Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Na Glinntí Glasa

It could go to another appeal again if the residents wanted to.

Im not sure if it would be upheld this time around as the size of it was reduced plus the decision was approved by an actual minister and not a civil servant like last time.
hurl like f**k boi!

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: hardstation on October 13, 2020, 01:12:07 PM
Not that I disagree with you but we were previously at this stage after Environment Minister Mark H Durkan approved planning permission.

Yeah, it's basically December 2013 again, albeit with different plans. Absolutely no guarantee of a different outcome

BrendanAntrim

Residents, or anyone else, still have the option of seeking to have the planning approval judicially reviewed. They have to take that action within 28 days. I would like to think that this time round the GAA and Dept have made sure everything procedurally has been done properly. A JR can only review the process, not the planning decision

Milltown Row2

If, and it's a big if, if this gets the go ahead and all parties are reasonably happy, it will create much needed jobs for the build and infrastructure around the place, will be madness heading to my parents house but hopefully that'll be well planned!  :D
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Dunsilly King

Just don't go when there is a game or something else on. Its not like it will have a game etc every night and day. 😜

bannside

A huge step in the right direction. Fingers crossed things run a lot more smoothly this time round. Two wins at the weekend would cap a great week for Antrim GAA.

marty34

How many would have been at Casement on the big games?

20, 000+???

Sportacus

There were some memorable packed houses in the early noughties. Attacking football and Antrim in with a chance.  We've enough good players knocking around to see days like that again in the near future. There'll be good times ahead when we shake Covid.

bannside

Antrim is the sleeping giant of all the counties. With a team on the pitch producing the goods, we could have a huge support base. I'm very optimistic that Antrim Gaa has a bright future, albeit this could still be a decade or even a full generation off.

The work Sean Kelly and Saffron Gael in particular is playing an enormous role in developing the mindset amongst juveniles that Gaa is a big sport, culture, way of life. We have lost that battle to soccer in particular over the years, and with Gaelfast and schools  changing that, clubs putting greater emphasis on treating their juveniles right from an an early age, then I think we have a lot to look forward to.

Saffron Vision too played a huge role. Ulster and officials at Croke Park realised they were doing business with professionals who they could invest in. Its been a long hard road but the signposts are now pointing to a much better place.

BrendanAntrim

There is almost unlimited potential. I see it at football games from u12 - u18, the talent in our county is huge. Small things can lead to big things - getting out of Division 4 is so important I think. Not because the standard in Div 3 is exponentially higher than 4, but promotion would be a lcear demonstration to those younger players that we are on the right track.

Also, success begets success. Long term achievements are built bottom up but top down can help too. The relative success of our football team between 2009 - 2012 brought big numbers to our games. Remember the 2010 season when we got promoted from 3 to 2? The stand at Casement was full 30 mins before games started, we had around 15 - 20,000 in Clones and thousands in Tullamore and Thurles.

Not to put pressure on the squad (both squads) but this weekend's games are really important. Promotion to Div 3, consolidation of that position, promotion then to Div 2 in a season or two...these are seemingly small steps with huge promise. The same principle applies to our hurlers.

The physical building of a new stadium is its own statement. I hope that we see diggers on site early next year. That can be the top down source of inspiration too.

Big weekend ahead. Big years to come.

Calm Down

Do we know if the announcement by the Executive will effect the Ulster Minor Championship are they considered 'elite'?

NAG1

Quote from: Calm Down on October 14, 2020, 10:45:38 AM
Do we know if the announcement by the Executive will effect the Ulster Minor Championship are they considered 'elite'?

Currently regarded as elite as far as I am aware. However this could change given the current state of things around that age groups with schools etc.

Na Glinntí Glasa

We had some big crowds back in the old casement. 1990 Antrim hurling final, some crowd at it that day

https://freeimage.host/i/2DnPFn
hurl like f**k boi!

BrendanAntrim

Yes, considered elite.

whatwillbwillb

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 13, 2020, 07:56:27 PM
If, and it’s a big if, if this gets the go ahead and all parties are reasonably happy, it will create much needed jobs for the build and infrastructure around the place, will be madness heading to my parents house but hopefully that’ll be well planned!  :D

Hope your right MR2, the contract needs to be heavily structured with Social Value clauses to insure local supply teams are from the area get the work, you hear this all the time and the reality is very little goes to the local trades/ companies.. and our local politician's need to be on this to insure this happens!  Buckingham Group (lead contractor) are an english firm,  as this would be beyond Heron Bros on their own financially,  assuming also the 5 other bidders don't JR the project in relation to all the changes that have made with substantial  increased costs... so in short in my be some time yet before it starts...hopefully thats not the case, but theres not much construction work next year out there on the books for the big local firms that didn't win the original tender.