Foxcommander

Started by Eamonnca1, October 06, 2017, 12:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on October 06, 2017, 12:26:11 PM
Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2017, 10:59:14 AM
It's an online discussion forum, complete with an ignore function and everything.

Suggestion for both Syrefus and Emaonnica - if you think you could make a better fist of running a free online forum in your spare time, off with ye.

If ye can't bothered with the hassle, sit down and shut the f**k up.

I have already, and can tell you from experience that it is a very easy job to do better than the admin of GAABoard.

This is just a bog standard pre-built forum so I really don't know what you think is actually hard or time consuming because there is literally nothing that is.

Post the link to your forum there?
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

this board is pretty much  a snap shot of the online world in general these days with a rapidly increasing dosage of wums, trolls and an expanding air of nastiness.  I've been around a while, but was it always polluted with so many binlids?

Syferus

Quote from: JoG2 on October 06, 2017, 12:31:49 PM
this board is pretty much  a snap shot of the online world in general these days with a rapidly increasing dosage of wums, trolls and an expanding air of nastiness.  I've been around a while, but was it always polluted with so many binlids?

Even basic moderation would fix most if not all of that. It shows a genuine lack of conscience on the part of the admin that he finds the status quo acceptable.

Gaaboardmod3

Syferus, I'm a mod here. And I can completely agree that I don't spend a lot of time moderating here. I like to post here myself, but I don't have time to go moderating every single thread, or trying to decide whether someone is a WUM, a Troll, or just a genuine contradictorian. I will look at FoxCommanders latest post, as he and several others are on a thin line already and have been told so.

As for the Mickey Harte comment, I'm not sure what you're getting at, but if you think I am from Tyrone, you're off base. Where the bias (if any) comes in is trying to protect people and families of people who might actually read this board. So anyone having a big go at a GAA person will be a lot more likely to provoke action than someone talking about Ryan Giggs. Maybe that's not consistent, but I don't apologise for trying to protect our own. Some people say I don't go far enough.

As for WUMs, Trolls and generally banning people, I'm not in favour of it because one man's trolling is another man's valid opinion. I just try to make sure they don't descend into outright abuse. Quite a lot of people called for your banning, for example, as a troll/WUM. I didn't agree with it, as I felt you hadn't broken any rules and were genuine enough.

It's not always as black and white as you suggest. That being said I have, and other mods have, banned people in the past. And if we need to do it again, we will.

I freely admit I don't moderate every thread and every post. I have a life outside of this board and if that means I'm a bad moderator, so be it. I'm comfortable in trusting people to at least be adult, and when things escalate, then I step in.

One thing I have learned over the years is EVERYONE wants close moderation of those people they disagree with. NOBODY wants to see someone they agree with sanctioned or posts edited.

In short, if everyone was just grown up, you wouldn't need any moderation.

Gaaboardmod3

PS. My absolute favourite is when people post stuff that they know will provoke a response, and then report it when the response is generated. My 4 year old uses the same tactic with her brother !

Syferus

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on October 06, 2017, 12:43:54 PM
Syferus, I'm a mod here. And I can completely agree that I don't spend a lot of time moderating here. I like to post here myself, but I don't have time to go moderating every single thread, or trying to decide whether someone is a WUM, a Troll, or just a genuine contradictorian. I will look at FoxCommanders latest post, as he and several others are on a thin line already and have been told so.

As for the Mickey Harte comment, I'm not sure what you're getting at, but if you think I am from Tyrone, you're off base. Where the bias (if any) comes in is trying to protect people and families of people who might actually read this board. So anyone having a big go at a GAA person will be a lot more likely to provoke action than someone talking about Ryan Giggs. Maybe that's not consistent, but I don't apologise for trying to protect our own. Some people say I don't go far enough.

As for WUMs, Trolls and generally banning people, I'm not in favour of it because one man's trolling is another man's valid opinion. I just try to make sure they don't descend into outright abuse. Quite a lot of people called for your banning, for example, as a troll/WUM. I didn't agree with it, as I felt you hadn't broken any rules and were genuine enough.

