China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grounded

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2022, 06:14:28 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2022, 06:07:58 PM
Remember the heady days of 70 percent vaccinated for herd immunity.
Ah well

Yeah, the two shots to freedom (or the one shot with Jansen (or Johnson & Johnson as it was known in Norway)).

Great memories.

We'll be onto our 4th shot soon.

J70

Well, when much of the world, including some western countries, are nowhere near 70% vaccinated, the virus will continue to evolve and evade, infection-wise, existing vaccinations.

Countries are not closed systems.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Seriously though , what happened there, is it because the vaccinations don't stop transmission?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: J70 on January 07, 2022, 06:24:16 PM
Well, when much of the world, including some western countries, are nowhere near 70% vaccinated, the virus will continue to evolve and evade, infection-wise, existing vaccinations.

Doesn't make sense sorry, don't mean to sound rude .If you have 90 percent vaccinated with a few visitors it shouldn't affect overall national immunity, the govt never mentioned worldwide percentages at the start. Happy to be corrected though.

grounded

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2022, 06:28:19 PM

Doesn't make sense sorry, don't mean to sound rude .If you have 90 percent vaccinated with a few visitors it shouldn't affect overall national immunity, the govt never mentioned worldwide percentages at the start. Happy to be corrected though.

I'd guess the other  'Elephant in the room' is the fact that as a zoonotic disease the covid 19 virus will always have a natural animal reservoir.

J70

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 07, 2022, 06:28:19 PM

I've no idea what the Irish government told you. I don't live there.

I'm merely pointing out why 90% vaccinations in Ireland may not have put a lid on the covid outbreak in the country.

Especially with increasingly transmissible variants popping up.

RadioGAAGAA

Unfortunately, the vaccines aren't going to stop it evolving. They'll reduce likelihood of it happening in humans as vaccine prepared immune systems will shut it down quicker.

But, with it being present in animals, its always going to find some corner to hide in.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Remember the heady days of 70 percent vaccnated for herd immunity.
Ah well

Based on the infectiousness of the original version.

Don't let that little detail get in the way of a good soundbite though  ;)
i usse an speelchekor

thebigfella

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on January 07, 2022, 06:58:24 PM
Ah well

What about letting it rip natural herd immunity? Maybe that is still an option  ???

armaghniac

Quote from: thebigfella on January 07, 2022, 07:58:35 PM
Ah well

What about letting it rip natural herd immunity? Maybe that is still an option  ???

Infection doesn't give you permanent immunity any more than vaccination, Keir Starmer has had Covid twice in the last 6 months.
But it does give people long Covid and kills a few people along the way.
The Omicron is ripping in some sections already, if only Omicron stays around then that might reduce things greatly.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Armagh18

Ah well

Ironically that looks like whats gonna happen

RadioGAAGAA

That is what is happening right now and there is no choice in the matter! **If** the numbers I see are reflective of wider community, apart from a few outliers, we'll all have it by end of this month.

Thankfully the version its happening with, and the largely vaccinated population, are reducing hospitalisations to a (so far) manageable number.
i usse an speelchekor

quit yo jibbajabba

GaaGaa as a voice of reason on here whats your outlook overall now. Cautiously optimistic or have we a bit to go yet...

NotedObserver

When will vax passports be done away with?

Armagh18

Quote from: NotedObserver on January 07, 2022, 10:13:35 PM
When will vax passports be done away with?
Be a long while yet if ever i'd say.... Bigger question is when will 2 jabs be considered not vaccinated..