Started by Baile Brigín 2, March 01, 2021, 02:47:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: Eire90 on October 21, 2021, 03:37:06 PM

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h
One amendment I'd like for Proposal B. Top 6 in D1 remain involved rather than 5. If you avoid traditional relegation spots in top tier your season should continue. Add in fourth in D2 and have four preliminary qfs. Basically 12 teams advance to knockouts rather than 10.  #GAA

He's going in the right direction, but...

The top four teams in Division 2 means 2 teams progressing that weren't even able to get out of Division 2.  But, the two teams that were relegated from Division 1, who have played against top class opposition all year, are ruled out.  Usually one team in Division 1 is hopeless, but another might get relegated by the skin of their teeth.  Fourth place in Division 2 is just 2 places off relegation.  In 2016 Fermanagh were 4th in Division 2 on 6 points.  The same year Armagh were relegated on 6 points. 

My point is that finishing 7th in Division 1 may (not always) be a much better performance than finishing 3rd or 4th against weaker opposition in Division 2. 

tiempo

Quote from: APM on October 21, 2021, 04:01:11 PM

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h
One amendment I'd like for Proposal B. Top 6 in D1 remain involved rather than 5. If you avoid traditional relegation spots in top tier your season should continue. Add in fourth in D2 and have four preliminary qfs. Basically 12 teams advance to knockouts rather than 10.  #GAA

The top four teams in Division 2 means 2 teams progressing that weren't even able to get out of Division 2.  But, the two teams that were relegated from Division 1, who have played against top class opposition all year, are ruled out.  Usually one team in Division 1 is hopeless, but another might get relegated by the skin of their teeth.  Fourth place in Division 2 is just 2 places off relegation.  In 2016 Fermanagh were 4th in Division 2 on 6 points.  The same year Armagh were relegated on 6 points. 

My point is that finishing 7th in Division 1 may (not always) be a much better performance than finishing 3rd or 4th against weaker opposition in Division 2.

You're right, but I'll argue the toss anyway

Relegation = demotion to Grade 2

The only departure I would like is that Provincial winners should be in the race for Sam, so if you win the Province and finish bottom of D1 then you're relegated to D2 for the following year but in the Sam

If you win the Sam, you're still in D2

Could the imbalance between having 3 or 4 home games be sorted by having a Divisional weekend in Croke

3 home, 3 away, 1 in Croke

4 Div 4 games in Croke one Saturday
4 Div 3 games in Croke the next
4 Div 2 the next
4 Div 1 the next

or something like that, thinking from a marketing and player experience point of view it could work quite well

What kind of numbers would a quadruple header Super Saturday draw per division do you reckon?

Of course it could be split across 2 days, say the Fri/Sat, but feck that, any opportunity to get close to a full house should be explored

Instead of Super 8 your Super Saturday is then getting to a place where players are being treated with a lot more parity of esteem and respect for their efforts

Stall the Bailer

One of the best things about championship is the straight knockout. Proposal B means only 10 teams get to enjoy this. This is not enough. Some teams will get a go in the tier two comp, but the remaining teams will not. All teams should have a knockout chance either for Sam Maguire or the tier two comp. League format will benefit the Counties with a big panel with strength in depth. Mid tier counties who could cause an upset won't get the chance in a one off. Sorry it is a pure effort of an improvement

APM

Quote from: tiempo on October 21, 2021, 04:13:23 PM

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h

The only departure I would like is that Provincial winners should be in the race for Sam, so if you win the Province and finish bottom of D1 then you're relegated to D2 for the following year but in the Sam

Could the imbalance between having 3 or 4 home games be sorted by having a Divisional weekend in Croke

4 Div 2 the next
4 Div 1 the next

or something like that, thinking from a marketing and player experience point of view it could work quite well

What kind of numbers would a quadruple header Super Saturday draw per division do you reckon?

Of course it could be split across 2 days, say the Fri/Sat, but feck that, any opportunity to get close to a full house should be explored

Instead of Super 8 your Super Saturday is then getting to a place where players are being treated with a lot more parity of esteem and respect for their efforts

Now you're talking!

