Team Announcements

Started by Estimator, September 25, 2021, 11:21:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Estimator

Just seen this news story this morning and couldn't see a thread for it, if there is another one, I'll delete this one...

Interesting development by the GAA, some inter county managers definitely won't be happy with them taking control of team announcements like this.

---

The GAA are planning to publicly announce squads on the Fridays before senior championship matches from next year onward.

Counties are currently instructed to provide team sheets to the relevant organising body for match programme purposes no later than 9am on the Thursday before a weekend fixture.

However, several counties communicate their line-ups with the proviso that they are not to be issued to the public until they themselves publish them. When they do, a number don't include their 11 substitutes.

The GAA are to release the team and substitute lists more than 24 hours before the first matches as a means of promoting the games as well as cutting out the possibility of leaks.

It is envisaged the move might prompt counties to announce their line-ups before Friday. The Thursday morning registration, which prevents counties from making 11th-hour changes to their squad unless in an emergency, was voted in at Congress in Páraic Duffy's time as director-general as a way of combatting dummy teams.

Penalties for not providing the 26-man list included the withdrawal of sideline privileges for the manager for one match and a fine of up to €1,000 for the county board.

Forfeiture is the punishment for fielding a player who has not been registered on the list provided to the referee.

The lack of consideration in the rules for late injuries and sickness has been regularly condemned by managers and there have been some instances where less than 26 players have been available as the deadline for personnel changes had passed and injured men have togged out with no intention of being used.

Match regulations state for non senior inter-county championship games the teams are to be issued to the committee in charge for the official programme and media four days before the game although it is rarely respected, while for league games, the home county must receive team selection from the visitors no later than Wednesday prior to the fixture.

For Saturday games, several of the leading counties in both codes make their team disclosures the night previous.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hound

Given the Thursday 9AM rule, then this makes perfect sense.

I'm sure some counties are better than others at finding out the opposition's 26, so this levels the playing field. And gives media a better chance at doing a preview, and such previews promote the games.

It would seem managers still have the opportunity to move the 26 around, just can't bring someone in from outside the 26, which has been the rule for the last few years anyway.

rrhf

Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2021, 10:25:04 AM

I'm sure some counties are better than others at finding out the opposition's 26, so this levels the playing field. And gives media a better chance at doing a preview, and such previews promote the games.

It would seem managers still have the opportunity to move the 26 around, just can't bring someone in from outside the 26, which has been the rule for the last few years anyway.
allow 30.

twohands!!!

Quote from: rrhf on September 27, 2021, 11:24:54 AM
Quote from: Hound on September 27, 2021, 10:25:04 AM

allow 30.

The rules on expenses currently allow for a senior panel of 32 to receive expenses from Croke Park.

At the moment if a county has a panel larger than 32, the individual county board has to cover expenses from those outside the 32.
The expense rules also allow for 9 non players i.e. manager and backroom team.
[There was talk about limiting intercounty panels to just 32 players in total. I wouldn't be surprised if that comes in sooner rather than later.]

I think county boards should have to publish every player on every intercounty panel on the county website.
It's pretty poor behaviour in my opinion for managers to go on about the importance of squad players and then continously publish teams of 15 with no subs.
It's a bit of a thankless job being the 32nd player on an intercounty squad but at least if the full intercounty squad is named for every game the player in question is officially recognised.