Kerry by 4+

RedHand88

Quote from: LCohen on August 11, 2021, 10:48:24 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 11, 2021, 10:41:38 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2021, 10:30:05 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2021, 11:02:50 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 11, 2021, 10:40:51 AM
Quote from: BennyHarp on August 11, 2021, 10:36:32 AM
If Tyrone are forced to field on Sept 21st with players who are still feeling the effects of COVID, i just hope that no players suffer complications or God forbid collapses on the pitch as a result of the exertions placed on their bodies too soon after the virus. Even if a player thinks that they have recovered, and the desire to play in an AI semi final can make players take the risk, they may not be ready. I had Covid last October and three weeks later thought I was over it. I went for a light jog and couldn't catch my breath after a short distance and could barely walk home. I was absolutely shattered. Granted these players are infinitely fitter than i am but i wasn't playing an elite level sport at the business end of the season. I hope the GAA and all those suggesting Tyrone should "just get on with it" are happy to risk a worst possible scenario for the sake of a week or so delay to the championship. The repercussions could be huge. 

How long should it be delayed if there continues to be cases in the squad, or if players are still suffering the effects even though they're no longer positive?

I have no idea - but on this issue i would suggest that you have to take what the county are saying at face value. If they are saying there is a risk in asking them to field next Saturday then that has to be taken very, very seriously. Any fall out from a health complication due to this would be absolutely massive. From my own point of view, if Tyrone are still not in a position to field the following week then they should withdraw from the championship.

without being funny, there are ore than 30 players in Tyrone, right?

Sure you could say that about any team. Your starting 15 and 5 of your best subs have covid but sure go out and get a few lads from the clubs to fufil a fixture soely for the gaa. Be pointless really as they could fmget hammered and sure they would sell no where near the full amount of tickets as no one is going to pay 50 euro to watch a make shift team.

And is it Tyrone's starting 15 and 5 best subs that have Covid?

Also is it clear that the positive cases are ill or have been unable to maintain fitness or participate in tactical/video sessions?

There are alot of first team players affected yes. A few MOTM winners this year are positive.

Taylor

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 12, 2021, 08:01:05 AM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 11, 2021, 10:27:14 PM
Quote from: Will it ever end on August 11, 2021, 10:14:24 PM
Quote from: tyrone08 on August 11, 2021, 07:40:53 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 11, 2021, 07:25:19 PM
Player Welfare is entirely in the hands of Tyrone

Not really. Gaa are forcing tyrone to play a match where 20 of their players will not have been allowed to train or get their fitness levels up before an ll ireland semi final. Player welfare is in the hands of the gaa as they have decided that tyrone must play on this date and time knowing that they are risking those players

Get their fitness levels up 😂

I'd be amazed if they were planning any fitness work ahead of the all Ireland semi final.

If you haven't played or trained in over 2 weeks your fitness level will drop not sure how that's wrong.

Why would they not have trained for 2 weeks? They're in isolation, not blasted into space.

"If we cannot play our full team (nothwithstanding injuries etc) by the time the game comes round then I think we should withdraw."

Most other teams had to play games this year minus players who were either positive or isolating because of covid. Not a word about it - the opposite in fact - that's why you've a squad. Tyrone are not disputing that isolations are up and everyone available for next weekend - dry your eyes, get on with it and try operating more closely to the PH guidance around sport going forward.

Next year then, if players have missed training because of covid, man flu, chicken pox or whatever does that mean Tyrone will refuse to field?

Everyone is dancing around this because we're in the covid sphere at the moment and Tyrone are being pretty cynical about the pressure they are applying for another extension. The next card they play will be "mental health"...

Minus players or missing more than half of their squad?

Are you claiming Tyrone have not followed PH guidance? If so I look forward to you providing some evidence to this

yellowcard

Quote from: bigpackiechestout on August 11, 2021, 05:26:53 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 11, 2021, 05:17:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 03:07:51 PM
Lol. I've nothing against Tyrone. I'll be fully cheering them on against Kerry.