It's not always as black and white as you suggest. That being said I have, and other mods have, banned people in the past. And if we need to do it again, we will.

I freely admit I don't moderate every thread and every post. I have a life outside of this board and if that means I'm a bad moderator, so be it. I'm comfortable in trusting people to at least be adult, and when things escalate, then I step in.

One thing I have learned over the years is EVERYONE wants close moderation of those people they disagree with. NOBODY wants to see someone they agree with sanctioned or posts edited.

In short, if everyone was just grown up, you wouldn't need any moderation.

When was that ever the case on the internet? The answer is never.

You either need to moderate the obvious trolls more, or hire people who will. And no, I have no interest in that job. But there are more than a few who would be willing to help out. Not having enough time is no excuse, and that's coming from someone who knows the ins and outs of message board better than most.

punt kick

Quote from: Syferus on October 06, 2017, 12:26:11 PM
Quote from: stephenite on October 06, 2017, 10:59:14 AM
It's an online discussion forum, complete with an ignore function and everything.

Suggestion for both Syrefus and Emaonnica - if you think you could make a better fist of running a free online forum in your spare time, off with ye.

If ye can't bothered with the hassle, sit down and shut the f**k up.

I have already, in fact I've ran or been involved in more than a few. I can tell you from experience that it is a very easy job to do better than the admin of GAABoard.

This is just a bog standard pre-built forum so I really don't know what you think is actually hard or time consuming because there is literally nothing that is. I genuinely could make a far better forum technically speaking in about one hour if I'm being honest, this one is particularly out-dated.

The admin here can't be bothered to put in even the most basic of efforts to police obvious trolls and yet there are actually people foolish enough to think they're doing something hard or note-worthy. They are not.

On you go, and don't let the door hit you on the way out!

Gaaboardmod3

You keep alluding to your vast experience in internet technologies. It's amusing.

Anyhow, I'm not the admin, I'm just a lowly mod. But the time consuming bit is sorting out the squabbles if you want to go into that detail. We used to here, in the years BS, and if you truly do have knowledge of that you would know it is a very time consuming task. Again, people wanted you banned, because you are a WUM.

Imagine that multiplied by about 30 people. You have no idea.

laoislad

I blame ziggysego. Worst Mod ever.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Gaaboardmod3

punt kick

Quote from: Syferus on October 06, 2017, 12:38:59 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on October 06, 2017, 12:31:49 PM

Even basic moderation would fix most if not all of that. It shows a genuine lack of conscience on the part of the admin that he finds the status quo acceptable.

If it is so bad - why are you here, maybe it's because you can post without being moderated?  ;D

magpie seanie

I've been posting here for about 16 years. I think the mods and admin do and have done a tremendous job. I think that's worth stating.

Syferus

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on October 06, 2017, 01:06:30 PM
You keep alluding to your vast experience in internet technologies. It's amusing.

Anyhow, I'm not the admin, I'm just a lowly mod. But the time consuming bit is sorting out the squabbles if you want to go into that detail. We used to here, in the years BS, and if you truly do have knowledge of that you would know it is a very time consuming task. Again, people wanted you banned, because you are a WUM.

I graduated from college with a BSc. in Computer Science, work as a software dev and have used computers since I could walk and have been involved with forums nearly as long (some being very much comparable to this in size, so don't think I don't understand the logistics) - there is no 'alluding' to my experience with technology - it's there in black and white.

But trying to personalise it is just distracting from the real issue - the lack of oversight here. Trying to draw equilvence between people not liking what I say and Foxcommader's blindly obvious status as a dedicated troll account with absolutely no redemptive posts indicating anything other than a desire to cause as much offense as possible is nonsense, to be frank.

There's a difference between a forum with light moderation and one with non-exsistent moderation - this place falls in the later category yet none of what makes it good would be worse if it was in the former. If anyone thinks troll accounts like Foxcommander add anything to the site they are only fooling themselves.

