2018 Ulster Club Minor Tournament

Started by bloody mary, December 16, 2018, 05:05:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

I saw bellaghy in the semi though didn't go today. First half that day was as good as you would see from a minor team. I have went to quite a few games in that tournament over the years and never seen a team so well drilled. Minor teams are usually solid with a few good individuals without necessarily playing much in the way of systems but they have a system where everyone knows their part and their midfielder mcshane, ff cassidy and chf could do a lot of damage.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 04:57:22 PM
I saw bellaghy in the semi though didn't go today. First half that day was as good as you would see from a minor team. I have went to quite a few games in that tournament over the years and never seen a team so well drilled. Minor teams are usually solid with a few good individuals without necessarily playing much in the way of systems but they have a system where everyone knows their part and their midfielder mcshane, ff cassidy and chf could do a lot of damage.

Bodes well for Bellaghy at senior then, the Glen team was an excellent outfit but so far it hasn't materialise into senior success but Bellaghy have Ulster tradition..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

I see some boy in the derry thread saying they are average and it is just an unofficial tournament  ;D

I would expect to see them maybe move the coach through with them to senior and bring the specific system etc they play through with them. I would be surprised if in the next few years they aren't pushing on a bit in senior.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 05:57:32 PM
I see some boy in the derry thread saying they are average and it is just an unofficial tournament  ;D

I would expect to see them maybe move the coach through with them to senior and bring the specific system etc they play through with them. I would be surprised if in the next few years they aren't pushing on a bit in senior.

I thought Cassidy was the coach/manager
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Yeah. I could see him moving up to senior too. Not sure if he has managed their seniors before.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 06:19:56 PM
Yeah. I could see him moving up to senior too. Not sure if he has managed their seniors before.

Be a few at Cargin hoping not!

He looks after a few teams, schools camogie minor and  senior!

imtommygunn

Oh yeah i forgot about cargin! I wonder is it his son at ff. He is some operator.

JoG2

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 06:19:56 PM

Is it not an unwritten rule to take money off your own club though? Cassidy has had a dozen or more years on the gravy train, can't see that changing for a while.

bloody mary

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 01, 2019, 06:57:45 PM
Oh yeah i forgot about cargin! I wonder is it his son at ff. He is some operator.

No it's his cousins son
Played at senior this year great potential
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Hoof Hearted

Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

screenexile

Wind up merchants wouldn't put much stock in that . . . in fairness to Bellaghy it's a great achievement for them they would have been close to winning it last year as well only we managed to beat them in a very tight game!

I noted someone comparing it with Glen, Bellaghy's pedigree and the fact that there would be more focus and less distractions in the area may set them apart. Glen's biggest problem which Bellaghy will have as well is having to bring through so many young lads at one time. Slaughtneil were a great example while they had the nucleus of a good senior team they were able to bring through 2-3 lads from Minor teams that were competing with Glen at underage level which gave them a massive headstart.

Derry have a few good teams coming through the next few years hopefully we can get them to play for the county and get a bit of buzz around the county team again!

REDCOL

Who are the best prospects from this Bellaghy team. Reading reports Paul Cassidy and Conleth McShane seem like lads that can go on to play for county

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on January 02, 2019, 03:03:13 PM

Wind up merchants wouldn't put much stock in that . . . in fairness to Bellaghy it's a great achievement for them they would have been close to winning it last year as well only we managed to beat them in a very tight game!

I noted someone comparing it with Glen, Bellaghy's pedigree and the fact that there would be more focus and less distractions in the area may set them apart. Glen's biggest problem which Bellaghy will have as well is having to bring through so many young lads at one time. Slaughtneil were a great example while they had the nucleus of a good senior team they were able to bring through 2-3 lads from Minor teams that were competing with Glen at underage level which gave them a massive headstart.

Derry have a few good teams coming through the next few years hopefully we can get them to play for the county and get a bit of buzz around the county team again!

The reason I mention Glen was their series of wins at this level NEVER materialised at senior as they don't have the pedigree like Bellaghy, bringing a squad of young lads straight on to senior won't help..

we won five in a row at minor and Under 21 but could only bring on bring on 2/3 per year although we could have brought more on based on their skill level but it worked for us. The problem was we lost a lot of good players who were very decent but we'd a winning formula with the squad we had..