The OFFICIAL Liverpool FC thread - #DankeJürgen

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, February 05, 2009, 03:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaaboardmod3

Quote from: All of a Sludden on February 13, 2014, 03:41:44 PM
Was Fearon not banned for similar comments?

He was indeed, but he was banned for repeatedly posting comments like that, despite being warned about it. Walter, your comment falls quite clearly under rule 4

Quote4. Inappropriate posts, incitement or racist posting.
   This is a very broad topic, and can be the most subjective in the way the moderators view things. In general, it would be the 'good manners' rule. Specific examples of
    inappropriate posts would be the following. (This list is by no means conclusive)
      - Abusive posts between fans of soccer teams, clearly not part of good humoured banter. Mentions of Hillsborough, Munich, Heysel or alluding to these incidents in a
        way designed to incite other posters to break forum rules.
Please keep that sort of stuff off the soccer threads.

Wobbler, yours is less obvious, but based on the other post Laoislad quotes, it's hard to give the benefit of the doubt.  Cop on.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 13, 2014, 02:00:45 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2014, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 13, 2014, 10:14:41 AM
going through the fixtures there i think Liverpool will realistically finish with about 80 points.
Probably not enough to challenge for the title.
That is counting on a draw in both the city & chelsea games. (as well as the united,southampton & spurs games)
win either of those though...........

No chance, none at all of hitting 80. The squad just isn't there to improve on form so far this season, and even if he's been quieter in the past few games, a suspension or injury to Suarez is enough to unhinge everything.

Liverpool won't break 75 pts. If they do I'll give £96 to one of your black armband funds.
They don't have to improve to beat your 75 point mark, if they carry on at the current points per game average they will end up with 77 points.
I posted before Fulham match that you expect at least 25 points from remaining fixtures (total 75+). I am never wrong.

BarryBreensBandage

Quote from: thewobbler on February 13, 2014, 01:51:03 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 13, 2014, 10:14:41 AM
going through the fixtures there i think Liverpool will realistically finish with about 80 points.
Probably not enough to challenge for the title.
That is counting on a draw in both the city & chelsea games. (as well as the united,southampton & spurs games)
win either of those though...........

No chance, none at all of hitting 80. The squad just isn't there to improve on form so far this season, and even if he's been quieter in the past few games, a suspension or injury to Suarez is enough to unhinge everything.

Liverpool won't break 75 pts. If they do I'll give £96 to one of your black armband funds.

Don't agree - I think they would cope alright without him - Sure you want him on your team, but I don't think Rodgers would let the standard drop, evidence of this at the start of the season.

Every team in the top five is going to wobble and drop points - whoever copes best with this, doesn't let it affect them and gets back to winning ways quickest will win the title.
"Some people say I am indecisive..... maybe I am, maybe I'm not".

Bingo

Ok, hands up time, who had wrote Stevie G off this year and called for him to be benched? I was certainly one.

Shameful really. I don't think he has put a foot wrong in the last while, peno V Arsenal apart but he'll learn from that if he to continue in this role.

In a team like Liverpool that is fairly raw and lacking experienced leaders, he is really standing tall. He is getting better and better at the holding role and is a great physical presence there and is reading the game really well. He has the added bonus of been very comfortable on the ball and can therefore take it out of defence at ease.

He is one assist short of his best very PL season. These are coming regularly from dead balls and its been an area that was so wasteful for Liverpool over the years.

His penaltys - ice cool. You'd back him everything at the minute.

Second half in Istanbul, he was the one who made the difference. You get the impression he is that type of mood again and is determined to finish the league as high as possible.

Is his greatest moments still ahead of him?

AZOffaly

I hadn't written him off, but I thought he needed to be used differently. I also thought (and think) that he inhibits Henderson especially in the team. I also thought/think that in the forward 2 in midfield (currently Coutinho and Henderson) when Lucas was playing, he skewed the balance.

But.... I still think he has a lot to offer, and I'm delighted he's playing well and contributing. It's a different role he's playing now as that sitting midfielder, but he still has the ability to play a great pass, or deliver a set piece.

deiseach

What I would like to know if I spoke to Brendan Rodgers is whether Gerrard is undroppable. I would have thought on a horses-for-courses basis that there would be games where a midfield combination without him would be advisable. I don't think Gerrad has failed to start this season in the league if he was fit, which would suggest to me that Rodgers hasn't the cojones to leave him out and everyone else has to fit around him. Although speaking of cojones, that penalty...

