FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

The telegraph is a crap paper that non one pays very much attention to. Tends to have a unionist agenda and at current rate of going will probably go out of business.

AZOffaly

Brian Kerr wasn't exactly gung ho in his own time. He's the one who chickened out of having a go at Israel and not evening looking like having a go in Basel. We went ahead against Israel twice, and both times we completely retreated into our shell until they equalised.

Itchy

Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2017, 01:11:00 PM
Brian Kerr wasn't exactly gung ho in his own time. He's the one who chickened out of having a go at Israel and not evening looking like having a go in Basel. We went ahead against Israel twice, and both times we completely retreated into our shell until they equalised.

If you read it he makes reference to that.

6th sam

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 15, 2017, 11:08:13 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on October 15, 2017, 06:48:40 AM
Good piece by Brian Kerr.
http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/i-take-little-pleasure-or-satisfaction-from-seeing-ireland-play-like-minnows-on-the-back-foot-constantly-36225955.html
Agreed.

Brian, has regrettably falling into the role of a disgruntled former manager who has decided to criticise those who have followed him. Ireland have had several more talented squads including in his own time, with players playing for top premiership clubs. This side has none of those. Even when we had a plethora of top level talent in the 80s and 90s we only were truly competitive when we employed basic route 1 tactics, & thereby were able to get results. In addition , those sides included several players born outside the 26 counties, With our ability to widen the net into the diaspora proving crucial. Though Brian seems not to understand it, there is a sizeable proportion of the North, who have absolutely no affiliation to the NI soccer team , not just on the basis of national identity but because of sectarian problems associated with NI soccer( which tbf the IFA is working very hard to
Eradicate). The FAI have a responsibility to cater for those in the north who have no affinity to NI, and players from the North and Glasgow with a strong affinity to Ireland have been a major part of our success in recent years.
Brian, is a dedicated And knowledgeable soccer man who given his own experience with successful Irish u21 teams probably has a vision of Ireland being able to compete with top international sides on a purely football basis . However, given the fact that soccer hasn't the interest or resources as many other countries, that is unlikely to happen.
We will only be competitive if we widen the net, and tactically play to our strengths, but we'll not be in a position to compete at the very top, in my opinion.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Itchy on October 15, 2017, 01:18:37 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on October 15, 2017, 01:11:00 PM

If you read it he makes reference to that.

Sorry. I started to read it, and he didn;t sound like he was going to acknowledge that, so I just gave up. I'll look again.

Esmarelda

Quote from: 6th sam on October 15, 2017, 01:20:28 PM
http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/i-take-little-pleasure-or-satisfaction-from-seeing-ireland-play-like-minnows-on-the-back-foot-constantly-36225955.html
Agreed.

Brian, has regrettably falling into the role of a disgruntled former manager who has decided to criticise those who have followed him. Ireland have had several more talented squads including in his own time, with players playing for top premiership clubs. This side has none of those. Even when we had a plethora of top level talent in the 80s and 90s we only were truly competitive when we employed basic route 1 tactics, & thereby were able to get results. In addition , those sides included several players born outside the 26 counties, With our ability to widen the net into the diaspora proving crucial. Though Brian seems not to understand it, there is a sizeable proportion of the North, who have absolutely no affiliation to the NI soccer team , not just on the basis of national identity but because of sectarian problems associated with NI soccer( which tbf the IFA is working very hard to
Eradicate). The FAI have a responsibility to cater for those in the north who have no affinity to NI, and players from the North and Glasgow with a strong affinity to Ireland have been a major part of our success in recent years.
Brian, is a dedicated And knowledgeable soccer man who given his own experience with successful Irish u21 teams probably has a vision of Ireland being able to compete with top international sides on a purely football basis . However, given the fact that soccer hasn't the interest or resources as many other countries, that is unlikely to happen.
We will only be competitive if we widen the net, and tactically play to our strengths, but we'll not be in a position to compete at the very top, in my opinion.
It seems to me that Brian Kerr has fallen into the category of giving his honest opinion. Should his previous occupation mean he can't do that?

Forget prior teams. This team has players that can play good football. We don't play good football. That's his general point.

Itchy

Agreed.

There isn't a word about the rights and wrongs of northern players playing with the republic in that article. Why are you trying to get annoyed about something that's not there?

red hander

Quote from: Itchy on October 15, 2017, 02:48:08 PM
Agreed.

There isn't a word about the rights and wrongs of northern players playing with the republic in that article. Why are you trying to get annoyed about something that's not there?

He has been quoted in the past about it. Think he has connections in Ardoyne, which makes his attitude about this issue disappointing considering the amount of shit people in that area have had to put up with over the years. Brian had his chance and he blew it, the little hypocrite

Syferus

Christ, you lads have a serious chip on your shoulders. You'd want to spend some time down south and see how little people in the care about slighting the north. We're just getting on with life.

We don't spend our time imagining every little incident to be some part of a grand conspiracy, even though if either side was to think the other had it out for them it would be the south and not the north.

All you do is drive your biggest allies away by being dîckheads, good luck with where that leads.

red hander

6th sam

Quote from: Syferus on October 15, 2017, 06:52:35 PM
Christ, you lads have a serious chip on your shoulders. You'd want to spend some time down south and see how little people in the care about slighting the north. We're just getting on with life.

We don't spend our time imagining every little incident to be some part of a grand conspiracy, even though if either side was to think the other had it out for them it would be the south and not the north.

All you do is drive your biggest allies away by being dîckheads, good luck with where that leads.
😂my "chip" must be my Connacht blood!
Easy on the personal abuse Syferus .
I agree that there can be an unhealthy paranoia from nordies towards the South but you have obviously been infected with the same paranoia.
Brian Kerr's views on the potential of Irish soccer are deluded, and he has chosen to denigrate the likes of Martin O'Neill and James McClean on a week when the Irish soccer team secured an incredible result in the circumstances. With the best intentions of The irish soccer  fraternity , we will not be able to produce the quantity of flair players of the top countries, from within the confines of the 26 counties. To be competitive we have to widen the net, and play tactics to suit our limitations. History has proven that.
The fact that BRIAN Kerr has clearly stated that he doesn't want to extend the net into every corner of this island , means that he is prepared to weaken our hand but as well as that make the ROI soccer team a "cold house" for those who want to play for or support their country. I'm sorry if it annoys you, Syferus but I find that attitude insulting, but sadly typical of a minority in the south who are overtly antagonistic to northern nationalists . There are millions of people outside of the 26 counties who feel as Irish as those who happen to be born inside the confines of a border imposed less than 100 years ago. Whether it's Scotland England, USA  , the North etc, The millions who define themselves as Irish no matter what jurisdiction they happen to live in, are what makes us punch well above our weight as a nation . Don't further insult that reality by defining it as a chip on a shoulder.

Itchy

I agree with ye, Derry man is just as Irish as a Kerry man. But lads we were commenting on an article which discussed a totally different topic.

rrhf

Lads it's only a bit of craic the auld soccer. Good for the off season.