I could get on board with that.  Ps. on the provincial issue, for those that complain about Kerry and Dublin getting away with a couple of easy games to get into the AIQF; let's face it, 9 years out of 10 they will both be in the top 6 in Division 1. In fact 2008 was the only year in the last 20 that Dublin & Kerry weren't in Division 1.

sid waddell

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2021, 03:09:51 PM
Sid you're (somewhat deliberately) confusing my preferred approach if given a blank canvas, and what I would strongly believe is the best of the only 3 approaches that are currently on the table.

Change isn't always a good thing. But the choice we are facing is one of change or one of stagnation. The provincial championship concept is stagnant. Voting to remove them from the AI championship opens up potential for refinement. Retaining them closes the door.

Benny, this has no parallel with the complex, life or death decisions that brings the worst out of people on social media. It's not even slightly complicated. If we wish to wed our premier competition and to an archaic and convoluted structure, it is a choice to rail against progress.
I haven't confused anything.

You expressed the view that all eight teams in Division 1 to qualify (which incidentally would render the entire league stage all but meaningless).

Now you're expressing the view that any team outside the top four in Division 1 should not qualify, and forcefully arguing for this premise.

"Change" is not an argument. You have to make a case for why change is good.

This debate has been running for at least a month now, and to me the case against change is far more convincing.

The promised upsides seem utterly fanciful, and the very large potential downsides seem obvious.

APM

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on October 21, 2021, 04:47:43 PM
One of the best things about championship is the straight knockout. Proposal B means only 10 teams get to enjoy this. This is not enough. Some teams will get a go in the tier two comp, but the remaining teams will not. All teams should have a knockout chance either for Sam Maguire or the tier two comp. League format will benefit the Counties with a big panel with strength in depth. Mid tier counties who could cause an upset won't get the chance in a one off. Sorry it is a pure effort of an improvement

Agree with this also. 

sid waddell

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h

I don't see how he's going in the right direction. Six teams qualifying from an eight team division makes for a largely pointless league stage, even more pointless than it would be under the existing Proposal B.

If you were advocating a league as championship, the best way to do it would be the old Division 1A/1B/2A/2B format.

The top 3 from each Division would qualify automatically for the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

4th in 1A would play off against 4th in 1B for a place in the quarter-finals.

The winner of 2A would play the winner of 2B for a place in the All-Ireland Quarter-Finals (both would be promoted but only one would qualify for the quarter-finals). This would double as your Tailteann Cup final and it would be highly meaningful as it would be a knockout championship game in the race for Sam Maguire.

The remaining two promotion spots would be decided by an English Championship style play-off competition.

The gap between the two Division 1s and the two Division 2s would be more bridgeable.

The provincial championships played pre-season would have an All-Ireland element tagged on with the final on Paddy's Day.

And it would mean you could abolish the split season, introduce defined club windows in May and June, and return the All-Ireland to its rightful place in September.

I could see a decent argument for that.

But not for Proposal B as is, or for any Divisions 1-4 format.

twohands!!!

@BMacAnalyst on Twitter

Thread: GAA Championship Proposals

The past 10 years show a massive disparity in the number of Championship games played by each county.

This graphic shows the number of games various teams had over the last 10 years.
https://twitter.com/BMacAnalyst/status/1450805538472828937/photo/1

15/32 teams have played >50% less games than the Top teams; Mayo & Dublin.

From the graphic we could argue 3 tiers have existed since 2011:
1. Mayo-Kildare
2. Monaghan-Longford
3. Down-London

Proposal B with a league based championship could help fix the imbalances in games played.

This graphic shows a forecast of championship games each county could play in the next 10 years based on current standings.

https://twitter.com/BMacAnalyst/status/1450805542818025478/photo/1

Note: Not a statistical tested model.

The difference in number games played between the Top team (Kerry) and Bottom team (Cork) is approx* 21%.

https://twitter.com/BMacAnalyst/status/1450805549122076680?s=20

It was 69% from 2011-2022.

The worst effected team; Cork could still play 10 more Championship games by 2031 than in the past 10 years.

The current middle tier group: Arm, Mon, Kil, Cork, Gal, Ros, Clare, Meath will be greatest impacted.

