NFL Division 1 2019 Dubs again?

Started by Dire Ear, November 26, 2018, 04:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dubhaltach

Quote from: Manning18 on March 04, 2019, 05:36:22 PM
Quote from: Dubhaltach on March 03, 2019, 07:18:06 PM

Galway's game management going down the home stretch was superb. Time keeping in gaelic football is a total farce at this stage but Galway exploited it to the max. There was 6 minutes of injury time and 3 of those were stoppages, yet Deegan blew up as soon as the 6 were up...jokeshop. Compare Galway's time wasting in the second half, when they were against the wind, with Mayo. Not one Mayo player tried to slow the game down in the first half when we were against the wind. Mayo need to wise up.

How did he blow up when 6 were up, when Vaughan's last point was scored into the 7th min of added time, and there was two more kickouts after that? 6 mins added was more than fair in the first place. Galway didnt get that in the first half despite injuries. It's accepted practice to take the wind first and try build a lead but a past club manager of ours used to always take it for the second half, on the basis that you'd get far more added at the end of 60 (or 70) than at the end of H1. Hard argue against it

According to the eir sport, Vaughan scored at 76.01. Deegan blew up on the resultant kick out. I wouldn't have a major issue with the allocated 6 minutes of injury time (although I counted 7), it's more the system I have an issue with. A stopclock, similar to rugby, would make things so much more transparent for everyone...players, officials and supporters. It would also sort out the current shit-show going on with the black card as well as lessening the burden on referees. Yet the playing rules committee managed to come up with five other changes that they deemed to be more of priority!

Main Street

Quote from: Dubhaltach on March 04, 2019, 09:40:42 PM

Galway's game management going down the home stretch was superb. Time keeping in gaelic football is a total farce at this stage but Galway exploited it to the max. There was 6 minutes of injury time and 3 of those were stoppages, yet Deegan blew up as soon as the 6 were up...jokeshop. Compare Galway's time wasting in the second half, when they were against the wind, with Mayo. Not one Mayo player tried to slow the game down in the first half when we were against the wind. Mayo need to wise up.

How did he blow up when 6 were up, when Vaughan's last point was scored into the 7th min of added time, and there was two more kickouts after that? 6 mins added was more than fair in the first place. Galway didnt get that in the first half despite injuries. It's accepted practice to take the wind first and try build a lead but a past club manager of ours used to always take it for the second half, on the basis that you'd get far more added at the end of 60 (or 70) than at the end of H1. Hard argue against it

According to the eir sport, Vaughan scored at 76.01. Deegan blew up on the resultant kick out. I wouldn't have a major issue with the allocated 6 minutes of injury time (although I counted 7), it's more the system I have an issue with. A stopclock, similar to rugby, would make things so much more transparent for everyone...players, officials and supporters. It would also sort out the current shit-show going on with the black card as well as lessening the burden on referees. Yet the playing rules committee managed to come up with five other changes that they deemed to be more of priority!
Just get rid of the black card sin bin rather than follow up with more rules in a vain attempt to enforce the exact 10 minute penalty. Teams would find other ways to run the clock down and none of them positive. The sin bin is a blight.

Is the stopclock used in all the  senior (league and championship) ladies games?

Never beat the deeler

Interesting theory. Would be good to see ball-in-play time for both halves. Does anyone provide that stat?
Hasta la victoria siempre

manfromdelmonte

any proposed rules need to be trialed extensively, in a competition where the results matter.
as managers will find all sorts of ways to make use of rules

Maroon Manc

Antaine O'Laoi was dispossessed 3 or 4 times in close contact so his strength is clearly an issue but he's only been on the panel a matter of months, his younger brother looks a lot stronger and more physically developed which is a strange one. I didn't even know he was on the panel after the games against Cavan & Dublin.

GBFM man of the match was Duggan, I have no idea where they've managed to get that from.

From a Mayo point of view those states from the game don't make for good reading; Mayo got on a lot more ball, won a lot more kickouts and had 9 more shots at the posts than Galway.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 05, 2019, 12:50:39 PM
GBFM man of the match was Duggan, I have no idea where they've managed to get that from.

That's a strange one. I'd say he's one of the few Galway players who's stock has actually fallen during the league. I think he's looked a bit laboured at times. I'd only have him as 4th choice midfielder now behind Cooke and Conroy (if he comes back in time and relatively the same player).

cornetto

How do people think relegation will pan out in div 1.i think the rossies might well stay up,their last game could be a dead rubber for kerry.i would not be surprised to see them get at least a pt against galway who themselves are not safe.its cavan and Monaghan for me.

Rossfan

I think Galway are as good as safe now?
Even if they end on 6 only one of Cavan or Monaghan can get a max of 6 but would go down on the head to head.
If Ros or Tyrone make it 3 teams on 6 then score difference comes in.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on March 06, 2019, 10:59:23 AM
I think Galway are as good as safe now?
Even if they end on 6 only one of Cavan or Monaghan can get a max of 6 but would go down on the head to head.
If Ros or Tyrone make it 3 teams on 6 then score difference comes in.

Galway still in more danger than Mayo as their points difference is + 5 and Galways is -7. Monaghan are -11, Cavan are -10 and Roscommon are -13. Mayo would need to be hammered in both games for them to have any chance of going down and even then it would take Galway & Tyrone to draw in the final game and Roscommon beating Galway & Kerry.

GalwayBayBoy

You'd be fairly unlucky to go down with 6 points but it's not impossible depending on other results.

For example, Roscommon could well beat Kerry in the last game. Kerry probably in the league final by then may well rest a fair few.

If Monaghan beat Cavan then they would go to Mayo knowing a win there might potentially save them. Tougher for Cavan as they still have the Dubs to play after that.

If Galway were to lose both remaining games then I think they could easily end up relying on Mayo to do them a favour on the last day.

By the way if there is a 2 way tie on points is the decider points difference or the head to head?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 06, 2019, 02:23:04 PM
You'd be fairly unlucky to go down with 6 points but it's not impossible depending on other results.

For example, Roscommon could well beat Kerry in the last game. Kerry probably in the league final by then may well rest a fair few.

If Monaghan beat Cavan then they would go to Mayo knowing a win there might potentially save them. Tougher for Cavan as they still have the Dubs to play after that.

If Galway were to lose both remaining games then I think they could easily end up relying on Mayo to do them a favour on the last day.

By the way if there is a 2 way tie on points is the decider points difference or the head to head?

2 way tie is head to head, 3 way tie is points difference. Galway could well end up on 6 points with 2 teams they beat in Mayo & Monaghan and still go down.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 06, 2019, 02:53:42 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on March 06, 2019, 02:23:04 PM

2 way tie is head to head, 3 way tie is points difference. Galway could well end up on 6 points with 2 teams they beat in Mayo & Monaghan and still go down.

No team will go down on 6 this year, it happens incredibly rarely.

The year Cork went down on 6, I think it was Down who were adrift on zero points.

manfromdelmonte

I very much doubt Kerry will rest lads for the final round
The new manager is all about systems and structure and he won't miss an opportunity to play his  preferred team together again

Blowitupref

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 06, 2019, 04:38:10 PM
I very much doubt Kerry will rest lads for the final round
The new manager is all about systems and structure and he won't miss an opportunity to play his  preferred team together again

For round 7 Kerry will have the Dr Crokes players available for selection and O'Donoghue,Clifford,Moran,P Geaney should all be back from injury so even if they rest players will they likely have a very strong team starting.

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose