Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification

Started by BennyCake, September 09, 2014, 12:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CK_Redhand

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 30, 2021, 09:30:34 PM
Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 30, 2021, 09:20:27 PM
Yeah I rewatched it. It wasn't a break in play. I'm not too sure if I would call it a pull down.

Was he trying to play the ball?
No.
Can a player be black carded for something other than the 5 offences listed above? Genuine question.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 30, 2021, 09:37:11 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 30, 2021, 09:30:34 PM
Yeah I rewatched it. It wasn't a break in play. I'm not too sure if I would call it a pull down.

Was he trying to play the ball?
No.
Can a player be black carded for something other than the 5 offences listed above? Genuine question.

If he wasn't trying to play the ball then what was he doing?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CK_Redhand

Deliberately running down the clock. I think that's obvious.

Can you answer my question? I genuinely want to know if the rules as they are written would allow for such a thing.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 30, 2021, 09:45:03 PM
Deliberately running down the clock. I think that's obvious.

Can you answer my question? I genuinely want to know if the rules as they are written would allow for such a thing.

I will if I can see a clip

Or what minute did it happen, I can check
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JoG2

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 30, 2021, 09:54:26 PM
https://youtu.be/Csriv2l3TJc
1.57.12 into video
ET 20.40 on match clock

Are you serious? He cynically held up the player, anyone who thinks otherwise is blindsided by loyalty

CK_Redhand

Yes he held up the player I don't know if I would call it a pull down though. Read my original post I called it out as an obvious cynical foul but in my opinion it doesn't meet the criteria for a black card as the rules are written.

tyrone08

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on August 30, 2021, 10:07:22 PM
How was it not? He wrapped his arms around him and put him on the ground.

Can't argue with any of the black cards. However there was a clear hand trip in the first half which completely unpunished. That to me was the clearest black card.

hoynevalley

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 28, 2021, 10:43:05 PM
Ben McDonnell black card today. In my opinion it was clearly the most "cynical" of the three incidents that resulted in black cards. I don't remember exactly and can't find a clip but I don't think the player actually performed one of the actions listed which warrants a black card.  I think he lifted a Kerry player off the ground and held him for a few seconds, deliberately holding up play (during a break in play).
https://dunshaughlinandroyalgaels.com/rules-specifications/
(4) The Black Card:

The Black Card: 'Cynical behaviour' includes these infractions:

(i) 'to deliberately body collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away'

(ii) 'to deliberately trip an opponent'

(iii) 'to deliberately pull down an opponent'

(iv) 'to threaten or use abusive language or gestures to an opponent or teammate'

(v) 'to remonstrate in an aggressive manner with a match official'

The penalty for the above fouls is:

Free Kick from where the foul occurred.
Player Ordered Off by showing him a Black Card, Player will now spend 10 minutes off the field.
No substitute allowed, reducing his side's numbers for that period.
Any thoughts?

Cynical but technically only yellow card. I think  ball should be moved 50 metres up the field. Current rules encourage forwards to foul higher up the pitch.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CK_Redhand on August 30, 2021, 10:20:38 PM
Yes he held up the player I don't know if I would call it a pull down though. Read my original post I called it out as an obvious cynical foul but in my opinion it doesn't meet the criteria for a black card as the rules are written.

You're right in that context but there would be no complaints from anyone in any game. Considering the importance and timing it was correct

David McKeown

I think the issue may be that you haven't got the full definition of the rule there. It's rule 5.12 which makes it a black card

To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play.

There's a strong argument that's exactly what he was doing. I'm less convinced about the second black card Tyrone got. I thought the ball and the play were far enough gone that it wasn't a black card.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Seen this the other day, and spoke with others about it also....

Football, keeper kicks the ball out, defender/midfielder catches the ball, the ref as usual blows for the mark and is claimed by catcher, the player then passes the ball back to the keeper.. play on or foul?

general

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 27, 2021, 09:55:56 AM

Football, keeper kicks the ball out, defender/midfielder catches the ball, the ref as usual blows for the mark and is claimed by catcher, the player then passes the ball back to the keeper.. play on or foul?

Foul -

Rule 2.7(a) and (c) applies.
• Kick-out shall be taken from the ground at the centre of 20m line.
• Kick-out cannot be kicked backwards.
• All players to be outside 20m line, 13m from the ball and outside the semi-circle arc.
• Goalkeeper not taking the kick-out shall remain in the small rectangle.
• If the defender is kicking out the ball, the rule does not prevent the ball been played
back to the defender.
• The ball shall not travel less than 13m and outside the 20m before been played by
another member of the defending team.
• The player who directly receives the ball from a kick-out cannot pass the ball back to
the goalkeeper without another person playing it. Free to be taken from where the
Goalkeeper receives the ball.

o "Pass" means all passes, including kick passes (from the hand or the ground)
and hand passes.
o To "Pass the ball directly back to goalkeeper" should be interpreted as cannot
be passed to the goalkeeper, regardless of direction.
o Free is conceded when the Goalkeeper plays the ball.

Hound

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 27, 2021, 09:55:56 AM

My view:

If mark is claimed it's a new play, so next kick is the first phase of a play (for want of a better phrase), not a continuation of the kickout phase, so no foul. Similarly, if keeper kicks the ball out to his 7, but the opposition 12 clearly fouled him before the ball reaches him and ref blows for a free. Then the free kick can be passed back to the keeper.

Whereas if the mark wasn't claimed and midfielder plays on, then it's the same phase of play, so if he then passes to the keeper it would be a foul.