Started by RedHand88, July 31, 2021, 05:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who will win?

Tyrone by 1-3
Tyrone by 4+
Kerry by 1-3
Kerry by 4+

yellowcard

How many Tyrone forwards would get into this current Kerry side? I don't think any would and that is their main problem, they simply don't have the firepower to get the scores necessary. Dooher and Logan will know this and I predict that they will try and turn this game into an arm wrestle which is their only chance of causing an upset. Manic aggressive defending and hope to contain and frustrate the Kerry attack as much as possible. A bit like 2003 levels of aggression if you like. I don't think they will win by playing this way either, they simply don't have the personnel to do it but it is their only option to try and take the game down to the last 10 minutes. If they get into a man against man shootout there is only going to be one winner.

trueblue1234

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2021, 12:46:21 PM
How many Tyrone forwards would get into this current Kerry side? I don't think any would and that is their main problem, they simply don't have the firepower to get the scores necessary. Dooher and Logan will know this and I predict that they will try and turn this game into an arm wrestle which is their only chance of causing an upset. Manic aggressive defending and hope to contain and frustrate the Kerry attack as much as possible. A bit like 2003 levels of aggression if you like. I don't think they will win by playing this way either, they simply don't have the personnel to do it but it is their only option to try and take the game down to the last 10 minutes. If they get into a man against man shootout there is only going to be one winner.

McCurry without a doubt gets on in current form. One of the top 3 forwards this year in the championship. Donnelly most likely as well.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tiempo

I get this but I don't at the same time. Tyrone 03 semi should have been a template for Tyrone going forward in terms of intensity but it never emerged. By the time Mickey was getting beat by Mayo and Kerry in semi's in the mid noughties Tyrone were noticeably flat for long periods in eminently winnable huge games. It was lack of aggression that shafted Monaghan in the first half last week, they were shadowing players that you can't afford to give an inch to. Tyrone do need to replicate 03 mania but should also be asking themselves where is this game on game, if they can gather up that level of hunger consistently they'll evolve to a level they aren't at, the league game in Kerry this year proved they aren't there yet, early days with the new management ticket, but a big opportunity to answer the questions posed in Tralee a few months ago.

Redhand Santa

Yeah very harsh on the Tyrone forward line. If they get decent possession they'll cause Kerry plenty of problems. I don't think this will be anywhere near as one sided as suggested.

yellowcard

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 03, 2021, 01:03:12 PM

McCurry without a doubt gets on in current form. One of the top 3 forwards this year in the championship. Donnelly most likely as well.

McCurry has raw ability, no doubt, but I am not totally convinced by him in the big games at the highest level although he is Tyrone's biggest scoring threat. A 2019 Cathal McShane or a fit Darragh Canavan would make a huge difference to their forward line but Dooher and Logan can only deal with the hand that they've been dealt with. Mattie Donnelly has had 2 good halves of football in each of the last 2 games and has been a fantastic footballer for a decade or so now but whether he is still at the same level of a few years back, I'm not sure.

This Kerry forward line is dynamite and they have another 3 on the bench ready to come on in the last quarter as well.     

yellowcard

Quote from: tiempo on August 03, 2021, 01:04:13 PM

I get this but I don't at the same time. Tyrone 03 semi should have been a template for Tyrone going forward in terms of intensity but it never emerged. By the time Mickey was getting beat by Mayo and Kerry in semi's in the mid noughties Tyrone were noticeably flat for long periods in eminently winnable huge games. It was lack of aggression that shafted Monaghan in the first half last week, they were shadowing players that you can't afford to give an inch to. Tyrone do need to replicate 03 mania but should also be asking themselves where is this game on game, if they can gather up that level of hunger consistently they'll evolve to a level they aren't at, the league game in Kerry this year proved they aren't there yet, early days with the new management ticket, but a big opportunity to answer the questions posed in Tralee a few months ago.

I'm just not sure that those levels of physical aggression and intensity can be successfully instilled into a team in 2 weeks. As time wore on Mickey Harte sides did become more about marking zonal and filtering bodies back behind the ball. There was very little physical engagement with the opponent outside of their own 45m line. A lot of players are now pre programmed to play this way so much so that it is very difficult to 'uncoach' it back out of them. Tyrone have cloned these types of ball carrying transition players for years now at the expense of more forward thinking creative players.

trueblue1234

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2021, 01:22:45 PM

McCurry has raw ability, no doubt, but I am not totally convinced by him in the big games at the highest level although he is Tyrone's biggest scoring threat. A 2019 Cathal McShane or a fit Darragh Canavan would make a huge difference to their forward line but Dooher and Logan can only deal with the hand that they've been dealt with. Mattie Donnelly has had 2 good halves of football in each of the last 2 games and has been a fantastic footballer for a decade or so now but whether he is still at the same level of a few years back, I'm not sure.

This Kerry forward line is dynamite and they have another 3 on the bench ready to come on in the last quarter as well.     
I'm just going on this year. McCurry starts, for me no questions. I'd also have Mattie in there as well. Depending on what you want the forwards to do cases could be made for others. Tyrone won't play with 6 sharp shooters. They have players like Meyler, McGeary who will turn over ball. It's not just scoring. I'm leaving McShand out of it as current form he's not going to displace anyone.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

RedHand88

Armagh18

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 03, 2021, 02:04:51 PM
Tyrone are 5/1. Surely worth a punt?
Yeah absolutely. And if anyone isn't sure how the odds work, if you bet £20 you lose £20 ;).

In all seriousness, Tyrone will be closer than a lot are saying but think Kerry are a level above and only complacency will stop them winning this. Free hit for Tyrone though.

naka

Quote from: RedHand88 on August 03, 2021, 02:04:51 PM
Tyrone are 5/1. Surely worth a punt?
go for it.
think Kerry will pull away in the second half, but a decent season for tyrone

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on August 03, 2021, 01:30:17 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2021, 01:22:45 PM

I'm just going on this year. McCurry starts, for me no questions. I'd also have Mattie in there as well. Depending on what you want the forwards to do cases could be made for others. Tyrone won't play with 6 sharp shooters. They have players like Meyler, McGeary who will turn over ball. It's not just scoring. I'm leaving McShand out of it as current form he's not going to displace anyone.

I think McCurry will get an All Star.

tiempo

Pub Bore

tiempo

Quote from: yellowcard on August 03, 2021, 01:29:50 PM
Quote from: tiempo on August 03, 2021, 01:04:13 PM

I'm just not sure that those levels of physical aggression and intensity can be successfully instilled into a team in 2 weeks. As time wore on Mickey Harte sides did become more about marking zonal and filtering bodies back behind the ball. There was very little physical engagement with the opponent outside of their own 45m line. A lot of players are now pre programmed to play this way so much so that it is very difficult to 'uncoach' it back out of them. Tyrone have cloned these types of ball carrying transition players for years now at the expense of more forward thinking creative players.

Agree largely, the base character of all lads at the top level would be self motivated driven men, its really whether the stars line up or not on the day, can the players reach a crescendo in terms of desire and performance, and a whole lot depends on selection and gameplan decided by the management.

As Mickey used to say there's no point talking about who wins if both teams go out and play to their potential, that never happens bar perhaps the occasional classic game, both Tyrone and Kerry will be trying to nullify and stifle each other as well as cut loose, inevitably one will perform slightly better on the day take control for a larger portion than the other and win, and this is a very winnable game.