What football team would you like to see lift Sam?

Started by Blowitupref, August 01, 2011, 05:53:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What football team would you like to see lift Sam

Kerry
11 (8.1%)
Donegal
28 (20.6%)
Dublin
13 (9.6%)
Mayo
42 (30.9%)
Tyrone
42 (30.9%)

Total Members Voted: 136

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 04, 2011, 01:28:22 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 04, 2011, 01:06:16 PM
It was a 'skit' on the John Murray radio show, where they played snippets of Mickey Harte in answer to their own 'funny' questions.

Crass, repulsive and pathetic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7go_94C6mIY

First time I heard the clip.
It was unfunny shite, I'll definitely agree with that. It was a cheap shot at his refusal to do interviews with RTÉ, definitely.

But "crass, repulsive and pathetic" or "disgusting"? I think that's an over-reaction really.
And I think to suggest that playing "Pretty little girl from Omagh" was in any way used as a 'joke' in relation to his daughter's murder is actually far more crass and disgusting than the clip.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

I agree, Tubberman. The "sketch" was typical of the John Murray show in being totally unfunny. To suggest it was a deliberate goading of the Harte family in their grief is hysterical. I'm not easily shocked, but I'd be floored if I could bring myself to suspect that the song choice was anything more than thoughtless.

EC Unique

Quote from: Tubberman on August 04, 2011, 01:59:28 PM
It was a 'skit' on the John Murray radio show, where they played snippets of Mickey Harte in answer to their own 'funny' questions.

It was unfunny shite, I'll definitely agree with that. It was a cheap shot at his refusal to do interviews with RTÉ, definitely.

But "crass, repulsive and pathetic" or "disgusting"? I think that's an overreaction really.
And I think to suggest that playing "Pretty little girl from Omagh" was in any way used as a 'joke' in relation to his daughter's murder is actually far more crass and disgusting than the clip.

Given that he buried his daughter only months ago would you not agree it was highly insensitive to put this piece together with that song? It may not have been meant in the serious manor that is being suggested by some but it would have been better if this piece of ''humour'' was not aired.

Tubberman

Quote from: EC Unique on August 04, 2011, 02:20:18 PM

But "crass, repulsive and pathetic" or "disgusting"? I think that's an overreaction really.

Given that he buried his daughter only months ago would you not agree it was highly insensitive to put this piece together with that song? It may not have been meant in the serious manor that is being suggested by some but it would have been better if this piece of ''humour'' was not aired.

I'd say the choice of song was thoughtless as Hardy said, and by that token, yes it was insensitive. But not crass, repulsive, disgusting etc

And personally, I'd find it better if John Murrary's entire show was not aired  ;)
I thought he'd be good in that slot, but I turn it off after 5 mins whenever I have it on. Anyway, that's going off topic from this, which is also off-topic from the thread.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ONeill

Who suggested they were deliberately goading the Harte family in their grief?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on August 03, 2011, 06:21:32 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on August 03, 2011, 05:51:16 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 03, 2011, 05:43:31 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on August 03, 2011, 04:13:04 PM
I'd love to see Mayo win it just to see the reaction.
Spontaneous combustion on a massive scale I'd say.
Attn certain Mayo posters: I don't actually want to see Mayo people exploding.

I think if Mayo won it, there'd be f**king mayhem. But the hard wired pessimism would cause a meltdown. It'd be great craic. I still want to see Kerry win it :)

I think if Mayo won it, this hard wired pessimism will creep in. They'll spend the rest of the year waiting for the DRA to come knocking and take Sam off them.

Its not far from reality. The first All-Ireland Mayo won was taken back from us after Galway insisted on the Connacht Final being played (a game they couldn't have been arsed turning up for the first time). Galway bet us in the Connacht Final and awarded our All-Ireland title  >:(

So that's where the hysteria originated  :D

On the "skit", I find myself in agreement with Tubberman and Hardy in that I don't think it was deliberately meant. That said it was a rubbish piece of editing for a rubbish attempt of humour on a rubbish program. Anyways, I thought Harte's boycott was in response to RTÉ not even acknowledging his letter, never mind replying to the points he raised in regards to the treatment of Brian Carty. Now whether or not it's any of Harte's business how RTÉ structure their business is beside the point. The fact that RTÉ didn't afford a man, who makes himself available to them at no cost multiple times a week, a simple reply is completely unacceptable and he is dead right to boycott them. Once their run is over I expect to see a detailed explanation from him, it'd be some craic if he gives it to Marty after the final whistle in September, Marty would never recover from another September knockout surely.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

BennyCake

Donegal first. Mayo second. I just hope neither Tyrone, Kerry or Dublin win it.

