Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundrumite

For sheer excitement and passion value that was best championship game been to in a long time. With clonduff 2 behind with 10 minutes to go they had Aidan carr, Arthur mc Conville and Darren o hagan to really step up to the plate. Jason brown whilst near cost them at the end ultimately was their hero with a sublime strike from outside the 45. Kilcoo with the conveyor belt of talent at their disposal will surely be knocking on the good again. On the balance of play I think clonduff deserved their victory.
On a side note lot of posters seem be in same boat as me with 1 victory right out of 4 from today's games

DownFanatic

Two clinking games in Newry tonight. Kilclief's greater experience and physical power edged Banbridge in the end. Ciaran Sloan was in brilliant form for the East Down side. Banbridge missed an awful lot of chances. However, they are a youngish team and surely they have another run left in them in the forseeable future.

On another note, you really do have to give it to Kilclief. They are situated in far flung East Down with a limited enough pick yet they continually put out competitive football and hurling teams at Intermediate level as well as Camogie teams. A true all round club.

The Senior game was a clinker. I fancied Kilcoo not only for this game but for the Championship outright. Clonduff matched them early on for hunger and workrate and then the Yellas stepped beyond that. Paul Devlin's two missed frees in the 2nd half were extremely costly. Jason Brown's last score was a clinker.

Overall, I genuinely thought that Clonduff were probably the better team. Arthur McConville had a horse of a game while his midfield partner Darren O'Hagan was brilliant too. Brown and McPolin were classy up front aswell. The latter was actually denied two blatant enough penalty calls. Aidan Carr also had a fine game.

Its been a weekend of shocks so far and here's hoping that the Duns continue that trend tomorrow :)

here comes 6

Quote from: DownFanatic on September 24, 2011, 10:36:59 PM
Two clinking games in Newry tonight. Kilclief's greater experience and physical power edged Banbridge in the end. Ciaran Sloan was in brilliant form for the East Down side. Banbridge missed an awful lot of chances. However, they are a youngish team and surely they have another run left in them in the forseeable future.

On another note, you really do have to give it to Kilclief. They are situated in far flung East Down with a limited enough pick yet they continually put out competitive football and hurling teams at Intermediate level as well as Camogie teams. A true all round club.

The Senior game was a clinker. I fancied Kilcoo not only for this game but for the Championship outright. Clonduff matched them early on for hunger and workrate and then the Yellas stepped beyond that. Paul Devlin's two missed frees in the 2nd half were extremely costly. Jason Brown's last score was a clinker.

Overall, I genuinely thought that Clonduff were probably the better team. Arthur McConville had a horse of a game while his midfield partner Darren O'Hagan was brilliant too. Brown and McPolin were classy up front aswell. The latter was actually denied two blatant enough penalty calls. Aidan Carr also had a fine game.

Its been a weekend of shocks so far and here's hoping that the Duns continue that trend tomorrow :)

here comes 6

Quote from: here comes 6 on September 25, 2011, 01:22:34 AM

Clonduff showed tonight why the are known as a Championship team.  Balls? Clonduff won. Committement? Clonduff on heart? Clonduff won.  I didnt get out of work early enough to see all of the first game but i was walking in when kilcoo were and they were too cocky for their own good.  REMEREBER: ITS NOT THE DOG IN THE FIGHT, BUT THE FIGHT IN THE DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!     tHINK kILCOO CAN NOW TAKE THE BANNER AT THE SHOP WHICH STATES "iVE GOT A FEELING" FEEELING OF WHAT??????                                                              Felling of what?????      leagues??? they mean nothing in club football/quote]

here comes 6

Quote from: here comes 6 on September 25, 2011, 01:36:13 AM
Quote from: here comes 6 on September 25, 2011, 01:22:34 AM

Clonduff showed tonight why the are known as a Championship team.  Balls? Clonduff won. Committement? Clonduff on heart? Clonduff won.  I didnt get out of work early enough to see all of the first game but i was walking in when kilcoo were and they were too cocky for their own good.  REMEREBER: ITS NOT THE DOG IN THE FIGHT, BUT THE FIGHT IN THE DOG!!!!!!!!!!!!     IHINK kILCOO CAN NOW TAKE THE BANNER AT THE SHOP WHICH STATES "iVE GOT A FEELING" FEEELING OF WHAT??????  leagues??? they mean nothing in club football/quote]

