Author Topic: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification  (Read 74435 times)

David McKeown

• View Profile
Re: Gaelic Football - Rules & Regulations discussion/clarification
« Reply #615 on: August 30, 2021, 10:27:35 PM »
I think the issue may be that you haven’t got the full definition of the rule there. It’s rule 5.12 which makes it a black card

To deliberately collide with an opponent after he has played the ball away or for the purpose of taking him out of the movement of play.

There’s a strong argument that’s exactly what he was doing. I’m less convinced about the second black card Tyrone got. I thought the ball and the play were far enough gone that it wasn’t a black card.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: September 27, 2021, 09:55:56 AM »
Seen this the other day, and spoke with others about it also....

Football, keeper kicks the ball out, defender/midfielder catches the ball, the ref as usual blows for the mark and is claimed by catcher, the player then passes the ball back to the keeper.. play on or foul?

Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

general

• View Profile
« Reply #617 on: September 27, 2021, 10:53:26 AM »

Football, keeper kicks the ball out, defender/midfielder catches the ball, the ref as usual blows for the mark and is claimed by catcher, the player then passes the ball back to the keeper.. play on or foul?

Foul -

Rule 2.7(a) and (c) applies.
• Kick-out shall be taken from the ground at the centre of 20m line.
• Kick-out cannot be kicked backwards.
• All players to be outside 20m line, 13m from the ball and outside the semi-circle arc.
• Goalkeeper not taking the kick-out shall remain in the small rectangle.
• If the defender is kicking out the ball, the rule does not prevent the ball been played
back to the defender.
• The ball shall not travel less than 13m and outside the 20m before been played by
another member of the defending team.
• The player who directly receives the ball from a kick-out cannot pass the ball back to
the goalkeeper without another person playing it. Free to be taken from where the
Goalkeeper receives the ball.

o “Pass” means all passes, including kick passes (from the hand or the ground)
and hand passes.
o To “Pass the ball directly back to goalkeeper” should be interpreted as cannot
be passed to the goalkeeper, regardless of direction.
o Free is conceded when the Goalkeeper plays the ball.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2021, 10:55:33 AM by general »

Hound

• View Profile
« Reply #618 on: September 27, 2021, 10:55:31 AM »

My view:

If mark is claimed it's a new play, so next kick is the first phase of a play (for want of a better phrase), not a continuation of the kickout phase, so no foul. Similarly, if keeper kicks the ball out to his 7, but the opposition 12 clearly fouled him before the ball reaches him and ref blows for a free. Then the free kick can be passed back to the keeper.

Whereas if the mark wasn't claimed and midfielder plays on, then it's the same phase of play, so if he then passes to the keeper it would be a foul.

Dunsilly King

• View Profile
« Reply #619 on: September 27, 2021, 10:57:37 AM »

My view:

If mark is claimed it's a new play, so next kick is the first phase of a play (for want of a better phrase), not a continuation of the kickout phase, so no foul. Similarly, if keeper kicks the ball out to his 7, but the opposition 12 clearly fouled him before the ball reaches him and ref blows for a free. Then the free kick can be passed back to the keeper.

Whereas if the mark wasn't claimed and midfielder plays on, then it's the same phase of play, so if he then passes to the keeper it would be a foul.

Thats my view as well.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: September 27, 2021, 11:01:40 AM »

Foul -

Rule 2.7(a) and (c) applies.
• Kick-out shall be taken from the ground at the centre of 20m line.
• Kick-out cannot be kicked backwards.
• All players to be outside 20m line, 13m from the ball and outside the semi-circle arc.
• Goalkeeper not taking the kick-out shall remain in the small rectangle.
• If the defender is kicking out the ball, the rule does not prevent the ball been played
back to the defender.
• The ball shall not travel less than 13m and outside the 20m before been played by
another member of the defending team.
• The player who directly receives the ball from a kick-out cannot pass the ball back to
the goalkeeper without another person playing it. Free to be taken from where the
Goalkeeper receives the ball.

o “Pass” means all passes, including kick passes (from the hand or the ground)
and hand passes.
o To “Pass the ball directly back to goalkeeper” should be interpreted as cannot
be passed to the goalkeeper, regardless of direction.
o Free is conceded when the Goalkeeper plays the ball.

And I get that, but when a referee blows his whistle is that the start of a new play? Has anyone seen it either way since the mark and pass back to keeper rule has been in play? why You'd do it in the first place is baffling, but it happened
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)