Minors 2016

Started by twohands!!!, April 13, 2016, 10:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: Captain Obvious on April 16, 2016, 10:27:51 PM
Quote from: ONeill on April 16, 2016, 09:28:46 PM
What's really going on there? Are Kilkenny purposely not trying or are they genuinely that shite?
Has to be purposely. Even shite teams wouldn't concede that much or go a full game without scoring.

Did lads go out and not try a leg at all on purpose? Cardboard cut-outs would probably do better. What kind of lads were togged at all?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2016, 11:50:37 PM
What's really going on there? Are Kilkenny purposely not trying or are they genuinely that shite?
Has to be purposely. Even shite teams wouldn't concede that much or go a full game without scoring.

Did lads go out and not try a leg at all on purpose? Cardboard cut-outs would probably do better. What kind of lads were togged at all?
Kilkenny must have borrowed Dromintee's team of ringers from a couple of years ago. Absolute waste of time for all concerned.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: moysider on April 16, 2016, 11:50:37 PM

Wexford scored 37 times in a 60-minute match. The KK kickouts must have been dreadful, the defending likewise, did midfield touch the ball, were they even trying?

Rossfan

Let them amalgamate with Carlow for football purposes.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

muppet

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on April 17, 2016, 05:05:17 PM
Embarrassing from Nicky Brennan
http://hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=253691

Very embarrassing.

If they didn't bother with the hurling as well they could have the Taj Mahal of stadiums in Kilkenny.
MWWSI 2017

Syferus

We've got a hurling side in D2 of the national league and a football one in D1. Smaller than Kilkenny and with far less shadowy sponsors bankrolling things. I suppose Nicky Brennan would see that as more the fool us giving the second code its dues. How did that man lead the fûcking GAA.

Donnellys Hollow

It's the same story every year. Kilkenny field a team for one 'match' and then pull out of their backdoor fixture. Drawing them in the first round is a big negative because you can end up facing a team who have built up momentum with three games under their belt in the quarter final and there is no safety net at that stage.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

From the Bunker

Why are people so worried about Kilkenny football. What about poor Leitrim, Waterford, Wicklow, Antrim - to name but a few! Jez you'd swear that they fell from some heights to end up with yesterdays result. Don't you be worrying about Kilkenny, they'll more than likely have a lad up in the Hogan come September.

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 17, 2016, 06:16:43 PM
Why are people so worried about Kilkenny football. What about poor Leitrim, Waterford, Wicklow, Antrim - to name but a few! Jez you'd swear that they fell from some heights to end up with yesterdays result. Don't you be worrying about Kilkenny, they'll more than likely have a lad up in the Hogan come September.

They're making a mockery of the sport pretty much everyone here loves.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on April 17, 2016, 06:17:19 PM

And I suppose counties like Cavan are doing their bit for Hurling? Look Kilkenny don't care it's not in their blood! No more than Hurling is not in 99% of Mayo blood! This did not happen over night. It's just the way it is! Don't worry about it! Believe me Kilkenny don't worry about the state of Hurling in Connacht or Ulster. In fact I'd say they are quiet happy the way it is set up for them to beat a couple of heavy weights each year to win AI Glory.

Jinxy

Quote from: From the Bunker on April 17, 2016, 06:51:37 PM

And I suppose counties like Cavan are doing their bit for Hurling? Look Kilkenny don't care it's not in their blood! No more than Hurling is not in 99% of Mayo blood! This did not happen over night. It's just the way it is! Don't worry about it! Believe me Kilkenny don't worry about the state of Hurling in Connacht or Ulster. In fact I'd say they are quiet happy the way it is set up for them to beat a couple of heavy weights each year to win AI Glory.

One of your best footballers also togs out for the county hurlers.
Imagine TJ Reid turning around to Cody and saying, "I'd love to give the oul football a go Brian... if that's okay with you."
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on April 17, 2016, 08:54:48 PM

Imagine TJ Reid turning around to Cody and saying, "I'd love to give the oul football a go Brian... if that's okay with you."

Ballyhaunis is a hurling first club too. Higgins would have had as much interest in the small ball as the big one growing up.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on April 17, 2016, 09:00:17 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on April 17, 2016, 08:54:48 PM

Ballyhaunis is a hurling first club too. Higgins would have had as much interest in the small ball as the big one growing up.

I don't doubt that Higgins is a good hurler. But the reality is that he is known as a footballer first and there is no choice when it come to who he lines out for come the Summer. There are 4 or 5 clubs in Mayo. Cashel Gaels, Moytura and Ballyvary have had a go at underage. But the hurdles you have to jump to keep a Hurling club going are many. The Biggest hurdle is the Local (Gaa) football club. They will take you on. You are a threat to players as much as Soccer, Rugby or what ever. Mayo bar pockets here and there care little about Hurling. I myself have rarely seen Mayo hurlers in action. Crowds at matches (I'm told) are small.

moysider

Ballina had a decent hurling scene some years ago. The local college won a Con. Colleges Senior at B or C back in the 90s  but there is no hurling there now. I don t think there is an adult hurling team this year in the town.
Some lads that were on the AI winning club football team 10 years ago played mainly hurling as kids. But as has been said it is an awful battle to keep it going.