Gaaboardmod3

Quote from: Syferus on October 06, 2017, 01:43:57 PM

I graduated from college with a BSc. in Computer Science, work as a software dev and have used computers since I could walk and have been involved with forums nearly as long (some being very much comparable to this in size, so don’t think I don’t understand the logistics) - there is no ‘alluding’ to my experience with technology - it’s there in black and white.

But trying to personalise it is just distracting from the real issue - the lack of oversight here. Trying to draw equilvence between people not liking what I say and Foxcommader’s blindly obvious status as a dedicated troll account with absolutely no redemptive posts indicating anything other than a desire to cause as much offense as possible is nonsense, to be frank.

There’s a difference between a forum with light moderation and one with non-exsistent moderation - this place falls in the later category yet none of what makes it good would be worse if it was in the former. If anyone thinks troll accounts like Foxcommander add anything to the site they are only fooling themselves.

Well done. So did I. I wasn't trying to 'personalise' it, I was just saying that the 'Technology' of an internet forum is different to the mechanics of actually moderating one, so I wasn't sure why you keep alluding to how well you understand Internet technologies. I wasn't having a go at you or your qualifications in that field.

As for troll accounts, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I can get you any number of posters who would be happy to say that you are a WUM, a Troll, and only post to incite a response. I could show you several reports. I have not acted on any of them because I don't believe you are, I just happen to disagree with a lot of what you say, but I think you are genuine.

With some others, I'm not sure, but again I can guarantee you that if they were banned, you have an equal number of people complaining about the ban. So, on the basis that you can never please everyone, I try to do light touch moderation, and only get involved when things get serious with regards to racist posts, abuse or some sort of needlessly out of order remark about a real person, especially in the GAA.

Apologies if you don't agree with that philosophy, but sure that's life.

Syferus

Quote from: Gaaboardmod3 on October 06, 2017, 01:53:17 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 06, 2017, 01:43:57 PM

I graduated from college with a BSc. in Computer Science, work as a software dev and have used computers since I could walk and have been involved with forums nearly as long (some being very much comparable to this in size, so don't think I don't understand the logistics) - there is no 'alluding' to my experience with technology - it's there in black and white.

But trying to personalise it is just distracting from the real issue - the lack of oversight here. Trying to draw equilvence between people not liking what I say and Foxcommader's blindly obvious status as a dedicated troll account with absolutely no redemptive posts indicating anything other than a desire to cause as much offense as possible is nonsense, to be frank.

There's a difference between a forum with light moderation and one with non-exsistent moderation - this place falls in the later category yet none of what makes it good would be worse if it was in the former. If anyone thinks troll accounts like Foxcommander add anything to the site they are only fooling themselves.

Well done. So did I. I wasn't trying to 'personalise' it, I was just saying that the 'Technology' of an internet forum is different to the mechanics of actually moderating one, so I wasn't sure why you keep alluding to how well you understand Internet technologies. I wasn't having a go at you or your qualifications in that field.

As for troll accounts, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I can get you any number of posters who would be happy to say that you are a WUM, a Troll, and only post to incite a response. I could show you several reports. I have not acted on any of them because I don't believe you are, I just happen to disagree with a lot of what you say, but I think you are genuine.

With some others, I'm not sure, but again I can guarantee you that if they were banned, you have an equal number of people complaining about the ban. So, on the basis that you can never please everyone, I try to do light touch moderation, and only get involved when things get serious with regards to racist posts, abuse or some sort of needlessly out of order remark about a real person, especially in the GAA.

Apologies if you don't agree with that philosophy, but sure that's life.

Do you really think if you banned Foxcommander right now as many people would complain as would be happy? That doesn't show a differering philosophy, that shows a misreading of the situation. Who has the person behind that account even got on the right side of? Maximum offense means minimum attachment. Who are the people who would be outraged if there was less political and social issue baiting on the forum?

Eamonn caught you in a Catch 22 with Foxcommander, because more than any account that's on here it's obvious what it is and what its intent is. The number of times it's went over the line into extreamism and racism is as long as my arm. You can't draw shades of gray where there are none.