Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 11:39:30 AM
Quote from: Snapchap on August 11, 2021, 11:34:04 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 10:31:28 AM
There's something really rancid about how Tyrone have approached this in the media.

There's been a pandemic active for 18 months. Anyone with the temerity to throw out the  "player welfare" card after a season of sharing changing rooms, weights rooms, meeting rooms, video rooms,  needs a good f**king kick in the hole.

When groups behave like this, either they've a childlike belief in fairy stories "ah we won't catch it, sure we are the good guys", or they've made a premeditated decision that they will get preferential treatment if something does happen.

Either way, they have no right to use the player welfare card. None.

Player welfare isn't a "card" being played. The management have a responsibility to be conscious of the long-term health of their players. If you are suggesting they broke covid rules, come out and say so (with the proof, obviously). If not, then cop yourself on.

I'm not suggesting they broke the rules.

I'm telling anyone who'll listen that teams who have been meeting up regularly indoors during the pandemic - even if they've been given permission to - need to have a good f**king look at themselves.
So teams need to have a good look at themselves even if they followed the covid rules? Come on...

LCohen

Quote from: redhandofgod on August 11, 2021, 11:52:30 AM
U20 Hurling final postponed for 10 days after 1 player tested positive, rest deemed close contacts, Tyrone have half the squad testing positive and game only moved 6 days.

The difference may be explicable. The schedule for 1 may have allowed for a longer deferral than the other. The use of midweek alternatives may be more acceptable to participants, officials, fans and broadcasters etc for one but not for the other.

redhandofgod

Quote from: LCohen on August 11, 2021, 12:19:45 PM
U20 Hurling final postponed for 10 days after 1 player tested positive, rest deemed close contacts, Tyrone have half the squad testing positive and game only moved 6 days.

The difference may be explicable. The schedule for 1 may have allowed for a longer deferral than the other. The use of midweek alternatives may be more acceptable to participants, officials, fans and broadcasters etc for one but not for the other.

It may, but surely the players SHOULD be the most important factor in all this.

LCohen

Surely the player welfare issue rests with Tyrone and the competition rules and integrity rests with the GAA?

If Tyrone have concerns over the impact of playing and training then they will work around that and player welfare concerns will be paramount?
The GAA have to consider what flexibility is available and use that flexibility equitably.

A few clear statements form the respective parties would help.
Tyrone could give a clear statement of the number of squad members with positive tests, the number of those that are symptomatic and the dates of the positive tests. No need to release player names.
Similarly the number of those self isolating as close contacts and the confirmation that there is an ongoing testing programme so that these guys can be released ASAP.
They could also make a clear statement of what steps they took when the first positive results came through.

The GAA should make a clear statement as to what is the latest date the game can be played (and why).
If the original deferral was the maximum possible deferral then they should make it clear that the original deferral granted to Tyrone would not be available to Kerry should they find themselves in the same situation.

The absence of clear statements reflects badly on each.

LCohen

Quote from: redhandofgod on August 11, 2021, 12:24:52 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 11, 2021, 12:19:45 PM

It may, but surely the players SHOULD be the most important factor in all this.

Yeah. But with some context as to the other factors. I don't think any would argue that the game should be deferred indefinitely so everyone accepts there are limitations

Dire Ear

Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 11:37:43 AM
Quote from: nrico2006 on August 11, 2021, 11:17:23 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on August 11, 2021, 10:31:28 AM
There's something really rancid about how Tyrone have approached this in the media.

There's been a pandemic active for 18 months. Anyone with the temerity to throw out the  "player welfare" card after a season of sharing changing rooms, weights rooms, meeting rooms, video rooms,  needs a good f**king kick in the hole.

When groups behave like this, either they've a childlike belief in fairy stories "ah we won't catch it, sure we are the good guys", or they've made a premeditated decision that they will get preferential treatment if something does happen.

Either way, they have no right to use the player welfare card. None.

Of course they have a right to use the player welfare card.  At any point previous within the pandemic, there was no outbreaks within the squad - there is an outbreak now and forcing the players to play when potentially not fully recovered is a risk to their health.

As for them being audacious in highlighting concerns over the players welfare, the sharing of changing rooms, weights rooms etc. is what is required to play the game and I'm sure there were measures put in place to reduce the risk of transmission.  These activities commenced once the GAA re-started competitions last season and I'm sure Tyrone, along with the other counties, followed the guidelines provided as to how to facilitate training sessions, meetings etc.

I really don't think you're grasping what this approach leads to.

If we get to the point that teams can emotionally blackmail administrators, by pulling out the player welfare card when they don't get the perfect outcome, then we should shut the sport down. As it won't be played anyway.

Croke Park was extraordinarily generous to Tyrone in moving the tie back 6 days. They didn't have to, and it sets them a dangerous precedent which will, over the next few months almost certainly culminate in DRA hearings for club championship ejections.

Tyrone should have thanked their blessings.

But no. Let's not do that. Let's try for the emotional highground instead and try to bully the association into presenting a perfect path.

It's vile.
Vilest thing here is your attitude towards Tyrone,  very sad in fact..

thewobbler

Lol. I've nothing against Tyrone. I'll be fully cheering them on against Kerry.

But their handling of this particular situation is rotten to the core, especially in the face of being granted a postponement by HQ.

Sportacus

If Tyrone stuck to the guidelines and have been unlucky with Covid then I have every sympathy with them and hope the GAA can do all possible to accommodate them.
If Tyrone players ignored the rules and did something stupid which let Covid rip through their personnel then I don't have any sympathy at all.
Do we know?  If Tyrone have clarified all that then I stand corrected.

clarshack

Link to buy tickets just landed in my inbox. Could do with the game being moved again lol as I'm away on 21st. Deadline is Monday morning (16th) to buy them.

Dunsilly King

The only reason and i repeat the only reason it has been deferred is money. Croke park and associated CBs are sheading staff like apples falling off a tree. No revenue in year of any note. HQ needs the money. We all need the money to keep the association going. If Tyrone had needed three weeks they would have gotten it, same as Dublin, Kerry & Mayo.

clarshack

Quote from: Dunsilly King on August 11, 2021, 04:13:25 PM
The only reason and i repeat the only reason it has been deferred is money. Croke park and associated CBs are sheading staff like apples falling off a tree. No revenue in year of any note. HQ needs the money. We all need the money to keep the association going. If Tyrone had needed three weeks they would have gotten it, same as Dublin, Kerry & Mayo.

No doubt about it, if this happened Tyrone in the run up to the Cavan first round game, we would have been booted out as there was nowhere near the same amount of money at stake.

Wildweasel74

I haven't read through previous messages but given they are in a group setting, how many of the team are actually vaccinated. Any? In that case, are any of the other teams with the 20 age group get bothered to get vacinated, ie, Dublin, Mayo, Kerry.?

omagh_gael

Jesus thewobbler, "rotten to the core?" Any chance of upping the hyperbole a notch or two more????

On a side note, just bought my tickets for the game there.

armaghniac

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 11, 2021, 04:40:40 PM
I haven't read through previous messages but given they are in a group setting, how many of the team are actually vaccinated. Any? In that case, are any of the other teams with the 20 age group get bothered to get vacinated, ie, Dublin, Mayo, Kerry.?

Tyrone could have been vaccinated a couple of weeks earlier than 26 county teams, they (or any 6 county team) have less excuse.
Given the implications of an outbreak in a team, I would have thought any serious team would have everyone jabbed on the first day possible. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Wildweasel74

Besides over on the Non gaa page, they be a number of posters (maybe non vac-ers) saying Covid no big deal or doesn't exist.