Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

DuffleKing

Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 03:07:51 PM
Lol. I've nothing against Tyrone. I'll be fully cheering them on against Kerry.

But their handling of this particular situation is rotten to the core, especially in the face of being granted a postponement by HQ.

Fair play to Tyrone - this is a carefully constructed and managed campaign. I can't blame them for their approach and given the lack of leadership / backbone in Croke Park in recent years I will be surprised if it's not successful.

The public sidestepping to avoid asking obvious questions on this issue are obvious. For example... how have so many players from one squad been affected if they were following protocols around travel, changing, meetings, etc.

Also, what impact have the post Ulster final celebrations had on these infections?

If I were the GAA I would have wanted full disclosure on all of that before granting the one week postponement and if the answers are what they are rumoured to be then a postponement is astonishing.

If any team has not adhered to the guidance to the best of their ability and brought these cases upon themselves then how is it reasonable to expect games to be postponed when numerous teams have competed without players throughout this and lastt year's championships?

bigpackiechestout

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 11, 2021, 05:17:14 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 03:07:51 PM
Lol. I've nothing against Tyrone. I'll be fully cheering them on against Kerry.

But their handling of this particular situation is rotten to the core, especially in the face of being granted a postponement by HQ.

Fair play to Tyrone - this is a carefully constructed and managed campaign. I can't blame them for their approach and given the lack of leadership / backbone in Croke Park in recent years I will be surprised if it's not successful.

The public sidestepping to avoid asking obvious questions on this issue are obvious. For example... how have so many players from one squad been affected if they were following protocols around travel, changing, meetings, etc.

Also, what impact have the post Ulster final celebrations had on these infections?

If I were the GAA I would have wanted full disclosure on all of that before granting the one week postponement and if the answers are what they are rumoured to be then a postponement is astonishing.

If any team has not adhered to the guidance to the best of their ability and brought these cases upon themselves then how is it reasonable to expect games to be postponed when numerous teams have competed without players throughout this and lastt year's championships?

What guidance are you talking about? By all accounts Tyrone have followed the guidance to the letter all year, and didn't return to training until permitted by the GAA, in contrast to at least one but probably more of the teams remaining in the championship.

Regarding any post Ulster final celebrations - if these occurred then it obviously wasn't the wisest course of action but I don't see how they could be held against Tyrone by Croke Park in this instance. The pubs are open, if lads want to go out for a few drinks after winning a provincial championship, who is to stop them if they aren't displaying symptoms, aren't a close contact and haven't tested positive.

BennyHarp

Statement by the GPA

The Gaelic Players Association have been, and continue to be, in ongoing contact with the Tyrone Senior Football Squad through their GPA rep since the issues surrounding positive Covid-19 cases arose.  Their health and wellbeing is our primary concern.  We are also in contact with the Tyrone Senior Football Management and share their player welfare concerns.

It's important to note that players will always feel a deep sense of responsibility to play the game, represent their county and supporters, and will no doubt want to fulfil the All-Ireland semi-final fixture. However, it is imperative that their health and wellbeing is the priority in this situation.  As such, we have offered support to the Tyrone squad through our comprehensive health screening.

We will consult closely with the GAA to ensure adequate time is allowed to assess the welfare of players before a decision can be made by Tyrone.

Above all we ask for respect to be shown to the amateur status of the players and that we are all mindful of the four teams who remain in the competition.

Players will always want to play, but their welfare must come first in any decision made.

Tom Parsons,

GPA CEO
That was never a square ball!!

LCohen

Player Welfare is entirely in the hands of Tyrone

tyrone08

Quote from: LCohen on August 11, 2021, 07:25:19 PM

Not really. Gaa are forcing tyrone to play a match where 20 of their players will not have been allowed to train or get their fitness levels up before an ll ireland semi final. Player welfare is in the hands of the gaa as they have decided that tyrone must play on this date and time knowing that they are risking those players

CK_Redhand

Where was the GPA statement when Fermanagh and Sligo were in bother?

Nanderson

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 11, 2021, 07:40:53 PM

Not really. Gaa are forcing tyrone to play a match where 20 of their players will not have been allowed to train or get their fitness levels up before an ll ireland semi final. Player welfare is in the hands of the gaa as they have decided that tyrone must play on this date and time knowing that they are risking those players
Are the GAA forcing them? They don't have to play the game if they are that concerned about player welfare

tyrone08

Quote from: Nanderson on August 11, 2021, 07:59:03 PM

Are the GAA forcing them? They don't have to play the game if they are that concerned about player welfare

Which is literally what they said they have to might do. Alternatively tyrone can say nothing field their best team who may or may not be covid positive and potential infect the  kerry players. If teams know they are being punished for being honest they may not be so honest in future

Nanderson

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 11, 2021, 08:19:20 PM

Which is literally what they said they have to might do. Alternatively tyrone can say nothing field their best team who may or may not be covid positive and potential infect the  kerry players. If teams know they are being punished for being honest they may not be so honest in future
Thats why I said are the GAA 'forcing' them. The decision lies with tyrone therefore there is no one being forced

DuffleKing

Don't play so...

It's abundantly clear this a commendable ruse to get another week of preparation time. In reality, we know they'll be ready and fielding.

They've been playing every other week for 3 months. So half of them are training individually for 10 days but in reality this is a fine tuning phase and they're gameplan prep might even be better done online.

LCohen

Show me where the GAA are forcing Tyrone to play any player with whom they have a welfare concern?

If you can't point to this you might want to rethink your point.

LCohen

Quote from: tyrone08 on August 11, 2021, 08:19:20 PM

I don't think anyone in Tyrone is even considering doing anything as monumentally stupid as that.

trueblue1234

Quote from: DuffleKing on August 11, 2021, 08:42:16 PM

Don't play so...

It's abundantly clear this a commendable ruse to get another week of preparation time. In reality, we know they'll be ready and fielding.

They've been playing every other week for 3 months. So half of them are training individually for 10 days but in reality this is a fine tuning phase and they're gameplan prep might even be better done online.

Without getting into the wider discussion do you honestly believe this? A week- 10 days without collective match tempo training. If you think that's is just fine tuning then I don't know what to say. Whether that should come into the decision making process is another matter but let's not play down the impact of this.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Nanderson

Just seen 2 contradictory interviews

1). "Brian Dooher says just over 50% of the Tyrone panel are able to train fully, less than two weeks out from their All-Ireland SFC semi-final against Kerry."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/58164203

2). With "over half the panel" having tested positive for Covid-19, player welfare has to be the priority, as far as he is concerned. comments from canavan
https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/319253

So which of these is right? I'd assume Doohers

Will it ever end

Get their fitness levels up 😂

I'd be amazed if they were planning any fitness work ahead of the all Ireland semi final.