Keep or do away with the under 21 grade

Started by Portbush, November 12, 2016, 11:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portbush

The club under 21 grade is ran off this time of year and to me it's like just hurry up and get it over with. My opinion club our county doesn't benefit from it.whats the point of it while there is no real benefit. The under 21 grade is here to stay that's what I think so club and county should use it to there advantage. Has anyone any ideas how we could get the most out of this grade.firstly I think it's held at the wrong time of year

High Fielder

Agree 100%. Far more important than Minor/U17. I've often thought that we show very little interest in the group between 17/18-21. Lads coming back at weekends to kick ball on mostly boggy pitches makes very little sense. Some stories about poorly attended training sessions makes you wonder if there is any point at all. But look, you could argue that playing Senior Club matches in late November is an even bigger travesty, so where do you begin and end? Players of all ages play way too much these days, and in general, the GAA is a bit of a mess

Don Draper

Its a good session though, or used to be at least. Be a shame if that element was gone from it too?

SCFC

Portbush

Under 20. Still not going to be of any advantage if it's been played this time of year.

redsetanta

To be honest some of the best games I have seen have been in this age group. It is definately of benefit for the development of players and the transition between minor and senior.

In laois we haven't too many teams at this grade so there's not reason it couldn't be run off over a month or 6 weeks in February or March on weekends when the NFL is not on.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

tcrilly

Quote from: redsetanta on November 22, 2016, 12:00:08 PM
To be honest some of the best games I have seen have been in this age group. It is definately of benefit for the development of players and the transition between minor and senior.

In laois we haven't too many teams at this grade so there's not reason it couldn't be run off over a month or 6 weeks in February or March on weekends when the NFL is not on.

It seems like u21 is fizzeling out but I still think it would be a great medal to have and especially for the guys that play junior or intermediate to let them mix it up with senior players, by the way I apologise as I think I reported your comment to mods by mistake as I'm on my phone but I'm sure I pressed back

LaoisHeart

the coaching they get during the u-21 must be very hard due to weather conditions and pitch states, hence you would have to question it as most of these players have already committed their season to senior grades within their clubs and then to colleges once they return in September/October.  Burn out a factor also

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on November 22, 2016, 12:00:08 PM

That would be the ideal, but I can't imagine intercounty managers allowing it.
I honestly don't know where it could fit in to the fixture schedule.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......