County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: seafoid on November 09, 2021, 05:40:59 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on November 08, 2021, 07:23:17 PM
I wouldn't rewrite history because McGuinness did transform Donegal and won an All Ireland that nobody seen coming. I think they were ranked 17th in Ireland or something like that before he took them over.

However his tactics were a blight on the GAA as they filtered their way down through the GAA in every county at every level. You have to admire him for having the vision and the balls to implement that style of play but it was brutal, horrible stuff. The game has moved on a lot since then, however. Adapt or die.

That doesn't mean he would use the same tactics now. He analyses football in the Irish Times and is always a good read.

You may be right in terms of him taking a completely different tactical approach to the game now. But I don't think he can ever come up with anything as innovative again that will help steal such a march on all of the opposition.  His tactics ushered in an era of over coaching and analysis that still continue to this day so any advantage in this area would be a lot more limited now.

rrhf

Mc Guinness and Poacher would definitely get the best out of Down football. Is there much coming through. 

yellowcard

Perhaps there is no smoke without fire but a move back into GAA at this stage makes very little sense from Jim McGuinness point of view. Would he be prepared to cast aside years of soccer education to move back into the GAA without having had any form of tangible success? Its only a few months ago that he was being interviewed for the Dundalk job and as far as I understand it, he is currently in the final stages of completing his UEFA Pro licence after which he can manage professionally himself. So it makes no logical sense to move back into GAA management at this stage never mind to take on with Down. 

Milltown Row2

Ref'd a few challenge games recently and there are a host of pundits managing sides at the minute, would those lads who talk the talk not put themselves forward?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

Quote from: yellowcard on November 09, 2021, 01:03:47 PM
Perhaps there is no smoke without fire but a move back into GAA at this stage makes very little sense from Jim McGuinness point of view. Would he be prepared to cast aside years of soccer education to move back into the GAA without having had any form of tangible success? Its only a few months ago that he was being interviewed for the Dundalk job and as far as I understand it, he is currently in the final stages of completing his UEFA Pro licence after which he can manage professionally himself. So it makes no logical sense to move back into GAA management at this stage never mind to take on with Down.
Don't see why not, another feather in his cap. He's been working on the pro license for a few years and another 1-2 years with down wouldn't do any harm.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 09, 2021, 01:32:25 PM
Ref'd a few challenge games recently and there are a host of pundits managing sides at the minute, would those lads who talk the talk not put themselves forward?

One pundit Kevin McStay is back in management after he said he was retiring in 2018. On Sunday he led Roscommon Gaels to the county minor title, their first since 2010.

twohands!!!

Almost two and a half years since Charlotte fired him.
A record of 1 win in 14 league games is a fairly big albatross to be carrying around when looking for a job in the soocer world especially when the manager who replaced him won 8 of the remaining 20 league games with the same squad. The same team had won 8 out of 16 league games the year before McGuinness arrived.

Recently he has been involved as a coach with the Derry City U19s who won the U19 league about two weeks ago.
He was third in the pecking order there behind the manager and head coach of the U19s.

I can definitely see why a return to GAA would appeal to McGuinness.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Jim Bob

If I were a Down man I'd want malachy O Rourke ...wins wherever he goes. ... not one in a row then fail McGuinness

JoG2

Quote from: Jim Bob on November 11, 2021, 12:01:50 AM
If I were a Down man I'd want malachy O Rourke ...wins wherever he goes. ... not one in a row then fail McGuinness

A couple of Donegal senior club titles, and in 4 years with the County, 3 Ulster's and 1 x All Ireland....most would take that kind of failure.

barnish oggie

Quote from: general_lee on November 09, 2021, 01:57:48 PM
Don't see why not, another feather in his cap. He's been working on the pro license for a few years and another 1-2 years with down wouldn't do any harm.

He would likely have it by now if covid hadn't interrupted his progress.

Think the logic in him moving will come down to what always wins.....money.

rosnarun

no way would Mcguiness risj he 'best manager ever'  reputation by taking on another county job un less it would be a no-lose one like louyh, Leitrim or sligo
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Taylor

James McCartan back with Down.
Has Aidan ORourke for company this time

ck

Quote from: Taylor on November 24, 2021, 01:10:21 PM

Is that not who he had last time too?

I wish them well but McCartan was county minor manager last year and his highly fancied team imploded v Fermanagh. He then gets handed the senior job? Interesting approach.

oakleaflad

Quote from: ck on November 24, 2021, 02:21:12 PM
Quote from: Taylor on November 24, 2021, 01:10:21 PM

Is that not who he had last time too?

I wish them well but McCartan was county minor manager last year and his highly fancied team imploded v Fermanagh. He then gets handed the senior job? Interesting approach.
Only in their own heads though to be fair. The Derry team won that won the All Ireland won all the equivalent Ulster underage tournaments coming through. Down didn't make a final and wouldn't have been seen as their main opposition. They'd one excellent club team but that doesn't necessarily transition to county success.

That being said the move does seem in a bit of a panic as it's getting late at this stage.