AZOffaly

I think Rodgers is trying to trade off the value he brings to the team as a leader (and deliverer of set pieces, and the odd goal) versus the disruption of playing him, especially in a game where we need to set up with a strong defensive midfielder. Gerrard doesn't have the engine for box to box any more. Henderson is more of 'that' player.

Our back 4 is shaky at best. So in a big game, say when Man City come to Anfield, if Lucas is fit do you play Lucas in front of the back 4, and play Gerrard and Henderson (which would probably mean either Coutinho or Sterling drop out), or do you play Gerrard? That's a tricky one I think.

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on February 14, 2014, 09:59:40 AM
What I would like to know if I spoke to Brendan Rodgers is whether Gerrard is undroppable. I would have thought on a horses-for-courses basis that there would be games where a midfield combination without him would be advisable. I don't think Gerrad has failed to start this season in the league if he was fit, which would suggest to me that Rodgers hasn't the cojones to leave him out and everyone else has to fit around him. Although speaking of cojones, that penalty...

I don't think Rodgers would bench him if he fully fit but there could be a player at every club who is in same position. I don't know if this is right or wrong. No player should be undroppable but at times its is excusable.

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2014, 09:53:42 AM
I hadn't written him off, but I thought he needed to be used differently. I also thought (and think) that he inhibits Henderson especially in the team. I also thought/think that in the forward 2 in midfield (currently Coutinho and Henderson) when Lucas was playing, he skewed the balance.

But.... I still think he has a lot to offer, and I'm delighted he's playing well and contributing. It's a different role he's playing now as that sitting midfielder, but he still has the ability to play a great pass, or deliver a set piece.

Is there any other player at the club would would see and execute that pass for the opener at Fulham. I don't think so, although Suarez at times can see the impossible. With the current role, I actually think Henderson is flourishly, he is the forward midfielder and has free reign to cover the pitch and take advanced positions. He no longer has to worry about that space been already filled by Gerard. Then defensively Hnerderson can commit to a tackle or press hard, knowing that Gerard is behind them. This dynamic has changed from the Villa game where neither knew what role they had.

AZOffaly

Bingo, I agree 100%. Which begs my question. What do you do when Lucas is fit?

J OGorman

Gerrard easily covered twice the ground Henderson did on Wednesday night, both defensively and supporting the attack. With the squad Liverpool have at the minute, and Gerrards form / appetite for a battle, I wouldnt dream of dropping him. A tilt at glory in his twilight years being more than enough to keep him going

J OGorman

Quote from: Bingo on February 14, 2014, 09:51:05 AM
Ok, hands up time, who had wrote Stevie G off this year and called for him to be benched? I was certainly one.

Shameful really. I don't think he has put a foot wrong in the last while, peno V Arsenal apart but he'll learn from that if he to continue in this role.

In a team like Liverpool that is fairly raw and lacking experienced leaders, he is really standing tall. He is getting better and better at the holding role and is a great physical presence there and is reading the game really well. He has the added bonus of been very comfortable on the ball and can therefore take it out of defence at ease.

He is one assist short of his best very PL season. These are coming regularly from dead balls and its been an area that was so wasteful for Liverpool over the years.

His penaltys - ice cool. You'd back him everything at the minute.

Second half in Istanbul, he was the one who made the difference. You get the impression he is that type of mood again and is determined to finish the league as high as possible.

Is his greatest moments still ahead of him?

along with Hamann

Bingo

Quote from: AZOffaly on February 14, 2014, 10:18:30 AM
Bingo, I agree 100%. Which begs my question. What do you do when Lucas is fit?

3 weeks ago, I'd have said Lucas back in and Gerard more advanced. Not so sure now. Gerard probably suits the role where you are letting the opposition have possession as he will move the ball quicker and start the counter attack.

It will likely suit some games to have both in and as it stands, can't see Lucas moving him. Important to have the option though for games that need to be chased or where you are defending a lead.

Bingo

Quote from: J OGorman on February 14, 2014, 10:22:46 AM
along with Hamann

Didi came in to stop the rot, Gerard was the one who took the game to Milan. Agree that he would not have been able to do this without Didi in place.

deiseach

Is there any LFC discussion that can't be referenced back to Istanbul? That's a rhetorical question, carry on!

Billys Boots

This discussion is reminding me of the season when Jimmy Case's legs were gone and Southampton told him to just stay in the centre circle for the 70 mins - sublime, a joy to watch (and remember).
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...