White Collar Boxing

Started by magpie seanie, July 10, 2009, 11:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on July 25, 2009, 12:52:55 AM
how is the training going Seanie?  Id say boxing training would be great, would love to try it just for the training but would feel awkward going to a boxing gym at 25 years of age and never swung the fists at anyone yet  ;D 

That's the idea of white collar boxing. Training is tough but enjoyable and I've almost a stone gone in 5 weeks. A pity I didn't do it years ago.

magpie seanie

The line up is finalised at this stage so its nearly showtime. As I supected I'm going to be fighting a good mate of mine and it should be a good ding dong judging by the sparring sessions we've had. A light taining on Friday and then its the big night. Must admit to a few nerves beginning to build. Its a bit of craic alright but its in front of a good crowd so want to do well.

As I said before it will be a good nights craic so if anyone is about Sligo on Saturday send me a pm and I'll arrange tickets for you.

tyssam5

magpie seanie

Just a quick report on our night. It went fantastically well. Good crowd, good fights, good craic and raised a nice pile of money for the club. Myself and a good mate of mine were the last fight of the night and when we eventually got on we gave it socks. He got the decision a the end which I was a little disappointed at but I keep telling myself that the decision wasn't the important thing on the night. We put on a bloody good show and everyone that went into the ring can hold their head up high. At the outset I wouldn't have imagined how tough the actual fight would be but as the weeks went by it became clear it was going to be war. The two of us could barely stand up at the end. If anyone had the power to hit the other once more it was over.

Might have been better for us to run this in the winter. Bank hol weekend might have curtailed the crowd a bit which was a shame but we'll know for the next time. Don't see myself going back into the ring but will have to work out a way to keep up the training. Would recommend this to anyone. O'Grady and his crew put on a first class show.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 04, 2009, 12:49:09 PM
Just a quick report on our night. It went fantastically well. Good crowd, good fights, good craic and raised a nice pile of money for the club. Myself and a good mate of mine were the last fight of the night and when we eventually got on we gave it socks. He got the decision a the end which I was a little disappointed at but I keep telling myself that the decision wasn't the important thing on the night. We put on a bloody good show and everyone that went into the ring can hold their head up high. At the outset I wouldn't have imagined how tough the actual fight would be but as the weeks went by it became clear it was going to be war. The two of us could barely stand up at the end. If anyone had the power to hit the other once more it was over.

Might have been better for us to run this in the winter. Bank hol weekend might have curtailed the crowd a bit which was a shame but we'll know for the next time. Don't see myself going back into the ring but will have to work out a way to keep up the training. Would recommend this to anyone. O'Grady and his crew put on a first class show.

Glad to hear it was a success..how did Quinny do? Anyone from gaaboard show up to support?

Next yr can you organise a UFC fight with me and one of the mayolads ;)?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Smokin Joe

Seanie, how did it feel to hit and be hit by a "good mate"?

stevo-08

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 04, 2009, 12:55:52 PM
Glad to hear it was a success..how did Quinny do? Anyone from gaaboard show up to support?

I was there, although i only caught the last 4 bouts, so didnt see Quinn fighting. Brilliant, brilliant night though.

As for seanie's bout, I can understand why he feels disappointed. I would have given it a draw. Although I'm no boxing expert so maybe there was a few things I missed. Both of them could hardly stand at the end so fair play for giving their all. And actually I thought seanie's opponent looked the more tired and if seanie had any bit of energy left, he could have had him.

A very good crowd there aswell which was great, made for a good atmosphere. A great idea for a fundraiser.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 04, 2009, 01:18:27 PM
Seanie, how did it feel to hit and be hit by a "good mate"?

Like if you were playing football against a good friend - you just put it out of your mind who he is. If anything it was a help fighting someone I knew so well as I knew how hard he'd go for it.

Sligonian - Quinn won his fight. He was fighting a lad a good bit taller with a longer reach but Quinn was the busier and was a clear points winner. Good athlete and a sound lad. Not sure Sligo is ready for you in a UFC fight just yet!