Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

bcarrier

Lecale2

SHC final won by Ballycran.

Ballycran 1-11 Ports 13 pts. Ballycran scored a goal in the second minute of injury time to put them a pt a head. Portaferry missed a 30 yard free to equalise with the last puck of the game. Good final played in very bad conditions.

pauly2

Quote from: bcarrier on September 25, 2011, 08:47:13 PM
Burren into final.1-14 0-06.

What a performance... Rostrevor were second best throughout and Burren can rightly take their place in their second consecutive county final. On this performance tonight they will win at a canter - but can they reproduce it again in 3 weeks that is the question... Sean Murdock, Conor Toner, Anton, Mc Kernan, Gerard Mc Cartan, O'Hare and shay Mc Ardle were all good for the victors with rostrevor having noone really shining...

umpire

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 25, 2011, 12:37:25 PM
Quote from: Leo on September 25, 2011, 10:37:14 AM
Quote from: ardtole on September 24, 2011, 09:17:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2011, 08:59:49 PM
Is that the biggest shock in Down GAA history?

In fairness, Clonduff's first XV, when they're all available, is a good solid team. Theyve not much to call on in reserve , but it's definitely a useful 15.

I think Teconnaught beat Burren in the 1st round of the championship the season after they won the all ireland. If I am right about that, then that would have to be the biggest shock of all time.

I think back in the early 80s Carryduff- inj their first year in senior championship I think - had a shock win over Loughinisland and a couple of years later over one of the Championship favourites at the time An Riocht.

Dromara beat Rostrevor in the 1st round of the SFC in 1991.

Teconnaught beat Rostrevor in SFC first round of 1984

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lecale2 on September 25, 2011, 09:07:06 PM
SHC final won by Ballycran.

Ballycran 1-11 Ports 13 pts. Ballycran scored a goal in the second minute of injury time to put them a pt a head. Portaferry missed a 30 yard free to equalise with the last puck of the game. Good final played in very back conditions.

Wilson?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ardtole

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 25, 2011, 08:13:57 PM
IFC Semi Final

Ballymartin 0-14  Dundrum 0-10

A gallant performance from ourselves against a team that was expected to steamroller us. Ballymartin just edged away in the final ten minutes when their fitness started to come to the fore.

The Mourne men led 0-06 to 0-05 at halftime and they kept themselves ahead for the rest of the game. We only had 18 players available to us today and I think we surpassed all expectations in reaching our first IFC Semi Final in 17 years. Coincidentally it was Ballymartin that beat us at that stage aswell.

I think Kilclief will beat Ballymartin. Very experienced team and the club must be on a high after the hurling win. How did you only have 18 players available df

Kilclief will definitely fancy their chances against the Lilywhites in the Final. Its back to the League for us and trying to avoid the relegation playoffs.

DownFanatic

Quote from: ardtole on September 25, 2011, 10:48:30 PM
Quote from: DownFanatic on September 25, 2011, 08:13:57 PM
IFC Semi Final

Ballymartin 0-14  Dundrum 0-10

A gallant performance from ourselves against a team that was expected to steamroller us. Ballymartin just edged away in the final ten minutes when their fitness started to come to the fore.

The Mourne men led 0-06 to 0-05 at halftime and they kept themselves ahead for the rest of the game. We only had 18 players available to us today and I think we surpassed all expectations in reaching our first IFC Semi Final in 17 years. Coincidentally it was Ballymartin that beat us at that stage aswell.

I think Kilclief will beat Ballymartin. Very experienced team and the club must be on a high after the hurling win. How did you only have 18 players available df
Kilclief will definitely fancy their chances against the Lilywhites in the Final. Its back to the League for us and trying to avoid the relegation playoffs.

We were hit hard three weeks ago with boys heading to Australia and New Zealand and even before that we didn't have the biggest of panels.

NedFlanders

Speaking of lads headin away on their travels, An Riocht have 23+ away at present, most who would have been senior team panelist at most, with 3 or 4 away next year too

dundrumite

Never one to give off about refs but to be a point in it at half time to come out to a 7-5 half time score board was slightly frustrating. Have Seen twitter updates which was score for score and down Facebook page which coincidede with the first half score board and our benchs score of 6-5. The ref is very lucky it wasn't a one point margin or draw in it at the end it really could have been fun and games at final whistle. Ballymartin deserved win at end and fair play to them. Though through suspension, injury and emigration we have lost 5 of our starting team of three weeks ago and that killed us in the end, can only dream of what could have been.
The second game was over as a contest after first attack of the second half. Not sure if Rostrevor were poor or Burren were immense, perhaps somewhere in the middle but I strongly fancy Burren to go back to back with county titles. Perhaps even beyond. A very long time since an ulster club title of any description came the way of this county.

DownFanatic

Quote from: dundrumite on September 26, 2011, 12:04:50 AM
Never one to give off about refs but to be a point in it at half time to come out to a 7-5 half time score board was slightly frustrating. Have Seen twitter updates which was score for score and down Facebook page which coincidede with the first half score board and our benchs score of 6-5. The ref is very lucky it wasn't a one point margin or draw in it at the end it really could have been fun and games at final whistle. Ballymartin deserved win at end and fair play to them. Though through suspension, injury and emigration we have lost 5 of our starting team of three weeks ago and that killed us in the end, can only dream of what could have been.
The second game was over as a contest after first attack of the second half. Not sure if Rostrevor were poor or Burren were immense, perhaps somewhere in the middle but I strongly fancy Burren to go back to back with county titles. Perhaps even beyond. A very long time since an ulster club title of any description came the way of this county.

Leo Smyth made a massive mistake in changing the halftime score from 0-06 to 0-05 to 0-07 to 0-05. If that game had of ended in a draw or one point victory then there would have been uproar and the whole thing would have been a complete mess.

I personally dont think that it is too much to ask for a referee to be competent in score recording especially at the semi final stage in the Championship. Also, it wouldn't do any harm for the fourth official at these games to keep a log of the scores too.

downjim

Vintage performance from burren last night. Donal o hare is unreal. Looking forward to taking the scalp of the yellows. I think they have played their final. On another note was that the correct score between the bridge and ballyholland on sat or did the irish news misprint

Mourne Rover

Dundrumite is right to point out that it has been a long time since a Down club won any Ulster title. It appears that no Down side has even made the final of the JFC since it began a decade ago. No Down side has got to the IFC final during the same period, although Leitrim won it in the late 90s. Our last Ulster SFC went to Burren way back in 1988, so we have underperformed pretty seriously. Given that, apart from 2010, our senior county squads have also regularly struggled to cope with championship football, there is a strong case for some sort of internal review of our performances.

Dulaney

Mayobridge 6.19 Ballyholland 0.04
Correct score