But their handling of this particular situation is rotten to the core, especially in the face of being granted a postponement by HQ.

Fair play to Tyrone - this is a carefully constructed and managed campaign. I can't blame them for their approach and given the lack of leadership / backbone in Croke Park in recent years I will be surprised if it's not successful.

The public sidestepping to avoid asking obvious questions on this issue are obvious. For example... how have so many players from one squad been affected if they were following protocols around travel, changing, meetings, etc.

Also, what impact have the post Ulster final celebrations had on these infections?

If I were the GAA I would have wanted full disclosure on all of that before granting the one week postponement and if the answers are what they are rumoured to be then a postponement is astonishing.

If any team has not adhered to the guidance to the best of their ability and brought these cases upon themselves then how is it reasonable to expect games to be postponed when numerous teams have competed without players throughout this and lastt year's championships?

What guidance are you talking about? By all accounts Tyrone have followed the guidance to the letter all year, and didn't return to training until permitted by the GAA, in contrast to at least one but probably more of the teams remaining in the championship.

Regarding any post Ulster final celebrations - if these occurred then it obviously wasn't the wisest course of action but I don't see how they could be held against Tyrone by Croke Park in this instance. The pubs are open, if lads want to go out for a few drinks after winning a provincial championship, who is to stop them if they aren't displaying symptoms, aren't a close contact and haven't tested positive.

They should be grateful to Croke Park in granting them the extra week. If lads went out after the Ulster final to celebrate then that's their own business but they have to accept there is a risk involved and accept the consequences of contracting Covid. Being involved with an elite level sports team they will be well aware of the protocols and the risk at this stage. I'm sure all of the remaining county sides left in the championship have been on their guard for weeks now. To my knowledge there has been no other sports team who have had such a high number of positive cases at the same time which does raise questions of it's own.   

tyrone08

Quote from: yellowcard on August 12, 2021, 09:27:49 AM
Quote from: bigpackiechestout on August 11, 2021, 05:26:53 PM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 11, 2021, 05:17:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 03:07:51 PM
Lol. I've nothing against Tyrone. I'll be fully cheering them on against Kerry.

But their handling of this particular situation is rotten to the core, especially in the face of being granted a postponement by HQ.

Fair play to Tyrone - this is a carefully constructed and managed campaign. I can't blame them for their approach and given the lack of leadership / backbone in Croke Park in recent years I will be surprised if it's not successful.

The public sidestepping to avoid asking obvious questions on this issue are obvious. For example... how have so many players from one squad been affected if they were following protocols around travel, changing, meetings, etc.

Also, what impact have the post Ulster final celebrations had on these infections?

If I were the GAA I would have wanted full disclosure on all of that before granting the one week postponement and if the answers are what they are rumoured to be then a postponement is astonishing.

If any team has not adhered to the guidance to the best of their ability and brought these cases upon themselves then how is it reasonable to expect games to be postponed when numerous teams have competed without players throughout this and lastt year's championships?

What guidance are you talking about? By all accounts Tyrone have followed the guidance to the letter all year, and didn't return to training until permitted by the GAA, in contrast to at least one but probably more of the teams remaining in the championship.

Regarding any post Ulster final celebrations - if these occurred then it obviously wasn't the wisest course of action but I don't see how they could be held against Tyrone by Croke Park in this instance. The pubs are open, if lads want to go out for a few drinks after winning a provincial championship, who is to stop them if they aren't displaying symptoms, aren't a close contact and haven't tested positive.

They should be grateful to Croke Park in granting them the extra week. If lads went out after the Ulster final to celebrate then that's their own business but they have to accept there is a risk involved and accept the consequences of contracting Covid. Being involved with an elite level sports team they will be well aware of the protocols and the risk at this stage. I'm sure all of the remaining county sides left in the championship have been on their guard for weeks now. To my knowledge there has been no other sports team who have had such a high number of positive cases at the same time which does raise questions of it's own.