However they could play approx* 35-50% more championship games than the past 10 years.

Tailteann Cup could allow the lower ranked teams to play approx 50-75% more championship games than the previous 10 years.

The Top teams could play approx 30% more games.

sid waddell

Quote from: sid waddell on October 21, 2021, 05:15:55 PM

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h

I don't see how he's going in the right direction. Six teams qualifying from an eight team division makes for a largely pointless league stage, even more pointless than it would be under the existing Proposal B.

If you were advocating a league as championship, the best way to do it would be the old Division 1A/1B/2A/2B format.

The top 3 from each Division would qualify automatically for the All-Ireland quarter-finals.

4th in 1A would play off against 4th in 1B for a place in the quarter-finals.

The winner of 2A would play the winner of 2B for a place in the All-Ireland Quarter-Finals (both would be promoted but only one would qualify for the quarter-finals). This would double as your Tailteann Cup final and it would be highly meaningful as it would be a knockout championship game in the race for Sam Maguire.

The remaining two promotion spots would be decided by an English Championship style play-off competition.

The gap between the two Division 1s and the two Division 2s would be more bridgeable.

The provincial championships played pre-season would have an All-Ireland element tagged on with the final on Paddy's Day.

And it would mean you could abolish the split season, introduce defined club windows in May and June, and return the All-Ireland to its rightful place in September.

I could see a decent argument for that.

But not for Proposal B as is, or for any Divisions 1-4 format.

Under this format, here's a sample calendar.

January 9 Provincial Round Robin 1
January 16  Provincial Round Robin 2
January 23 Provincial Round Robin 3
January 30 Provincial Round Robin 4
February 6 Provincial Round Robin 5
February 13 Provincial Semi-Finals
February 20 Provincial Finals
February 27 Blank
March 6 All-Ireland Cup Semi-Finals
March 17 All-Ireland Cup Final
-------
April 10 NFL 1
April 17 NFL 2
April 24 Blank
May 1 Club Championship 1
May 8 Club Championhip 2
May 15 NFL 3
May 22 NFL 4
May 29 NFL 5
June 5 Blank
June 12 Club Championship 3
June 19 Club Championship 4
June 26 NFL 6
July 3 NFL 7
July 10 NFL 8
July 24 All-Ireland Preliminary Quarter-Finals
July 31 All-Ireland Quarter-Finals
August 21 and 28 All-Ireland Football Semi-Finals
September 11 Final

Club championship semi-finals and finals to follow

dublin7

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h

4 Div 2 the next
4 Div 1 the next

While everyone is putting forward theories none of them are up for review in congress. It's either option A,B or stick with what we have. People may not like option b, but it's an improvement on the current system. I can't see why anyone (other than provincial councils) would want to keep the current system as that's what will happen at the weekend if options and b don't get 60% support.

No one is claiming option b is perfect but for those who don't think it should be passed this weekend might suggest why we should keep things as they are. It'll be at least two years of the current broken system if the current proposals aren't passed.

twohands!!!

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 21, 2021, 05:32:56 PM
@BMacAnalyst on Twitter

Thread: GAA Championship Proposals

The past 10 years show a massive disparity in the number of Championship games played by each county.

This graphic shows the number of games various teams had over the last 10 years.
https://twitter.com/BMacAnalyst/status/1450805538472828937/photo/1

15/32 teams have played >50% less games than the Top teams; Mayo & Dublin.

From the graphic we could argue 3 tiers have existed since 2011:
1. Mayo-Kildare
2. Monaghan-Longford
3. Down-London

Proposal B with a league based championship could help fix the imbalances in games played.

This graphic shows a forecast of championship games each county could play in the next 10 years based on current standings.

https://twitter.com/BMacAnalyst/status/1450805542818025478/photo/1

Note: Not a statistical tested model.

The difference in number games played between the Top team (Kerry) and Bottom team (Cork) is approx* 21%.

https://twitter.com/BMacAnalyst/status/1450805549122076680?s=20

It was 69% from 2011-2022.

The worst effected team; Cork could still play 10 more Championship games by 2031 than in the past 10 years.