pauly2

well well well - what about that for a result tonight... i wonder where all the people are hiding now who clained devlin a top ten player in the last ten years.  PO Mc Conville came across him just the once in the game and he didnt want to know after it.  A classic case of the bully being bullied... when the physical stakes stepped up the likes of PD, JJ, Devlin, Lavery, and the other so called hard man S O Hanlon were no where to be seen.  in fact some really displayed their true colours when there was dirty ball to be won and didnt go for it.... Thought Darren OHagan had a horse of a game and gave some of the best hits in this years championship.  Mc Conville hit couple of sweet frees and was so glad Brown scored that last one considering Mc Corry put him off with one particular kick in the first half at the sideline.  Jason had the last laugh.  Now for tomorrow.  Rostrevor definitely have a kick in them yet and if parr, mackin and the fegans can click - it will be a very different county final this year!!!!!!!

Dubh driocht

Darren O'Hagan should be the top of wee James' list of starters for Down. I know he had injuries but tonight showed, again, that he is a class act and the sort of player we are going to need badly in the post- Marty era.
Tough on Kilcoo but they will know that pride is a serious motivator, so maybe not as big a a shock as some seem to think. After all, Clonduff are a serious team and while a Down title might be the extent of their ambition, I would always have respect for a Clonduff team in a championship game. Maybe Jim Mc Corry didn't.
Earlier, I was impressed with Dromara- again, pride in the shirt is a big issue. Bredagh will need to match that pride in the final.
Agree that Kilclief are a bit of an unsung hero team- a lot of so called bigger names have learned that to their cost and I wouldn't rule them out as an ultimate winner of the IFC.

13aside

Was in Parc Esler last night for both games,first of all i would hope for a speedy recovery to the Kilclief player injured right at the start of the IFC semi-final.The East Down men had a sharpshooter in Sloan in corner-forward and former minor AI winner Kerr knocked over a super score-and also their manager had them well schooled in picking up players at free-kicks and their over-all strength saw them through.As for CNB they persisted throughout even during the final quarter with having their forwards outnumbered and this left them living on scraps,both their mid-fielders scored excellent points but i felt the numerical defecit in attack cost them dear.The senior game was great entertainment for the neutral,red-hot favourites Kilcoo were out-done by a determined hard-working Clonduff outfit.Indiscipline might have cost them the win as a free was moved forward in the final minute,however they are heartily congratulated for the win in an ethralling encounter

Leo

Quote from: ardtole on September 24, 2011, 09:17:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2011, 08:59:49 PM
Is that the biggest shock in Down GAA history?

In fairness, Clonduff's first XV, when they're all available, is a good solid team. Theyve not much to call on in reserve , but it's definitely a useful 15.

I think Teconnaught beat Burren in the 1st round of the championship the season after they won the all ireland. If I am right about that, then that would have to be the biggest shock of all time.

I think back in the early 80s Carryduff- inj their first year in senior championship I think - had a shock win over Loughinisland and a couple of years later over one of the Championship favourites at the time An Riocht.
Fierce tame altogether

DownFanatic

Quote from: Leo on September 25, 2011, 10:37:14 AM
Quote from: ardtole on September 24, 2011, 09:17:00 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on September 24, 2011, 08:59:49 PM
Is that the biggest shock in Down GAA history?

In fairness, Clonduff's first XV, when they're all available, is a good solid team. Theyve not much to call on in reserve , but it's definitely a useful 15.

I think Teconnaught beat Burren in the 1st round of the championship the season after they won the all ireland. If I am right about that, then that would have to be the biggest shock of all time.

I think back in the early 80s Carryduff- inj their first year in senior championship I think - had a shock win over Loughinisland and a couple of years later over one of the Championship favourites at the time An Riocht.

Dromara beat Rostrevor in the 1st round of the SFC in 1991.

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

angermanagement

SHEEDY

ballymartin beat dundrum 15pts to 10.
nil satis nisi optimum

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

DownFanatic

IFC Semi Final

Ballymartin 0-14  Dundrum 0-10

A gallant performance from ourselves against a team that was expected to steamroller us. Ballymartin just edged away in the final ten minutes when their fitness started to come to the fore.

The Mourne men led 0-06 to 0-05 at halftime and they kept themselves ahead for the rest of the game. We only had 18 players available to us today and I think we surpassed all expectations in reaching our first IFC Semi Final in 17 years. Coincidentally it was Ballymartin that beat us at that stage aswell.

Kilclief will definitely fancy their chances against the Lilywhites in the Final. Its back to the League for us and trying to avoid the relegation playoffs.