Think the issue may be that winning ulster actually matters to the Northern teams as its difficult to win. Kerry mayo and Dublin are all expected year on year to win bar a few upsets now and again.

Louther

Quote from: TheGreatest on August 12, 2021, 09:54:24 AM
https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1425720201270775819

The GPA are a sham of an organisation at this stage. Like one of those Gov schemes that was set up for a valid reason at point in time, serves its purpose but no one remembered to close it down and it still exists.

They got shamed into releasing a statement when the likes of Kieran Donaghy asked where they were and released one that said absolutely nothing. They haven't a decision in them and just want to run leadership seminars on repeat. Answer to no one and as proactive as a sloth.

thewobbler

The GPA are a sham of an organisation no doubt.

But the reality of this situation is that three-quarters of the GPA members involved in the semi finals are somewhat negatively affected by any postponement, and thoroughly negatively affected by any ongoing postponement.

It's not actually in their interests to throw their weight behind Tyrone on this one.

Mayo4Sam14

You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

RedHand88

Waffle. Says player welfare is the number one priority then is afraid of outright backing a postponement. What have we really learnt from that statement? I can't think of anything.

RedHand88

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on August 12, 2021, 10:58:18 AM

What's does 50% of players mean? Starting 15? Matchday 26? Extended panel (~40)? All footballers in Tyrone?

Theres about 20, which is actually more than half of the 32-35 Tom parsons mentioned is in a typical squad. Think Tyrone have about 40 training.
Alot of the 20 are big players. Regular starters.

Rossfan

How come Dublin, Rhubarbs, Kerry, Ros u20, Offaly u20, Sligo Minor,Meath Minor, Cork Minor haven't got half their panels down with Covid?
Are Tyrone people more susceptible to viruses?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Armagh18

Quote from: Sportacus on August 11, 2021, 04:03:58 PM
If Tyrone stuck to the guidelines and have been unlucky with Covid then I have every sympathy with them and hope the GAA can do all possible to accommodate them.
If Tyrone players ignored the rules and did something stupid which let Covid rip through their personnel then I don't have any sympathy at all.
Do we know?  If Tyrone have clarified all that then I stand corrected.
Tyrone are hardly gonna come out and say alright hands up we broke all the rules but give us a postponement are they?

JoG2

Quote from: Rossfan on August 12, 2021, 11:07:23 AM
How come Dublin, Rhubarbs, Kerry, Ros u20, Offaly u20, Sligo Minor,Meath Minor, Cork Minor haven't got half their panels down with Covid?
Are Tyrone people more susceptible to viruses?

Are these squads being tested?

LCohen

Quote from: Armagh18 on August 12, 2021, 11:08:06 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on August 11, 2021, 04:03:58 PM
If Tyrone stuck to the guidelines and have been unlucky with Covid then I have every sympathy with them and hope the GAA can do all possible to accommodate them.
If Tyrone players ignored the rules and did something stupid which let Covid rip through their personnel then I don't have any sympathy at all.
Do we know?  If Tyrone have clarified all that then I stand corrected.
Tyrone are hardly gonna come out and say alright hands up we broke all the rules but give us a postponement are they?

It's seems logical that if Tyrone are asking for a dispensation that impacts on other teams and a competition then the GAA should be asking questions as to how the situation came about. You would imagine any variance form protocols or element of self inflicted harm isn't going to do Tyrone any favours.

Personally I am all for players going to the pub after winning a provincial championship but the specific context here is important. Heading to the pub, as a group when you know Covid is a live issue in the group is a very different proposition than the normal heading to the pub. That context cannot just be wished away.

thewobbler

Ah f**k the pub bashing has started again.

That solitary night in the pub must look at those dozens of meetings in changing rooms, video rooms and gyms, and think "there is none so blind as those who will not see".