The current middle tier group: Arm, Mon, Kil, Cork, Gal, Ros, Clare, Meath will be greatest impacted.

However they could play approx* 35-50% more championship games than the past 10 years.

Tailteann Cup could allow the lower ranked teams to play approx 50-75% more championship games than the previous 10 years.

The Top teams could play approx 30% more games.

Based on this there was 1,242 games of senior intercounty played in the last decade and there would 2,708 played under Option B over the next decade.

That's an extra 1,466 games in a decade or 146 games each year.

This is absolutely massive - especially in terms of boosting the number of games for the weaker counties.

Multiple managers have spoken about the lack of games being a massive impediment in terms of developing players.

The number of extra games each county would have in 10 years under this scenario.

London          66
Waterford      60
Carlow           59
Limerick        57
Wexford        57
Wicklow         57
Antrim          56
Louth           56
Sligo            55
Westmeath        55
Fermanagh        53
Leitirm              53
Derry              52
Down               52
Offaly             51
Tipperay           51
Clare                   49
Longford           47
Armagh          43
Kerry         43
Cavan         41
Galway        41
Meath         40
Roscommon      38
Monaghan      35
Cork               34
Laois               34
Donegal      28
Kildare      28
Dublin      25
Mayo              25
Tyrone      25

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on October 21, 2021, 12:07:57 PM
We keep hearing that the Provincial Championships will die if they're not linked as Qualifiers to the AI series .
Doesn't say much for them if they can't stand on their own 2 feet!
The National League had stood on its own feet for over 90 years and indeed in recent years has become the best competition with more relevance to most Counties than Provincials or the AI.

To quote Kevin Mcstay the springtime provincial championships they're not championships so let's stop calling them that. They're the FBD league or Byrne Cup dressed up and that's why they will struggle to stand on their own two feet.

The NFL was seen as our long standing secondary competition the latter stages especially round 7 provided a big interest. It was the main competition that allowed teams to improve and develop, Monaghan would be a prime example from a Div 3 team in 2013 they became established Div 1 team but such improvements are becoming rare now and hence a change of that league format is needed also.

That league format will be retained under proposal B while merging into the championship as it will provide 10 teams in the All Ireland series but it won't be the best 10. A strong argument made that we should revert back to Div 1A 1B,2A 2B groups.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

APM

Quote from: dublin7 on October 21, 2021, 05:55:02 PM

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h

4 Div 2 the next
4 Div 1 the next

While everyone is putting forward theories none of them are up for review in congress. It's either option A,B or stick with what we have. People may not like option b, but it's an improvement on the current system. I can't see why anyone (other than provincial councils) would want to keep the current system as that's what will happen at the weekend if options and b don't get 60% support.

No one is claiming option b is perfect but for those who don't think it should be passed this weekend might suggest why we should keep things as they are. It'll be at least two years of the current broken system if the current proposals aren't passed.

You are saying let's not make perfect the enemy of good.  It's not as if Option B is good.   
No point going from one broken system to a worse system on the basis that change is necessary, anything is better than what we have.  I do not know how on earth these proposals were arrived at, but it will not fix the problems we have and to put this scutter to congress only wastes an opportunity.

twohands!!!

A stat I saw elsewhere on the recent competiveness of the Uster Championship.

In the last 5 years there has been 41 Ulster Championship games - 9 of them have had double-digit winning margins (22%)

These weren't all first round mismatches - 1 of the double-digit winning margins was in a final and another was in a semi-final.

The average winning margin was 6 points and the mean was the same.

dublin7

Quote from: APM on October 21, 2021, 06:08:29 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on October 21, 2021, 05:55:02 PM

Niall McCoy
@McCoyNiall
·
3h

4 Div 2 the next
4 Div 1 the next

You are saying let's not make perfect the enemy of good.  It's not as if Option B is good.   
No point going from one broken system to a worse system on the basis that change is necessary, anything is better than what we have.  I do not know how on earth these proposals were arrived at, but it will not fix the problems we have and to put this scutter to congress only wastes an opportunity.

I think option B while not perfect is a good idea. I also think it's far better than the current system. No one has said the rules can't be amended after this in future to further improve them and no one could become up with a system that would please everyone.