2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 27, 2018, 01:09:50 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 27, 2018, 10:51:31 AM
Strange the difference in reaction to Galway from different pundits. Parkinson has slated Galway since the beginning of the league  and gives them no hope for the summer whilst Tomas O'Se & Ciaran Whelan were very impressed with Galway. I suppose its only natural we hear the comparisons with Roscommon from 2 years ago as its fresh in people's mind; Mayo made a league final in 2012 and it didn't do them any harm later on in the year. I can understand Parkinsons reservations about the systems but he's completeley ignored that there's an influx of some good new talent and that the likes of Comer, Walsh & Brannigan look like they've stepped up a level too. If he wanted to be critical he wouldn't have too look too much further than the kick out strategy or lack of one.

Its only 10 weeks this Sunday to the Mayo game and only 6 weeks from the last round of league fixtures so preparations for both counties will have to be different from last year, Mayo didn't hit form until the 1st weekend in August last year, super 8's final game is that same weekend this year.

Mayo only finished 4th in the table on 7 points in 2012 and the nonsense of semi finals in a group of 8 allowed them to reach the league final. Last time Galway won their first 4 Div 1 NFL games was 2009, that summer Galway ended up losing to Mayo and failed to reach the last eight of the championship could history repeat itself this summer?

Galway may as well finish up for the season now with that damming evidence.

seafoid

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 27, 2018, 02:25:54 PM
Strange the difference in reaction to Galway from different pundits. Parkinson has slated Galway since the beginning of the league  and gives them no hope for the summer whilst Tomas O'Se & Ciaran Whelan were very impressed with Galway. I suppose its only natural we hear the comparisons with Roscommon from 2 years ago as its fresh in people's mind; Mayo made a league final in 2012 and it didn't do them any harm later on in the year. I can understand Parkinsons reservations about the systems but he's completeley ignored that there's an influx of some good new talent and that the likes of Comer, Walsh & Brannigan look like they've stepped up a level too. If he wanted to be critical he wouldn't have too look too much further than the kick out strategy or lack of one.

Its only 10 weeks this Sunday to the Mayo game and only 6 weeks from the last round of league fixtures so preparations for both counties will have to be different from last year, Mayo didn't hit form until the 1st weekend in August last year, super 8's final game is that same weekend this year.

Mayo only finished 4th in the table on 7 points in 2012 and the nonsense of semi finals in a group of 8 allowed them to reach the league final. Last time Galway won their first 4 Div 1 NFL games was 2009, that summer Galway ended up losing to Mayo and failed to reach the last eight of the championship could history repeat itself this summer?

Or they won't repeat 2009 and you can just believe on the evidence of 4 league games that Galway are back to their best and will be All Ireland contenders this summer.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 27, 2018, 03:14:05 PM

Or they won't repeat 2009 and you can just believe on the evidence of 4 league games that Galway are back to their best and will be All Ireland contenders this summer.

There isn't a poster on here from Galway who's suggested they are All Ireland contenders. Staying in Div 1 and qualifying for an AI semi is the height of expectations and even then making the super 8's and giving a good account of themselves would satisfy most.

An Fhairche Abu

It's almost like we'll just have to see how the entire year pans out first before making any definitive judgement on the Galway footballers 2018 edition, who'd thunk it!?!?!

GrandMasterFlash

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 27, 2018, 03:38:39 PM

It's almost like we'll just have to see how the entire year pans out first before making any definitive judgement on the Galway footballers 2018 edition, who'd thunk it!?!?!

Flippant or not, you are correct in your judgement, as history has shown many times that nothing is won in April.. (which is when the league final is scheduled for  ;))

seafoid

It might be worth putting a fiver on the double in 2020

Captain Obvious

Absolutely. Right now Galway shouldn't be paying much attention to what any pundits in the national media says as even the ones that are building them up will probably be the first to strongly criticize them if things turn for the worst.

An Fhairche Abu

For pundits it is very hard to have in depth knowledge of every team but again a lot of the time they just don't have the familiarity outside of their own county and Dublin/Mayo/Kerry. Some pundits will just look at the results at this time of year and make the judgement according to that without any reference to the performance, particularly down the divisions.
To be fair to Parkinson he is not doing that in the example about and I personally enjoy the GAA hour usually. I have issues with Galway at the moment looking towards the summer myself but not for the same reasons as Parkinson at all. If Colm wanted to do some better analysis of Galway's likely problem for the summer he needs to look at the frankly very worrying kick out issues on both our own and the oppositions restarts and I put no blame on Lavelle for this either.
It's no coincidence at all that when Conroy and whoever is in midfield with him have been well held without any impact in championship games that we've got creased. Galway do not have a Paul Galvin-esque player around to hoover up the breaks either, I've been at or seen every league game in full and the only one where Galway have come out on top around the middle was the Tyrone match. The scoring conversion rate has been generally very good apart from the goal chance misses against Kerry on Sunday but if that drops to an average/below average level and they still have less possession than the opposition? Not a recipe for success.