Fear ón Srath Bán

But "crass, repulsive and pathetic" or "disgusting"? I think that's an over-reaction really.

Fair enough, I was thinking of RTE!  ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

muppet

The way this Harte/RTE thing is escalating I can see it ending in another bailout.
MWWSI 2017

redandblack4ever

Great answer Muppet. ;D  ;D  ;D

As to who will lift Sam this year my first choice is Mayo. There's thousands of Mayo people here in Chicago and if they win, the craic will be ninety. After all it's been 60 years since they last won it.

After them my choice is Tyrone. I'm a sentimental person, so to see them win again, after all Mickey Harte's been through, it would do my heart good to see Brian Dooher lift Sam. However, it would be their 4th win which brings them in range of Down's 5 All-Ireland's and that's not such a good thing..

My third choice would be Donegal. My great--great grandfather emigrated from there in the 1830's to Paterson, NJ, so once again sentimentality wins out.  I don't like their defensive style of play, but if they can repeat their 2nd half and the extra-time performance against Kildare, well that's OK.

Kerry doesn't need another All-Ireland and Dublin, well let's just say because they're Dublin, they don't need one either.

Mrs. redandblack4ever
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."Edward R. Murrow,American Jounalist,1908-1965

ross matt

I dont think anyone here believes RTE deliberately goaded the Harte family. But at best they were downright disrespectful to an outstanding Irishman, successful gaa coach and thorough gentleman who has always been generous to all media outlets for interviews etc. On top of all that he was shortly after suffering an unimaginable family loss but soldiered on admirably.

He may have been over loyal re Carthy but he deserved alot better from the national broadcaster than to be lampooned by a lightweight clown of a presenter with no knowledge of sport. Would they have been so quick to jeer at Declan Kidney?

If Tyrone win the AI I hope Mickey and the squad completely boycott RTE. On Tax payers money they've gotten away with  taking the GAA for granted for years with gombeen style coverage and presentation.

Rudi

A Rossie living in Donegal here, in order of least perference

kerry - have enough
Dublin - media over-hyped and serial chockers
Tyrone - capable of playing top class football but were heavily involved in developing the bastardised blanket defence
Donegal - play brutal brand of football with a very capable team, a lot of bandwagon supporters who would rather be stuck under the bonnet of a car ateing a big 4 with sauce running down the sides of their jaw.
Mayo - loyal deprived supporters deserve a break, very consistent team over the last 15 years

ardtole

I have never had much love for tyrone but I wouldnt begrudge them or Mickey Harte an all ireland this year. The way he has handled himself after all that happenned at the start of the year is inspiring. If Donegal or Mayo won however, for pure partying and crack it would be a toss up, so basically anyone but Kerry or the dubs.

J70

Quote from: ross matt on August 04, 2011, 09:16:27 PM
I dont think anyone here believes RTE deliberately goaded the Harte family. But at best they were downright disrespectful to an outstanding Irishman, successful gaa coach and thorough gentleman who has always been generous to all media outlets for interviews etc. On top of all that he was shortly after suffering an unimaginable family loss but soldiered on admirably.

He may have been over loyal re Carthy but he deserved alot better from the national broadcaster than to be lampooned by a lightweight clown of a presenter with no knowledge of sport. Would they have been so quick to jeer at Declan Kidney?

If Tyrone win the AI I hope Mickey and the squad completely boycott RTE. On Tax payers money they've gotten away with  taking the GAA for granted for years with gombeen style coverage and presentation.

Well said.

saffron sam2

1. Dublin - I met Bernard Brogan snr once and he is a gentleman.
2. Tyrone - I met Kevin 'Hub' Hughes and he too is a gentleman, but he has more All-Ireland Senior medals than all of Bernard's chaps put together.
3. Kerry - I've been there on holidays and it never rained.
4. Mayo - I've been there on holidays and it rained every day.
5. Donegal - it would just be wrong. Totally wrong.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet