vaccinated. Although players have to exercise their own personal choice but they can't then complain if they get ill from Covid having not taken the vaccine.

After that I would imagine that they are following the correct protocols and being regularly tested to avoid widespread outbreaks within the squad. Maybe Tyrone have just been very unlucky and it is rife in the community, we don't know, but it doesn't look great that so many of them have contracted it at the same time.

armaghniac

As I said above, you could be 4 hours in the pub, the team likely did not have 4 hours of indoor meetings in a week.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 12, 2021, 11:04:31 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 12, 2021, 10:58:18 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 12, 2021, 09:54:24 AM
https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1425720201270775819

What's does 50% of players mean? Starting 15? Matchday 26? Extended panel (~40)? All footballers in Tyrone?

Theres about 20, which is actually more than half of the 32-35 Tom parsons mentioned is in a typical squad. Think Tyrone have about 40 training.
Alot of the 20 are big players. Regular starters.

I suppose the other big questions are, are they positive or symptomatic? Anyways, it'd be a crying shame to see thrown out at this stage. I know I'd be sick. Hope something works out for yous.

Any idea when a decision has to be reached by?
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: armaghniac on August 12, 2021, 11:38:23 AM

As I said above, you could be 4 hours in the pub, the team likely did not have 4 hours of indoor meetings in a week.

It's work places and schools more than anything, but it's easier for the government to blame publicans and sport teams than take responsibility
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

LCohen

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 12, 2021, 11:31:56 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 12, 2021, 11:29:42 AM

The bitterness is hanging out of you. Tyrone ones did nothing outside of the guidance.

Take the blinkers off.

Bitterness? Care to explain.

Just asking questions. Questions that need to be answered. And open minded as to what those answers will be. So let's get them answered.

No blinkers here.

LCohen

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 12, 2021, 11:46:36 AM

It's work places and schools more than anything, but it's easier for the government to blame publicans and sport teams than take responsibility

I not bashing pubs but I am prepared to go out on a limb and say it was not the schools this time

Cavan19

In a meeting it is only the team and whatever officials are required and you would hope that all are doing what they can in training, work etc to keep social distancing in place. When you go into the pub god knows who is there and who they have been in contact with over the last few days.  Add in a Ulster final win and everyone wants to talk to a team member and slap them on the back and tell them how great they are.

We seen enough of it here in Cavan after the club finals celebrations last year.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

thewobbler

Quote from: Cavan19 on August 12, 2021, 12:14:40 PM

In a meeting it is only the team and whatever officials are required and you would hope that all are doing what they can in training, work etc to keep social distancing in place. When you go into the pub god knows who is there and who they have been in contact with over the last few days.  Add in a Ulster final win and everyone wants to talk to a team member and slap them on the back and tell them how great they are.

We seen enough of it here in Cavan after the club finals celebrations last year.

Try opening your mind a little.

The chances that one or more of the panel had Covid before the Ulster final is high.

The chances that one or more of the panel contracted Covid at the pub on the night of the Ulster final is high.

The chances that one or more of the panel contracted Covid in another setting within a few days of the Ulster final is high.

The chances that 20 of the panel were infected in a superspreader event at the pub on Ulster final night is low.

The chances that a small number of infected members of the panel (infected pre, during or post the night at the pub) did not display Covid symptoms for anything up to 10 days after contracting Covid is high.

The chances of those infected players attending a lengthy video analysis session in the interim is  high.

The chances of that video session taking place in small, poorly ventilated environment is high.

——

The pub is likely part of the equation that has led Tyrone here. But see the like of you, who can thoughtlessly differentiate between some indoor spaces as being safe, and others as not being safe, you are actually a Covid danger if you live like this.

tbrick18

I'm not a major Tyrone fan, but given the circumstances we've been in for the last year and a half the only sensible and fair thing to do is to allow the extension.
Lots of talk about catching it in a pub or out celebrating....but who's to say a player didn't pick it up at work or in a shop or anywhere else and bring it to training?
Does it really matter where it came from?
Plenty of people have caught Covid who have followed public guidance.

It's a bit of a joke the conversation is even happening about where or how it got there and a decision on postponement should only be made based on how long players need to isolate and when they could reasonably be expected to be back to normal.

The only thing that should be considered is that the camp has been struck down. Given the potential impact catching it has on an individual and the risk of spreading it to others, it is unreasonable to expect a sports team to field imo.

The GAA need to make reasonable exceptions for any team struck down by Covid and in fact 2 weeks might even be too short a window. Lets say 1 player is positive and the domino effect of infections happens within a group of that size then the period of exposure for that team could go on for weeks.

Player welfare needs to be considered and in the absence of any regulation to stipulate what should happen then all decisions should be made on that basis.

thewobbler

If one of the Tyrone players develops long Covid (I sincerely hope not btw), do we wait around for him to regain fitness? What if 5 of them develop long Covid?

Eire90

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2021, 11:36:15 AM
I would imagine that teams at that level and at this stage of the championship with the stakes being so high would be receiving medical advice to first of all ensure that all their players are fully vaccinated. Although players have to exercise their own personal choice but they can't then complain if they get ill from Covid having not taken the vaccine.

After that I would imagine that they are following the correct protocols and being regularly tested to avoid widespread outbreaks within the squad. Maybe Tyrone have just been very unlucky and it is rife in the community, we don't know, but it doesn't look great that so many of them have contracted it at the same time.

People with vaccine can still get covid