Quote from: Captain Obvious on February 27, 2018, 04:10:10 PM
Absolutely. Right now Galway shouldn't be paying much attention to what any pundits in the national media says as even the ones that are building them up will probably be the first to strongly criticize them if things turn for the worst.
If they've any cop they won't pay any attention anyway. The long and the short of it is that Galway have no real championship pedigree lately and if the team goes out as tamely as last year later on in the summer then they will be slaughtered by both pundit and supporter alike.
Division One status is assured so the other aim is to make the Super 8's and perform to a reasonable level when in it, whether that is by the front or back door is irrelevant compared to Mayo's position. I've said it here before but I think Mayo simply have to go via the front door this year to lessen the amount of games their first 15 have to play and every match week in Division one just confirms that viewpoint for me, I think they will be more than ready to go this year and it will take a mammoth effort from Galway to beat them on May 13th.

mouview

Quote from: GrandMasterFlash on February 27, 2018, 03:41:32 PM

Flippant or not, you are correct in your judgement, as history has shown many times that nothing is won in April.. (which is when the league final is scheduled for  ;))

Recent history has shown that the 2017 hurling league winners used it as a springboard for a very successful championship run. ;)  ;)

Maroon Manc

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 27, 2018, 06:11:40 PM

For pundits it is very hard to have in depth knowledge of every team but again a lot of the time they just don't have the familiarity outside of their own county and Dublin/Mayo/Kerry. Some pundits will just look at the results at this time of year and make the judgement according to that without any reference to the performance, particularly down the divisions.
To be fair to Parkinson he is not doing that in the example about and I personally enjoy the GAA hour usually. I have issues with Galway at the moment looking towards the summer myself but not for the same reasons as Parkinson at all. If Colm wanted to do some better analysis of Galway's likely problem for the summer he needs to look at the frankly very worrying kick out issues on both our own and the oppositions restarts and I put no blame on Lavelle for this either.
It's no coincidence at all that when Conroy and whoever is in midfield with him have been well held without any impact in championship games that we've got creased. Galway do not have a Paul Galvin-esque player around to hoover up the breaks either, I've been at or seen every league game in full and the only one where Galway have come out on top around the middle was the Tyrone match. The scoring conversion rate has been generally very good apart from the goal chance misses against Kerry on Sunday but if that drops to an average/below average level and they still have less possession than the opposition? Not a recipe for success.

If they've any cop they won't pay any attention anyway. The long and the short of it is that Galway have no real championship pedigree lately and if the team goes out as tamely as last year later on in the summer then they will be slaughtered by both pundit and supporter alike.
Division One status is assured so the other aim is to make the Super 8's and perform to a reasonable level when in it, whether that is by the front or back door is irrelevant compared to Mayo's position. I've said it here before but I think Mayo simply have to go via the front door this year to lessen the amount of games their first 15 have to play and every match week in Division one just confirms that viewpoint for me, I think they will be more than ready to go this year and it will take a mammoth effort from Galway to beat them on May 13th.

I've only been over to the Mayo game and seeing it on the TV doesn't show you everything. I think we've all documented how poor Galway have been on their own kickouts in the 3 championship defeats in the last 2 years and until it improves this team won't be contenders. Its farcial at this stage that we're still commenting on it.

The management team will obviously be aware of the issue and I'd like to think that serious work will go into this in the 6 weeks between the end of the league and the championship, there's not enough movement and when there is Lavelle is very hesitant. I can recall Bradshaw had found in himself in enough space twice to receive the ball against Mayo but Lavelle wasn't confident enough to execute the kick and went long instead. Conroy isn't good enough in the air to compete against better fielders whilst Cooke is a work in progress. We just don't win enough breaking ball, reckon the stats would show they'd only win at most 40% during the league so far. I'd like to think the addition of Daly should help around the middle, Sean Kelly is just too lightweight but I'm sure thats something he's working hard on. I do think Power is a superior kicker of the ball but missing the whole league campaign is clearly a huge disadvantage.

There is a 3 week gap to the first round of the qualifiers so if Galway lose to Mayo its not the end of the world, they've enough time to recover and get their heads right.

seafoid

Quote from: Maroon Manc on February 28, 2018, 10:56:08 AM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on February 27, 2018, 06:11:40 PM

I've only been over to the Mayo game and seeing it on the TV doesn't show you everything. I think we've all documented how poor Galway have been on their own kickouts in the 3 championship defeats in the last 2 years and until it improves this team won't be contenders. Its farcial at this stage that we're still commenting on it.

The management team will obviously be aware of the issue and I'd like to think that serious work will go into this in the 6 weeks between the end of the league and the championship, there's not enough movement and when there is Lavelle is very hesitant. I can recall Bradshaw had found in himself in enough space twice to receive the ball against Mayo but Lavelle wasn't confident enough to execute the kick and went long instead. Conroy isn't good enough in the air to compete against better fielders whilst Cooke is a work in progress. We just don't win enough breaking ball, reckon the stats would show they'd only win at most 40% during the league so far. I'd like to think the addition of Daly should help around the middle, Sean Kelly is just too lightweight but I'm sure thats something he's working hard on. I do think Power is a superior kicker of the ball but missing the whole league campaign is clearly a huge disadvantage.

There is a 3 week gap to the first round of the qualifiers so if Galway lose to Mayo its not the end of the world, they've enough time to recover and get their heads right.
tightening up the backs was probably deemed more urgent. I'm sure the kickouts will be a priority for the championship. They seem to be thinking strategically which is encouraging. Paddy Tally has made a big difference.
With all the injuries and the Corofin absences the league to date has been a pleasant surprise.

seafoid

There was a League podcast on the Indo and Kildare came up. The results have been consistent enough- several one point losses but they lost all 4 matches. Tomas O se was wondering if there was something psychological holding them back. They are not a bad team.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/the-throwin-kerry-need-to-wise-up-galways-new-system-and-why-dublin-hurling-wont-be-built-in-a-day-36644721.html

Main Street

It looks pretty bad for Tyrone when Monaghan don't even get a mention in that podcast for beating them. As if to say Tyrone were not worth it,  that beating them wasn't even worth mentioning.

stew

Quote from: Main Street on March 01, 2018, 12:41:20 AM
It looks pretty bad for Tyrone when Monaghan don't even get a mention in that podcast for beating them. As if to say Tyrone were not worth it,  that beating them wasn't even worth mentioning.

I hate the feckers but they are worth beating as they are quality and it is very much worth mentioning if you do! I would say the slight has not been missed by Mr harte and co.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.