COVID-19 Pandemic Unemployment Payment

Started by From the Bunker, April 08, 2020, 02:07:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

When we are paying back the loan for the €350 that people got for doing nothing for 12 week, Will the people who had to face the day to day earning money (nurses, Doctors, HSE admin, Shop assistants, Postmen, etc) be expected to take up the tab? I would expect they would have less of a tax levy?

gallsman

From the Bunker

No not a Fine Gaeler! Just I've been working the last 2/3/4 weeks. Meanwhile my neighbours have been chilling, binge watching Netflix, sleeping in, resting, keeping comfortably up with Kids homework, tidying around the house.

Meanwhile I've been facing the public every day. Getting the same money and probably getting extra duties to my work.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 02:17:52 PM
No not a Fine Gaeler! Just I've been working the last 2/3/4 weeks. Meanwhile my neighbours have been chilling, binge watching Netflix, sleeping in, resting, keeping comfortably up with Kids homework, tidying around the house.

Meanwhile I've been facing the public every day. Getting the same money and probably getting extra duties to my work.

Its a strange one, though your job will be still there when this is all over, I defo think there should be 'bonuses' for the likes of health care workers who are in the thick of it.

I'd rather be working if I'm being honest, we are doing lots of training and development stuff, logged on at 9 through to 5, but sure I'm going no where and gets me off doing housework!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

gallsman

Have you ever been out of work? Ever claimed the dole? Ever been sick? Ever used a hospital?

They've been "chilling, binge watching Netflix, sleeping in, resting, keeping comfortably up with Kids homework, tidying around the house." because they have been told to do so by their government to best protect public health which, you may not have realised, impacts you. Many of them will not have jobs to go back to when this is all over.

bennydorano

Think it was Home Bargains who said any of their staff who continue to work throughout the Pandemic (without going sick) will get 2 weeks pay as a bonus. That's the only 'bonus' system I can recall hearing about tbh.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: bennydorano on April 08, 2020, 03:05:46 PM
Think it was Home Bargains who said any of their staff who continue to work throughout the Pandemic (without going sick) will get 2 weeks pay as a bonus. That's the only 'bonus' system I can recall hearing about tbh.

Tesco are doing it also I hear, with pregnant workers getting a little extra
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 02:55:07 PM

Have you ever been out of work? Ever claimed the dole? Ever been sick? Ever used a hospital?

They've been "chilling, binge watching Netflix, sleeping in, resting, keeping comfortably up with Kids homework, tidying around the house." because they have been told to do so by their government to best protect public health which, you may not have realised, impacts you. Many of them will not have jobs to go back to when this is all over.

Yes, I've been out of work! Yes, I've claimed the dole! Yes I have been sick and in Hospital. And understand that there has to be a 'down on you luck' and it's great to have backup from the state.

I understand many will not go back to jobs. But a vast majority will. Most Shop assistants are on little more than €350 a week already when they take into a/c costs and taxes for doing a days work. Most would have been far better off if they had the choice to sit and chill and collect their €350. Not to mention the risks they take going to work and can bring back to their family!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 07:11:17 PM

Yes, I've been out of work! Yes, I've claimed the dole! Yes I have been sick and in Hospital. And understand that there has to be a 'down on you luck' and it's great to have backup from the state.

I understand many will not go back to jobs. But a vast majority will. Most Shop assistants are on little more than €350 a week already when they take into a/c costs and taxes for doing a days work. Most would have been far better off if they had the choice to sit and chill and collect their €350. Not to mention the risks they take going to work and can bring back to their family!

Is that 350 take home?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2020, 07:23:51 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 07:11:17 PM

Is that 350 take home?

Yes!

laoislad

I've been at home the last 3 weeks and I can assure you I'm not sleeping in and chilling out watching Netflix all day. Wife is in Veterinary so still working but as I'm self employed my work practically stopped over night.
Looking after 3 small boys all day I tell you what I'd rather be working.
I haven't applied for the €350 as I still have outstanding invoices coming in and am comfortable enough for now,but if I have to apply for it I will and I won't feel embarrassed about it either, all the VAT I've paid to the Revenue over the years I fecking well will take the €350 if I have too.
I think most people at home would rather be out working,  the novelty sure does wear off very quickly
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

From the Bunker

Quote from: laoislad on April 08, 2020, 09:05:41 PM

I've been at home the last 3 weeks and I can assure you I'm not sleeping in and chilling out watching Netflix all day. Wife is in Veterinary so still working but as I'm self employed my work practically stopped over night.
Looking after 3 small boys all day I tell you what I'd rather be working.
I haven't applied for the €350 as I still have outstanding invoices coming in and am comfortable enough for now,but if I have to apply for it I will and I won't feel embarrassed about it either, all the VAT I've paid to the Revenue over the years I fecking well will take the €350 if I have too.
I think most people at home would rather be out working,  the novelty sure does wear off very quickly

This is not about embarrassing people. This is not about begrudging people the €350 to which they are entitled. It's about people who were out of the loop in turn pulling their weight once this is over.

gallsman

That's not what you said in your opening post though, is it? You said you wanted a tax break because you haven't been laid off.

From the Bunker

Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 10:01:53 PM
That's not what you said in your opening post though, is it? You said you wanted a tax break because you haven't been laid off.

Yes that too!

Why not?

What problem do you have with that?

Through default I had no choice but to work in a risky environment.

Do you see us as just people that can be used during all of this and used again after?

As I said I have no problem with people getting the €350. It was in general the right thing to do. Most will return to work rested and recharged with that financial help.

But there has to be a loop in responsibilities!

gallsman

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 08, 2020, 10:15:23 PM
Quote from: gallsman on April 08, 2020, 10:01:53 PM

Yes that too!

Why not?

What problem do you have with that?

Through default I had no choice but to work in a risky environment.

Do you see us as just people that can be used during all of this and used again after?

As I said I have no problem with people getting the €350. It was in general the right thing to do. Most will return to work rested and recharged with that financial help.

But there has to be a loop in responsibilities!

Because I understand how a progressive taxation system works.

The times you've been on the dole and sick in hospital - when can I expect my refund from you? I mean I was working and paying my taxes and you weren't, so what do I get?