What - no discussion about the GAA backing pay for play?

Started by Hardy, April 05, 2007, 08:56:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

I haven't time to contribute, but I logged in to find out what people here think of the GAA's decision to back the GPA's pay-for-play agenda and was amazed to find no discussuion here.

What do people think?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Wouldn't be too sure that it has crossed the expenses/pay-for-play boundary just yet?  A key criterion that would indicate pay-for-play would be the possibility of being paid different amounts with different counties, and that would be a different story.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tubberman

Agree with Fear ón Srath Bán .
The scheme that is being proposed does not allow for bigger/more successful counties paying more to certain players, which is something that I would be opposed to.
And because of that, it does not make the possibility of transfers any more of a problem that they are already.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Hardy

I don't have time , but:

They are to be paid for playing football/hurling = pay for play.
They get more money the more successful they are = players with successful counties make more.

Turfsmoke

When the GAA itself has been allowed absolutely no discussion on this issue (and when we can't even be allowed to know what's in the bid that went to the govt) there's not much point in having a discussion here!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Turfsmoke on April 05, 2007, 09:38:30 AM

When the GAA itself has been allowed absolutely no discussion on this issue (and when we can't even be allowed to know what's in the bid that went to the govt) there's not much point in having a discussion here!

True, only when it's made fully public shall we know exactly what's involved, and as Nicky Brennan said yesterday, that's not exactly imminent:

In regards a timeline of when this system might come into place, a GPA statement added: "Both the GPA and the GAA anticipate, given the assurances afforded by Minister (John) O'Donoghue and An Taoiseach Bertie Ahern, that the joint proposal will now be rubberstamped in time for the current season." (Irish Times)

magpie seanie

I don't want to comment until I know the full details. I'm suspicious about it though.

lynchbhoy

croke park shouldnt be opened up full time to soccer , rugby , cricket and tennis

AZOffaly

QuoteI don't have time , but:

They are to be paid for playing football/hurling = pay for play.
They get more money the more successful they are = players with successful counties make more.

I don't have time either, but:

I agree.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Hardy on April 05, 2007, 09:29:09 AM

1) They are to be paid for playing football/hurling = pay for play.
2) They get more money the more successful they are = players with successful counties make more.

1. Blurred distinction methinks, not black and white -- it's more a question of not being so much out of pocket, as opposed to "making" money.
2. As 1, and players with more successful counties are more successful, so assuming that it's not about making money (only covering expenses), there is just as much incentive to switch counties now as there would be then.

Billys Boots

My time is more precious than Hardy's or AZ's, but:

Did Brennan not say it would be discussed at Congress in the next week or so?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Billys Boots on April 05, 2007, 10:33:57 AM
My time is more precious than Hardy's or AZ's, but:

Did Brennan not say it would be discussed at Congress in the next week or so?

That will come after the reponse from John O'Donoghue I believe.

AZOffaly

I must confess I've been up the walls at work and travelling to the UK a fair bit, so I've missed a few things, but this quote intrigues me

Quoteout of pocket

Is it only an expenses thing then? do they have to submit expenses? Or is it a fixed amount? Is there a different amount for Students as opposed to Self Employed like Farmers etc? How to they quantify 'out of pocket' for all the different social, economic and employment demographics that constitute GAA players today?

Are managers included? (Or is the illegal payments of managers being accepted as a nod and a wink?) They put in as much time as players. Selectors?

Not trying to be a smart-arse; I'm genuinely curious about the terms and conditions of this 'grant'.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Not sure about the mechanics AZ, we'll have to wait and see on that one, but the expenses vs profit will be the clincher!

AZOffaly

Well, I suppose in it's basest form expenses would require receipts. I would be of the opinion that valid expenses, with receipts, should be paid in full and not capped at a grant level. If I'm driving to training, and the expenses are 50 cent a mile, for arguments sake, and I drive 4,000 miles in a year, I would expect €2000 recompense. Equally, if expenses include meals, bandages, injury treatments etc etc and I include receipts, I would expect payment even if this tops €2,500 or whatever the figure is.

Is this new grant to replace expense claims or an ADD ON?? I suspect the latter. If so, it gets very hard to quantify 'out of pocket'. And the example of students getting X thousand euro for playing GAA games is even more hard to justify as out of pocket expense.